Thread: Need some help setting up FG conversion

Tuner

Need some help setting up FG conversion

Hey I'm new to this and need a bit of help learning the settings. I've put a 2010 FG n/a Barra into a Nissan Patrol and need some tips for setting up the pcm correctly.
    I have it running/ drivable but it still needs some tweaking with the following:

-I keep getting returning fault codes for the rear O2 sensor, and the EVAP purge circuit. How do you disable them correctly, because the settings I have used don't seem to have worked.

-The cooling fans run as soon as the engine is started. They are off when the ignition is on, but come on when the engine is started.

-How do make the accel pedal more sensitive at low speed/ takeoff. My pcm is from the ZF 6 speed, and now the engine is bolted to a manual. It stalls easily because the pedal seems a bit unresponsive.

-The dashpot needs to be bumped up a bit, but I'm unsure about what I need to change in the menus.

-Referring to the VCM scanner, my engine appears to only run in open loop with an O2 voltage of around 0.05V. How do I find out what is preventing it from going into closed loop.

Sorry if these are all retarded questions, but I can't find much help info for beginners. Everything I've found so far only covers the initial installation of the software.
    Cheers in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    the fans come on because there is no valid speed source. i've no idea how to fix it, people don't really share info much for conversions, its difficult to get to the bottom of that kind of thing from research.

evap has a setting under the fuel tab and the o2 sensor can be turned off under engine -> general.

Tuner
    I've got the O2 sensor set at 'Sensors fitted: 1' and 'rear config: none', and both the evap purge switches set as disabled, but I still get DTC's logged for both of them. Is that normal?
    Any ideas as to what is causing it to run in open loop?

Advanced Tuner
    no idea about the open loop issue, post up your tune. you may have to disable those codes individually but i havent had to.

Tuner
    I've attached a copy of my current tune file. I've only done the basic stuff with it; auto to manual, switched PATS, dropped the fan temps a little bit, O2 disable.
    If you wouldn't mind having a flick through it and see what I need to change I'd really appreciate it.
    HP don't seem to offer beginners much instruction for their product. The help page only gives you one sentence about each setting .
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by patrol_maverick; 07-23-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Advanced Tuner
    yeah there is really not much info for aus ford tuning for beginners to understand what they need to learn, its pretty difficult when starting out. just have a real good read through the forums and try do as much single changes vs datalogging as you can. i understand you can't learn everything through datalogging though

Advanced Tuner
    just disable those codes, you do have the right stuff disabled for those codes but ford codes work strangely.
    also with the throttle stuff, try the settings in that tune i posted, they are different and should be better, i've not had anyone complain with those settings.

Advanced Tuner
    you could also try some of the idle settings in that tune, see if that helps at all.

Advanced Tuner
    You may have already, but make sure to copy over as much of the manual tune settings over as possible.
    The main being Idle Airflow, Dashpost Airflow, Map per airmas and Map per airmas zero.
    I would also make sure to copy all the spark tables.
    This is your best starting point.

Its usually just a big copy then paste of each table at a time but sometimes the axis numbers may need to be changed. Should take less than 10 min.
    Last edited by turbotrana; 07-24-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Whats signal type does the patrol box put out? You need a speed reference or you will run into stalling issues as the car won't go into idle feeback mode under 8kmh and hence it will stall easily.

I use a couple of different signal convetors depending on the type of out put from the box to give the PCM the 5v sqaure signal it needs. Actual correlation throught the whole speed range is less important than acurate correlation between 20 kmh and stationary
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Advanced Tuner
    the problem being that the fg pcms dont accept a speed input at pin b7, you would need to use a 5spd pcm specifically and use the oss in the 3rd plug.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hiddeous View Post
    Whats signal type does the patrol box put out? You need a speed reference or you will run into stalling issues as the car won't go into idle feeback mode under 8kmh and hence it will stall easily.

I use a couple of different signal convetors depending on the type of out put from the box to give the PCM the 5v sqaure signal it needs. Actual correlation throught the whole speed range is less important than acurate correlation between 20 kmh and stationary
    The Patrol has an A/C output so I guess its probably an inductive speed sensor.
    I've attached a pic from when I scoped the signal at work on arvo.
    What sort of signal converter do you use for this style signal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Use a reluctor to 5v square convertor. I've used these -http://www.wolfems.com.au/products/reluctor-1-single-channel

The speed correlation will be off once the road speed gets up there but the main aim it to give the car accurrate reference under 20km so the PCM know when to pull in the idle control.

This will work in a manual application but not with an auto obviously.
    04 Velocity MKII M6 & 06 BF F6 555 ZF6

Tuner
    That's not a bad price compared to some other similar items that are out there.