Thread: Start video b4 start timing?

Start video b4 start timing?

Is there a way to start the video about 30 sec. b4 timing?

I have start & finish points set, but I would like to record some "commentary" on the autox run b4 and after the timing.

App is working on my Nexus 6p, however I still only get the little preview box during the run, not full screen. Any way to go full screen?

This should be possible for Segment mode when you have a specific start point defined... By default, it will start recording if the vehicle is stopped, or if when it comes to a stop (there's also an on-screen button to press to make it record right away), and then the actual timing will not start until you cross that start line. Just be careful if driving near that start line, as you may prematurely trigger it. For autocross, it's almost always a very good idea to set the Start and Finish line tolerances to "Narrow", to limit the possibility of false triggers.

I am still unsure of why your device is not showing the full recording screen for you. That's something that I'm keep an eye out for, but have not been able to reproduce the issue here as of yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    This should be possible for Segment mode when you have a specific start point defined... By default, it will start recording if the vehicle is stopped, or if when it comes to a stop (there's also an on-screen button to press to make it record right away), and then the actual timing will not start until you cross that start line. Just be careful if driving near that start line, as you may prematurely trigger it. For autocross, it's almost always a very good idea to set the Start and Finish line tolerances to "Narrow", to limit the possibility of false triggers.

I am still unsure of why your device is not showing the full recording screen for you. That's something that I'm keep an eye out for, but have not been able to reproduce the issue here as of yet...
    Thanks,

When I am "in line" and pulling up one car at a time, I press the record button to get a little pre run conversation between driver & passenger. The "problem" is the button press also starts the timer. So how would I do this and NOT start the timer? The start/finish points are set using gps coordinates. I want the timer to go on/off when I pass those gps points so it will be close to official time.

At this point it is not working the way you describe.

Thanks!

I press the little record button up at the very top and then I press the bigger record now button in the center of the screen.
    Last edited by froggy47; 07-26-2016 at 12:17 PM.

That can get a little tricky when you are staging (or moving up in line) close to the start line, as it may be mistaking your movement for the start of your run, and then gets confused when you slow back down and/or due to normal GPS fluctuations.

But there are a few things you can do to improve your success in this situation:

1) Ensure that a start point is set precisely. I like to have the track setting screen open for a bit (so it has plenty of time to acquire a good GPS fix), then stand right in between the timing lights for a moment and press the "Set Point Here" button.
    2) When it takes you to the map view screen, be sure to set the start line's Tolerance to "Narrow". This will reduce the area that could potentially trigger the start of timing.
    3) When you are moving up to the start, try to keep it under 5 MPH. That will further help eliminate a false start.

We've been getting pretty good results using tips #1 and #2 for the autocross portion of Optima USC events. We don't have the ability to control the drivers, so tip #3 goes out the window, but it seems to have been working pretty well regardless. Their timing lights are typically spaced a small distance from the actual start cones, very much like how I've seen SCCA do it, so we set the start and finish points between the actual lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    That can get a little tricky when you are staging (or moving up in line) close to the start line, as it may be mistaking your movement for the start of your run, and then gets confused when you slow back down and/or due to normal GPS fluctuations.

But there are a few things you can do to improve your success in this situation:

1) Ensure that a start point is set precisely. I like to have the track setting screen open for a bit (so it has plenty of time to acquire a good GPS fix), then stand right in between the timing lights for a moment and press the "Set Point Here" button.
    2) When it takes you to the map view screen, be sure to set the start line's Tolerance to "Narrow". This will reduce the area that could potentially trigger the start of timing.
    3) When you are moving up to the start, try to keep it under 5 MPH. That will further help eliminate a false start.

We've been getting pretty good results using tips #1 and #2 for the autocross portion of Optima USC events. We don't have the ability to control the drivers, so tip #3 goes out the window, but it seems to have been working pretty well regardless. Their timing lights are typically spaced a small distance from the actual start cones, very much like how I've seen SCCA do it, so we set the start and finish points between the actual lights.

will do, I always pull up slow so #3 I am already doing.

So I am hitting the controls in the correct sequence?

Quote Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
    will do, I always pull up slow so #3 I am already doing.

So I am hitting the controls in the correct sequence?

I believe so... In this case, it should only start timing if you either didn't have a start point set (ie it's in auto-start mode and starts upon any movement from a stop), or in the odd case of being very close to the start line and exceeding 5 mph. The recording would start whenever you came to a stop, but the actual timing will start later, based on what I've described.