Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is "5 popcorn" under torque airlimit source?

What the heck is "5 popcorn" under torque airlimit source?

I raised some trans limits per another persons post and I'm getting slightly more boost but it's hitting a "5 popcorn" limit at the same time as hitting TQ Red. < Driver Demand and Comb. Stability limits. I have everything on Combustion stability limits maxed so I'm not sure why there's there. 2016 F150 v5.5.hpl2016 F150 v5.5.hpl2016 F150 v5.5.hpl

Here the log:

The SHOs don't have the Torque Airlimit Source PID, so I can't even check my logs.

How does the WGDC look for that boost? It looks like your MAP is seeing good boost through the RPM range.

That limit is your LSPI load limit tables. There is a High, Nominal, and Low depending on what your Learned Octane Adjustment value is.

Tuner in Training

Popcorn is the new black.......

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    I raised some trans limits per another persons post and I'm getting slightly more boost but it's hitting a "5 popcorn" limit at the same time as hitting TQ Red. < Driver Demand and Comb. Stability limits. I have everything on Combustion stability limits maxed so I'm not sure why there's there. 2016 F150 v5.5.hpl2016 F150 v5.5.hpl2016 F150 v5.5.hpl

Here the log:
    Before 2015 Popcorn Limit was when you didn't have enough timing for the load you are running.... it seems the logic is different on the new trucks.

On the 15-16 trucks, Popcorn is WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
    Before 2015 Popcorn Limit was when you didn't have enough timing for the load you are running.... it seems the logic is different on the new trucks.

On the 15-16 trucks, Popcorn is WOT.
    1. What does the 5 mean?

2. WOT limit? The TB is not always closed when it's hitting a 5 popcorn limit

3. Adjusting the LSPI tables higher (they were already raised from stock) did not help. I went as high as 2.5 accross the board with FMEM set to 3.0. These adjustments still have me limited to 1.8 load and as soon as desired TQ from load control goes below 1.80 then the 5 popcorn goes away.

4. I was able to get boost up with the TTL and LTT table but it was more than I wanted and after the second run would cause a check engine light and made the truck feel like it was going to have run-away throttle. I guess I didn't take enough of a baby step. I think with a couple hours of reworking the tables I can do this sorted out. It's just very time consuming.

Tuner in Training
    You have some other limiter active... This tune made 500tq and 400HP to the wheels.... It will ride the popcorn limit the whole time. Made some improvements since this log to keep the throttle open...

KR54.hpl

Quote Originally Posted by mattr66 View Post
    You have some other limiter active... This tune made 500tq and 400HP to the wheels.... It will ride the popcorn limit the whole time. Made some improvements since this log to keep the throttle open...

KR54.hpl
    You have a log of it with the throttle angle being logged and it still showing the popcorn limit?

I have been doing some work on this.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    That log does have throttle angle in it...

And look at the name for the WOT fuel tables, I think it is supposed to run on popcorn....LOL That sounds funny.
    Last edited by mattr66; 08-01-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Are you using e85 by any chance?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Are you using e85 by any chance?
    Nope, not enough fuel flow for that without some multipoint injection or methanol.

Just asking because us e85 is made from corn, and it'd be a funny joke if it runs on popcorn...

Guys, I am working directly with a few guys out in the field. We will resolve the issue and share the fix soon enough.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

1. What does the 5 mean?

2. WOT limit? The TB is not always closed when it's hitting a 5 popcorn limit

3. Adjusting the LSPI tables higher (they were already raised from stock) did not help. I went as high as 2.5 accross the board with FMEM set to 3.0. These adjustments still have me limited to 1.8 load and as soon as desired TQ from load control goes below 1.80 then the 5 popcorn goes away.

4. I was able to get boost up with the TTL and LTT table but it was more than I wanted and after the second run would cause a check engine light and made the truck feel like it was going to have run-away throttle. I guess I didn't take enough of a baby step. I think with a couple hours of reworking the tables I can do this sorted out. It's just very time consuming.
    I re-looked at your logs. My first assessment on LSPI was off, that's a different source of 5 I'm thinking of and

I believe you're running into the Part Throttle combustion stability limit. How it works is outside of power demand fueling, load is limited according to the Part Throttle 3D table load limit. Its essentially the max load allowed for stoich fueling. It's adjusted by the Learned Octane Value as well, but that may not be available on your strategy.

When you go into Power Demand, it automatically ramps to the max value (which also limits the max value regardless at the same time). I'm guessing your max value is less than the load you're aiming for now.

If you don't have these, hopefully Eric can get them added soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Guys, I am working directly with a few guys out in the field. We will resolve the issue and share the fix soon enough.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    I re-looked at your logs. My first assessment on LSPI was off, that's a different source of 5 I'm thinking of and

I believe you're running into the Part Throttle combustion stability limit. How it works is outside of power demand fueling, load is limited according to the Part Throttle 3D table load limit. Its essentially the max load allowed for stoich fueling. It's adjusted by the Learned Octane Value as well, but that may not be available on your strategy.

When you go into Power Demand, it automatically ramps to the max value (which also limits the max value regardless at the same time). I'm guessing your max value is less than the load you're aiming for now.

I don't have Max load under part throttle or WOT clip under ETC TM.

engine TM general.png

All that is there currently, I think there is something else going on with the F-150s. We aren't seeing these same limits on the 2.3Ls
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

All that is there currently, I think there is something else going on with the F-150s. We aren't seeing these same limits on the 2.3Ls
    On his Max Load is under TM->general->Part Petal
    I have a Max Load under Airflow->General->Desired Air Mass
    Are these the same?

On his Max Load is under TM->general->Part Petal
    I have a Max Load under Airflow->General->Desired Air Mass
    Are these the same?
    No
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

No
    Is that something specific to the SHO or do we need it added to our F150 calibration?

Some parameters are not in every calibration. I will double check this.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

To be clear, are you talking about the Max Load that is 2.5 in your picture or Combustion max? I already said I don't have the Max Load like you do there but my Combustion Max is, and was from the factory, set at 3.0 across the board.

As far as load, I'm able to get load up decently high, 1.95 in the mid range going down to 1.79ish on the top. It just doesn't feel like it has the power it should at those levels.

I did make a screw up on the TTL and LTT tables once and it ran like a bat out of hell until it hit limp mode and threw a codes that said TQ calculation error. I saw boost just a hair under 20lbs but haven't been able to maintain more than 17lbs. I was logging this but sometimes it freaks out and loses half the PIDs I have logging and this was one of those times.

It sucks because it's a friends truck so I have little access to it except when we are both free. He said I might be able to have it most of the day tomorrow, crossing my fingers because it's really bugging me not having this running tip top yet. (P.S. I fixed the TTL and LTT tables but haven't been able to run them yet).
    Last edited by mechanicboy; 08-05-2016 at 04:32 PM.