Thread: IAT sensor conversion

Tuner in Training

IAT sensor conversion

I'm new to HP tuners and have been trying to read a ton of info in a very short amount of time. There's one thing so far that has me stumped. I have a 2003 5.3 that I put an LSA supercharger on with a ZL1 intercooler lid. I'm trying to use the IAT sensor in the lid. The ZL1 computer uses resistance as the x-axis in the table. The 5.3 computer uses % as the x-axis in the table. Does anyone have the values that will correctly calibrate the ZL1 IAT2 sensor to work with the 5.3 computer? Thanks for any help

Senior Tuner
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. I think I'm going to change the port on the supercharger lid to 3/8 pipe and use a syclone IAT sensor. From what I have read, the scaling on it should work with a gen 3 computer? That way I don't have to use the pull up resistor and calculate the scaling to use the ZL1 IAT sensor.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lstoys View Post
    Thank you. I think I'm going to change the port on the supercharger lid to 3/8 pipe and use a syclone IAT sensor. From what I have read, the scaling on it should work with a gen 3 computer? That way I don't have to use the pull up resistor and calculate the scaling to use the ZL1 IAT sensor.
    Did you ever get this figured out?? I am doing the same thing. 2000 GMC Sierra, LSA blower, P59 PCM and ZL1 IAT in lid. I have read with the ZL1 sensor the stock Ls1/Ls6 IAT curve will work, but I have no idea.

Senior Tuner
    This is a very old thread. The LSA IAT (not in the MAF, but in supercharger) and the stock LS1 IAT calibration is the same.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    This is a very old thread. The LSA IAT (not in the MAF, but in supercharger) and the stock LS1 IAT calibration is the same.
    Thank you for confirming!! I tried using the LS3 MAF IAT scale but my reading was 20+ degrees low. Since I will be using the LSA IAT in the lid I will load the LS1 IAT calibration and see if this corrects the reading.

One question- the LS1 curve looks like the reading at 0 percent is 126.1 degrees- what happens if air temp is over 126 degrees? Sorry if this is a silly question. I have a high quality HX but if ambient is 100 degrees I would think IAT temps could easily exceed 126 in a max effort situation. Thanks again for the help.

The LS3 IAT is the one in the MAF, and it's a 50K thermistor. All the 2-pin IATs that screw in are 100K.

Quote Originally Posted by jgfnova View Post
    One question- the LS1 curve looks like the reading at 0 percent is 126.1 degrees- what happens if air temp is over 126 degrees? Sorry if this is a silly question. I have a high quality HX but if ambient is 100 degrees I would think IAT temps could easily exceed 126 in a max effort situation. Thanks again for the help.
    Make sure you don't have the units changed to *C. And make sure you're looking at a stock file - all of them I have show 283.8 *F at 0%.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Make sure you don't have the units changed to *C. And make sure you're looking at a stock file - all of them I have show 283.8 *F at 0%.
    That's the difference!!! I was looking at a *C chart- MUCH APPERCIATED!!!