Thread: Vortec 454 tune

Potential Tuner

Vortec 454 tune

Im putting a vortec 454 in my 78 Camaro with a th400 transmission and 3.42s out back. I've done an egr, purge valve and ac delete. I'm waiting on headers and the piping to do my cold air intake to be delivered to finish my install. The engine is out of a 99 c3500 stock ecm as well as all stock internals. What's a good tune to start with.

What ecm are you using? Post your tune someone will help.

Advanced Tuner
    as stated above post your tune. there are a couple of us 5.7/7.1 vortec guys around here most of us more than willing to help. like Road said we need to know what ecm your using, i have found its honestly a little easier to tune the 5.7.7.1 vortec engines than the ls engines. but thats just me if your on the ropes about which ecm to use id'e suggest the 0411 pcm from the 01-02 year models.

Potential Tuner
    I have the stock 4 connector black box and bone stock tune on the ecm I'm waiting on headers and piping for cold air intake then I'll be able to start on the tuning aspect

Hptuners supports 98 and newer silverado 7.4 so you can tune your 99 ecm. If all you're after is disabling the DTC's for the emissions equipment you removed you should be fine using your "black box" ecm.

With that said an 0411 ecm swap is pretty easy and now would be the time to do it before you use 2 credits to license your 99 black box ecm. Personally I didn't really have a problem with the black box ecm until I wanted to get the idle perfect with my lt hotcam.

The biggest reasons to go to an 0411 in my opinion are
    #1 Its very similar to the LS1 ecm's as far as tuning goes. All the tutorials and info on here is pretty much a direct fit. With the black box ecm some of your tables use different data.
    #2 Hptuners has several custom operating systems for them including 2 and 3 bar OS's. A no brainer for boost.

With headers you really ought to calibrate your VE and MAF tables (which needs a wideband). Also probably be able to add some timing especially if running premium gas.

So I guess my advice is start with what you've got and calibrate it for your specific application. That's tuning!
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Potential Tuner
    After reading several other forums and the advice I've got here I'm going to get the 0411 ecm for the simple fact I will eventually be stepping up to a larger cam as well as a top end redo to aluminum heads and an aftermarket fuel injection intake and throttle body I'm just work with what I have I found an 0411 ecm on eBay for $75 no flash on it can I upload a factory tune to it of hp tuners vcm suite and what vehicle would you suggest to start the tune with

With a 350 vortec 0411 swap the OS to use is the 02 chevy express van. It was one (or possibly the only) factory application of the 0411 ecm / V8 / distrubutor. I believe that would work for you also, but there may be a better OS for using a big block that I don't know of. When buying an ecm I would probably try to get one already loaded with the OS I wanted. All you need to do then is spend 2 credits to license it. If you use HPtuners to change from 1 OS to another it takes 4 credits. Possibly one with no flash would work just as well, I never had one like that.
    1999 s10 blazer trailblazer edition nv3500 swap
    2006 GMC ccsb 4x4 duramax/allison

Advanced Tuner
    I have been furiously tuning a 7.4 with a 411, and almost got it completed. Once its dialed, I could send it to you. Its a great starter tune. It has a very mild cam, so you would need to rework your VE and MAF tables.
    Thanks,

Dustin

Potential Tuner
    Good info. Asylumwarp, you have a PM.
    1970 GTO - 1999 f-body LS1/4L60e, SS3600 stall, milled P&P 799's, Torquer V2, Typhoon 85/85 intake/TB, LT's, SVO green tops, SD tune.

1970 C10 - Vortec 454/4L80e, Merc 454 Mag cam/springs, 0411 swap IN PROCESS

Potential Tuner
    so I have a quick question. I have the 411 and need it flashed for my 5.7 l31 vortec. where can I get this tune and would I download it to my truck after I get the wiring done. and can I change the vin number at the same time. with only using my 2 credits.
    Last edited by smitty82; 11-04-2016 at 04:51 PM.

new be here. i have a 1999 vortec 7.4 with 4L80E 411 gears. just put small cam. would like to get your map. thanks
    Jerry

Advanced Tuner
    I tuned a 99 454/4l80e truck a couple months ago. For some reason it was commanding the converter to lockup up while WOT. I changed all the normal stuff to keep it from locking up but the PCM was still commanding it. I talked to someone with more tuning GM experience than me and he said there was probably another table/switch that wasn't mapped allowing the PCM to still lock it up.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    I tuned a 99 454/4l80e truck a couple months ago. For some reason it was commanding the converter to lockup up while WOT. I changed all the normal stuff to keep it from locking up but the PCM was still commanding it. I talked to someone with more tuning GM experience than me and he said there was probably another table/switch that wasn't mapped allowing the PCM to still lock it up.
    The PCM has Lockup tables that are used in WOT/Kickdown mode only.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Asylumwarp View Post
    I have been furiously tuning a 7.4 with a 411, and almost got it completed. Once its dialed, I could send it to you. Its a great starter tune. It has a very mild cam, so you would need to rework your VE and MAF tables.
    Another newby planning this swap to an 87 k10, I have already picked up the 0411 ecm and repinned the harness. I have a couple wires still in the original plug did anyone else have this issue? Are you still offering your tune to get it started?

Potential Tuner
    I need help getting the factory tune for mt 98 454 vortec did something and now it wont start and injectors are not working. Any help would be great as I have to go to work in the morning.. All oe black box K2500 W/4l80E
    Last edited by JTDiesel; 08-26-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JTDiesel View Post
    I need help getting the factory tune for mt 98 454 vortec did something and now it wont start and injectors are not working. Any help would be great as I have to go to work in the morning.. All oe black box K2500 W/4l80E
    Did you ever get the factory tune? i need one as a starting point. i have a '99 K25 w/4l80E that just runs terribly. I bought it used and i can tell someone has been in the computer because several of the DTC have been disabled. I suspect they also tried some other things but did not know what they were doing. It idles at about 14* timing but then drops to 10* when accelerating. Also has a bad misfire that i can't find. Almost seems like it is getting too much fuel.