Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some tuning from a newb

I zeroed best drivability and fuel economy and did a quick run around the block. It looks like it stays in MP0 almost all the time other than WOT. Once WOT it climbs through the MP points to OP and stays there. Enable%load is zero and enable throttle around 60 tapering down to 10 at higher rpm. Not quite the result I expected. Seems like you lose your VVT out of OP when doing it this way. Great for a CJ or some type of race car, which is probably why it's setup that way in their calibration.
    Last edited by bbrooks98; 08-03-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    that doesn't sound very good for a street car... maybe for a drag car it would be good but id like to retain vvt. i want to know how to adjust it to where it just stays in op when at wot. i mean if i have to ill just adjust mp9 but id prefer to figure out why it isn't staying in op and fix that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Looking over your tune, make the following changes and you should see the ECMuse the OP mapped point as soon as you go WOT

Engine>Airflow>Variable Camshaft>OP Enrichment Req> set to "Disabled"

When that setting is enabled for some reason the car will not start using OP spark table until 6500 RPM. My car was the exact sameway
    Mine is enabled and uses the the OP table right away. Thats weird, lol these cars with their many many settings drive me crazy.

Senior Tuner
    These settings work well. The car will normally run in Best Fuel Economy but switch right to OP when you get on it with less hunting in the middle from disabling some of the middle mapped points.

This tune does have no knock sensors turned on and I wouldn't normally recommend this but the car is a friends car that we know has a muffler that rattles like crazy causing false knock that just hasn't been replaced yet. I know what timing the car is safe with from previous tuning and it's just a temporary tune while waiting on a replacement muffler.

WillOffRoadXNoKnockSensors.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueprint View Post
    Mine is enabled and uses the the OP table right away. Thats weird, lol these cars with their many many settings drive me crazy.
    Yeah I wonder if its something related to strategies. Mine would not go into OP tables until 6500+ RPM. This was stock 13' GT strategy. Not sure if 11/12 are different. But either way, I turn it off

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    These settings work well. The car will normally run in Best Fuel Economy but switch right to OP when you get on it with less hunting in the middle from disabling some of the middle mapped points.

This tune does have no knock sensors turned on and I wouldn't normally recommend this but the car is a friends car that we know has a muffler that rattles like crazy causing false knock that just hasn't been replaced yet. I know what timing the car is safe with from previous tuning and it's just a temporary tune while waiting on a replacement muffler.

WillOffRoadXNoKnockSensors.hpt
    It'd be nice to get an idea how these distance tables work together. It seems like there is a few modes the ECM can choose from to adjust the VCT and call on certain spark/torque MP tables like Best fuel econ, Best drivability, stability etc. Those modes each have trigger points under the pedal enable stuff when to be enabled. Once enabled they then have a rpm vs load look up table calling on a map point to use which in turn picks a cam adjustment in the intake/exhaust cam map point settings. What i don't get is the decimal values in the distance tables? Is that a blend? How do we know which mode it's in?

I'll try your settings, but i'm also going to toy with setting all values to 7, then 9 etc in the distance lookup tables and see if sticks to those MP points and try and make some sense of it all. Yours is confusing as it has the distance tables lowered to mostly 5s then it seems to have some weird MP redirecting going on where 5 goes to 9, 0 to 10 etc in the fuel economy map points. The other strange part to me is MP point 5 is disabled in the main Map point settings all together so why would they call for 5 in the distance tables. Anyone have some info on how these things work?

I noticed the y axis for Best Drivability is labeled Desired Load but for Best Fuel Economy it's labeled just Load, why is that?
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks98 View Post
    It'd be nice to get an idea how these distance tables work together. It seems like there is a few modes the ECM can choose from to adjust the VCT and call on certain spark/torque MP tables like Best fuel econ, Best drivability, stability etc. Those modes each have trigger points under the pedal enable stuff when to be enabled. Once enabled they then have a rpm vs load look up table calling on a map point to use which in turn picks a cam adjustment in the intake/exhaust cam map point settings. What i don't get is the decimal values in the distance tables? Is that a blend? How do we know which mode it's in?

I'll try your settings, but i'm also going to toy with setting all values to 7, then 9 etc in the distance lookup tables and see if sticks to those MP points and try and make some sense of it all. Yours is confusing as it has the distance tables lowered to mostly 5s then it seems to have some weird MP redirecting going on where 5 goes to 9, 0 to 10 etc in the fuel economy map points. The other strange part to me is MP point 5 is disabled in the main Map point settings all together so why would they call for 5 in the distance tables. Anyone have some info on how these things work?
    On a "normal" light accel thru the gears, my log shows it start in Optimum stability then switch to Best Fuel Economy and then cascade through the mapped points 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, I'm wondering if in Distance tables if we have a 7 at a certain load thru a big RPM range, that the ECM follows that numerical progression I suppose defined by the Fuel Economy mapped points table, which is BTW 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. And I wonder if the ECM strategy uses the Snap to Line 0-1,1-2,2-3,3-4,5-6,6-7 to guide that progression? Like 7 is the target and the ECM strategy escalates through the defined mapped points nicely to get there?
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else