Thread: Possible to use old phone without data service as GPS logger?

Potential Tuner

Possible to use old phone without data service as GPS logger?

I am looking to possibly use an old android phone as a GPS laptimer on my track bike. Will this app work correctly if it cannot connect to the internet?

Yes, TrackAddict will work without cellular service, and can operate completely offline. You also won't have to worry about phone calls interrupting your video recordings, etc.

The only places that Internet data is currently used is for the satellite background imagery on certain map displays, the Live Telemetry Streaming option, and of course app updates. If desired, all three would still be possible by connecting it to a WiFi hotspot provided by your normal phone, but that's optional.

Last time I was at the track, I used a non-activated Android phone running TrackAddict, and even had Live Telemetry enabled by having it connected to a mobile hotspot on my personal phone. It's pretty convenient to be able to leave a device mounted to the windshield all day without having to give up my primary phone to do it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Yes, TrackAddict will work without cellular service, and can operate completely offline. You also won't have to worry about phone calls interrupting your video recordings, etc.

The only places that Internet data is currently used is for the satellite background imagery on certain map displays, the Live Telemetry Streaming option, and of course app updates. If desired, all three would still be possible by connecting it to a WiFi hotspot provided by your normal phone, but that's optional.

Last time I was at the track, I used a non-activated Android phone running TrackAddict, and even had Live Telemetry enabled by having it connected to a mobile hotspot on my personal phone. It's pretty convenient to be able to leave a device mounted to the windshield all day without having to give up my primary phone to do it.
    awesome thanks!

Tuner
    With no offense to Weston, there are some Android applications that will only record lap times, without any video functions. You could also use a generic GPS recording application, an then import it to RR to get detailed information.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarZ View Post
    With no offense to Weston, there are some Android applications that will only record lap times, without any video functions. You could also use a generic GPS recording application, an then import it to RR to get detailed information.
    I tried the TA app my last track day, which only last 15 min until I crashed, but was really happy with the results using an old Galaxy S4. I did get a QStarz external GPS to use next time, and I noticed the internal GPS was decent at best at picking up speed and location.