Thread: Trans Current Gear Unknown:00...

Advanced Tuner

Trans Current Gear Unknown:00...

Here's something I've never come across before.

Car is a 2014 Challenger R/T, forged motor (still a 5.7), ported heads, mild VVT cam, Procharger D1SC, headers.

At around 5900rpms on the dyno, the trans feels like it pops into neutral. It freely rev up until I get off the throttle.

I logged some transmission parameters, and when it happens, Trans Current Gear goes from whatever gear I am doing the pull in (it happens in both 3rd and 4th) to Unknown:00 44 00 28 28 CE 03 04 00 58 43 68 02 1C 02 1C 0E 76 80 00 82 09 00 03.

Right now the transmission is stock. The trans tune is stock other than a raised rev limiter at WOT.

Here is the log, car is making good power, but I need to get it to pull all the way to 6400 or so.

Challenger Unknown Gear.hpl
    Last edited by doc350; 08-05-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Advanced Tuner
    I set the TCM tune back to 100% stock and it is still doing the same thing. Fluid level is good, and fluid condition is new.

I have done some reading and found some people saying that after you reset the adaptives, you need to drive the car normally for 20 min or so. Has anyone else heard something like this?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by doc350 View Post
    I set the TCM tune back to 100% stock and it is still doing the same thing. Fluid level is good, and fluid condition is new.

I have done some reading and found some people saying that after you reset the adaptives, you need to drive the car normally for 20 min or so. Has anyone else heard something like this?
    That is correct, you need to do a relearn on the trans. There is a procedure for the NAG 1 trans. It requires starting and driving xxx mph and down shift coming to stop then up shifting up to xxx mph type of scenario. Google search should find the recipe you need. I have done this myself. My build is an 09 RT stroker to 392 with vortech blower, cam, bunch of mods. Goes 10:20 at 134 and 1:50 60ft. One thing comes to mind also as I have bricked one of my TCM and a relearn didn't fix it. I used a 07 SRT MTCM for gear hold and other goodies in the MTCM/ but I have bricked them before. That comes from using the Diablo Trinity and not loading and unloading the tune correctly causing it to brick. Good Luck
    FlatTop

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I'll get the car road worthy and give it a go.

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like TCM is bricked, happened twice to me. And post your tune, sounds like it is starting to shift into the next gear and the rpms are flaring. One good test is to move the TCM Limp offset to 1000rpms, engine rev limit to about 6800, and stay in it, see if it flares but then completes the shift. If it completes the shift eventually, you likely have a bricked TCM. I learned the hard way and pulled and replaced the transmission only to have the identical issue, swapped TCMs and issue went away.

I also had two TCMs that just could NOT ever lock the TCC, swapped converters only to find it was the TCM, and nothing in the tuning showed any reason for it to be that way.

Senior Tuner
    Could also just be hitting the TCM Limp offset and putting you in limp mode. As mentioned post the tune and I will take a quick look

Tuner in Training
    Any other news with this? I'm also seeing the same "unknown" message with a MTCM on an 09 SRT8 Challenger... in D car autoshifts to 5th and holds even you go WOT, never downshifts. Not sure if somehow this TCM is bricked... hoping to see what you ended up doing Doc350