Thread: 2014 Ram brake/ABS/Traction Control lights on

Advanced Tuner

2014 Ram brake/ABS/Traction Control lights on

Customer brought in a 2014 Ram 5.7 truck for a 6.4 swap. Swap done. Lights aren't on, but fuel trims out of whack. Runs/drives great, still. Dyno tune it. Fuel trims all within 3%. 354/355 at the wheels and 20+ mpg, but now the ABS, Brake and Traction Control lights are on.

Any ideas what part of the tune I messed up to cause this? Put stock tune back in, and lights are out. Put tune back in, and dash is like a Christmas tree again.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartwig View Post
    Customer brought in a 2014 Ram 5.7 truck for a 6.4 swap. Swap done. Lights aren't on, but fuel trims out of whack. Runs/drives great, still. Dyno tune it. Fuel trims all within 3%. 354/355 at the wheels and 20+ mpg, but now the ABS, Brake and Traction Control lights are on.

Any ideas what part of the tune I messed up to cause this? Put stock tune back in, and lights are out. Put tune back in, and dash is like a Christmas tree again.
    I don't know what it would be off the top of my head, but if you're willing to post your final tune and the stock tune so we can have a look at the differences between the 2, somebody here will likely come up with an answer.

Senior Tuner

Happened on the dyno correct? Are the lights on the instant you restart with the new tune or after a drive cycle on the dyno? Itll go into ABS/ESP disable mode from accelerating quickly on the dyno without the YAW sensors picking up any movement of the vehicle.

Two options, toggle disabling/enabling the traction control system with the VCM Scanner special features, or accelerate very slowly on the dyno from 0-30mph or so shifting into 4th by then, should not do it. Also confirm the new tune doesn't have the displacement still set to 0.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STJUNKY View Post
    I don't know what it would be off the top of my head, but if you're willing to post your final tune and the stock tune so we can have a look at the differences between the 2, somebody here will likely come up with an answer.
    I could if it helps... But I think comparing would be a shot in the dark, like what I'm doing. I bet someone has had this happen to them and knows exactly what caused it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Happened on the dyno correct? Are the lights on the instant you restart with the new tune or after a drive cycle on the dyno? Itll go into ABS/ESP disable mode from accelerating quickly on the dyno without the YAW sensors picking up any movement of the vehicle.

Two options, toggle disabling/enabling the traction control system with the VCM Scanner special features, or accelerate very slowly on the dyno from 0-30mph or so shifting into 4th by then, should not do it. Also confirm the new tune doesn't have the displacement still set to 0.
    On and off the dyno. On the dyno I understand the whys. But out on the highway, driving 200 miles at 75 mph, they are on.

Just sitting in the parking lot. Flash stock tune, lights out; flash dyno tune, lights back on. Don't even need to drive it anywhere...

Senior Tuner
    If you changed the Displacement constant, change one back. There are usually two, Engine Size and Displacement and only Engine Size is used to identify the actual engine size, the other is used to identify a platform configuration and if that one is changed, it will shut off all of those things.
    Jaime

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    If you changed the Displacement constant, change one back. There are usually two, Engine Size and Displacement and only Engine Size is used to identify the actual engine size, the other is used to identify a platform configuration and if that one is changed, it will shut off all of those things.
    I changed all three to 6.4l - engine type, engine size and engine displacement. So keep engine size and change the other two back to 5.7?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    I changed all three to 6.4l - engine type, engine size and engine displacement. So keep engine size and change the other two back to 5.7?
    Keep Engine Size at 6.4. Change Displacement back to stock first and if that fixes it. If not, try them both. I'm not sure what the 3rd one is, but the description at the bottom may give you a clue.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Keep Engine Size at 6.4. Change Displacement back to stock first and if that fixes it. If not, try them both. I'm not sure what the 3rd one is, but the description at the bottom may give you a clue.
    Sounds good. He's going to bring the truck back by around 6, so I can try it. He's been driving the truck all week and just loves the extra power. Thanks for the help!

Advanced Tuner
    Changed displacement back to 5.7 and it's fixed. What I find odd, is that the description says to set it at 0 to disable ESP/TC. Oh well. Customer is gone and happier then ever! The other day it rained here, and he was driving around in 4wd because of it. lol Thanks again!

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2010 ram 1500 with a 6.4 stroker, the tune guy had the same issue with abs, traction and brake light, I told him to change displacement back to 5.7, lights whent off, but when driving rear end is sqwerly traction light came on and stated on, should he change the engine size to 5.7 also