Thread: Help on tunes? Shop replaced my HP tunes with Predator and now I have issues.

Potential Tuner

Help on tunes? Shop replaced my HP tunes with Predator and now I have issues.

I have an HP tuner and after a supercharger install, I took the 2009 SRT8 Challenger to a shop that Vortec recommended, to tune the car. I am a mechanic but am a novice to the tuning, I can make adjustments but I paid the shop to do the actual tune. The mechanic there was apparently unfamiliar with HP and when I got the car back, he had installed a Predator tune on the vehicle. The car seems to have far less power, it won't idle down properly, the VE tables are lower than my original tune. He informed me that I didn't need to change air flow at all, since the throttle body didn't change, yet he changed the VE table; which I believed was related to air flow. Please excuse my ignorance, as I said, I'm a mechanic but this is a entirely new realm for me and I am not familiar enough with the process yet. So please be gentle when you rip me apart, lol I am attaching the stock tune and the tune that he installed. Thank you in advance for your time and help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Can you provide the full details on the motor, what supercharger, and other mods done?

Senior Tuner
    Who had tuned this before you took it to this shop, yourself? You mentioned it now feels slower than before, were you driving it on a stock tune while supercharged?

Potential Tuner
    6.1 Hemi, vortec v3 supercharger kit. SLP exhaust no cats. 8lbs of boost.

Potential Tuner
    I wasn't driving it on a regular basis prior to taking it to the shop. We installed the supercharger, I was running a stock tune and I used to HP tuner to change the map settings, with some minor adjustments, just to be able to drive it to the tune shop. I did have a wide band to make sure it wasn't running lean, just to drive it there. When I compare the two graphs, the new one they installed seems off to me. I am not sure, but if someone could give me an opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I see the graphs on other tunes appear to be much smoother and I wonder if that's why the car seems to have lag, it seems like the power is less and the idling down is just wrong.

Senior Tuner
    The tune the shop did for you isn't bad at all, its very basic, but nothing that I would point out as a reason the car feels sluggish. He raised your idle RPM about 100rpms, which is a good idea with the added drag of the blower.

WHy don't you take a good log, post it, and we can check on how its running. Likely the fueling is a bit off, VE in the non-boost areas should be left stock unless you have a cam or head work done. Headers alone barely need much tweaks, and if anything VE needs to be increased versus yours that is decreased.

Potential Tuner
    I will do that and attach it. Thank you so much and I appreciate your help.

Since the VE has been scaled down so much, you might as well put your stock injector settings back into HP Tuners and tune the VE from there to get it to feel good. The tuner didn't rescale the VE table so not sure how much control of fuel there was at WOT. Do you have a dyno graph?

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Potential Tuner
    I am attaching the log I did this evening. The car feels very sluggish when its cold, far more that it was before. its 90 degrees here and at start, its now super sluggish. Also, the end of the log, the idle issue evident. It did it a few times throughout but its very evident at the end. When you come to a stop, if the car is in motion at all, the rpms will stay up at 2000-2500 until the car comes to a complete stop. Once it stops, it takes a few seconds and then it will idle down. I will have to upload the dyno graph as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Make sure you log ST and LT KR.. cruise control throttle is due to too much air being commanded in the throttle body airflow.

Do you have a WB that you can use? I would definitely start over.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Potential Tuner
    I assume that you're referring to short term/long term knock retard? I am just making sure. I do have a wide band but I didn't have it connected when I did the log. I will do so and repost. Thank you so much. Is it possible to tune this remotely? If so, what is a ballpark price?

If you have access to a dyno it would definitely help.. PM me if ur willing to. If not post back with more info ..

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Instagram

Potential Tuner

Dyno

Dyno
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wonder why they didn't chart lambda? That's more important than those big numbers they gave you.... My opinion is everything looked pretty good in your tune except for the most important two thing VE and injector data. Most likely it wasn't tuned just bunch of copy and paste.

Senior Tuner
    Confused, is that dyno before trying to fix the tune? Not to be mean, that's pretty weak for a 6.1L vortec setup. A P1 at 6-7psi and pretty conservative fueling and timing should be 525whp or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    Confused, is that dyno before trying to fix the tune? Not to be mean, that's pretty weak for a 6.1L vortec setup. A P1 at 6-7psi and pretty conservative fueling and timing should be 525whp or so.
    Not on my dyno. I have had them with built motors and meth get 700rwhp but stock with 6 psi spring generally puts out 425 rwhp.

Potential Tuner
    I am at 8-9 psi boost.

Potential Tuner
    That dyno was at the tuning shop, AFTER the tune. I wasn't 100% comfortable attempting to finish the tune myself after hearing horror stories about busted pistons. When I called Vortech they recommended this shop, so I called, they confirmed they could tune with my HP tuner and I went there. When the car was finished, the tech had installed a predator, used that instead of my HP and this is the end result. He stated that he had tuned another challenger with my setup using this tune, it was copied from a previous tune, according to him. That tune on the other car produced low 500s to the rear wheels, again, according to the tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith3311 View Post
    That dyno was at the tuning shop, AFTER the tune. I wasn't 100% comfortable attempting to finish the tune myself after hearing horror stories about busted pistons. When I called Vortech they recommended this shop, so I called, they confirmed they could tune with my HP tuner and I went there. When the car was finished, the tech had installed a predator, used that instead of my HP and this is the end result. He stated that he had tuned another challenger with my setup using this tune, it was copied from a previous tune, according to him. That tune on the other car produced low 500s to the rear wheels, again, according to the tech.
    I have a tune from a 08 that I tuned with a similar setup I can send you for comparing. The checksum is off because I added tap shift to the tcm though. PM me if you need help.