Thread: Reading a 2006 5.9 ECM

Tuner in Training

Post Reading a 2006 5.9 ECM

Hey,

Just got around trying to read a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 ECU.

Previously Smarty JR tuned, but returned to stock for the purpose of reading the PCM, as we tried to read the Smarty tune, but the HPTuner wrote
    "Reading has been disabled in the tune. Failed to read"

Haven't found any information about this issue, so asking here to see if anyone ran into that before !

It sounds like the device didn't actually return it back to stock. I would try again.

Tuner in Training
    We redid the return to stock procedure, still same error message. Weird!
    We even tried twice
    Last edited by Wolvessoulz; 08-20-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Otherwise, do we have any 2006 5.9 Cummins, manual trans stock pcm tunes?

I didn't see any in the repository.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    It sounds like the device didn't actually return it back to stock. I would try again.
    Smarty has found a way to lock the ecm AFTER being returned to stock.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Les is correct, this also happens when trying to read one out with EFILive. Smarty's return to stock, is not 100% stock. This is where it would be nice if HP Tuners would let us do a VIN Change in the tune file. That way we could download a known clean file to the ECM, instead of using a hacked one out of the ECM if you can even get a read.

Sam

I'll try to come up with a proper return to stock solution for the 06-08 guys with locked tunes soon.

Tuner in Training
    Any way to implement a way to change the VIN in a tune file? That is the way I've been doing it with the other software, It is easier to keep an updated library of known clean stock files.

Tuner in Training
    Keep me posted, really looking forward tuning that dodge

Vin change would be really nice, makes it so much easier when you tune more than one truck. Just change the vin, load, log, make a couple changes and you're done. Saves so much time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    Vin change would be really nice, makes it so much easier when you tune more than one truck. Just change the vin, load, log, make a couple changes and you're done. Saves so much time!
    HP Tuners has made it quite clear since their release that they do not and will not support VIN change..as nice, easy, and problem solving as it might be.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Any updates on the core thread issue? Still can't tune the darned truck haha

Tuner
    If you have a smarty... you can ping the two guys that answer all the questions and work with Engineering. I know they can reflash FULL stock roms which will fix your issue. Dylan or brian should be able to get you to the right people at Smarty. or at least they helped turbomike with his stock rom when it was 100% not working.
    2005 Cummins 325/600 G56 3.73
    Reving to 4800
    Worked Head, Twin Disc, BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Bamofo View Post
    If you have a smarty... you can ping the two guys that answer all the questions and work with Engineering. I know they can reflash FULL stock roms which will fix your issue. Dylan or brian should be able to get you to the right people at Smarty. or at least they helped turbomike with his stock rom when it was 100% not working.
    True story. Smarty was able to send me a "recovery file" for my early 04 to get it back to stock.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner in Training
    Smarty were of no help to us and we ended up selling the unit and the dodge is scheduled to be re-flashed to factory at the dealership next Monday.

Guess we'll see how it plays out then !

Thinking of so, I've got a profile set up of for the channels, just wondering if you guys had any graphs you used / anything in particular?
    2004 GTP Comp-G - 3.3"/3.2 Pulley, XP Cam, LS6 springs, LS7 lifters, #50 injectors, 4" MAF, Catless headers, 180*, AL104's, HAI, Overkilled, 06+ Dual pistons brake, STB's, Lowered on SSC's and FE3.
    3800 Tuner in Quebec, Canada.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolvessoulz View Post
    Smarty were of no help to us and we ended up selling the unit and the dodge is scheduled to be re-flashed to factory at the dealership next Monday.

Guess we'll see how it plays out then !

Thinking of so, I've got a profile set up of for the channels, just wondering if you guys had any graphs you used / anything in particular?
    Do you own a J-2534 tool?

Tuner in Training
    No, I do not have a J-2534 tool, I can only get my hands on some Tech 2 and the like, but no dodge programming equipment on that side
    2004 GTP Comp-G - 3.3"/3.2 Pulley, XP Cam, LS6 springs, LS7 lifters, #50 injectors, 4" MAF, Catless headers, 180*, AL104's, HAI, Overkilled, 06+ Dual pistons brake, STB's, Lowered on SSC's and FE3.
    3800 Tuner in Quebec, Canada.

Tuner in Training
    HPtuners....any update on this return to stock situation? I am in the same boat with my ECM on a previous Smarty tune that was returned to ?stock?.

Banned
    Contact smarty for a recovery flash file or take it in to a dealer to have a stock flash file flashed is the solution.