Thread: Text/Font Resolution for text and text data objects

Potential Tuner

Text/Font Resolution for text and text data objects

Wondering how to improve the resolution for text and text data objects. My video work is in 4k and so having blocky and pixelated text really detracts from the quality of the video overall. Is there a setting I'm missing or some way to improve the resolution quality of the text and text data objects? Using a Mac, RaceRender 3.4.7, video in 4k and output at internet stream 4k Ultra high.

This is an issue that I've been looking at recently too... The rendering of text display objects (ie Text, Text Data, and simple Lap Counters & Timers) was originally setup for 720p, and was passable but not ideal for 1080p. At higher resolutions like 4K, this can be more noticeable. Fortunately, text inside of other displays (Gauges, graphs, etc) should be unaffected, as it is already higher quality within that display.

In any case, expect to see an improvement to text rendering in the next release, version 3.4.8... It will apply when the Picture Scaling Quality is set to "Good" or higher; that will tend to affect your output videos but not the preview (which is usually set to a lower quality for more responsive performance). It should also be slightly better on Mac than on Windows due to the way these platforms render text.

Potential Tuner
    That's great news. I appreciate your work on RaceRender and your responsiveness. As a developer myself I definitely want you to know you're appreciated! Just finalizing my FAA Part 107 certification and then should be purchasing the full version for use with our clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    This is an issue that I've been looking at recently too... The rendering of text display objects (ie Text, Text Data, and simple Lap Counters & Timers) was originally setup for 720p, and was passable but not ideal for 1080p. At higher resolutions like 4K, this can be more noticeable. Fortunately, text inside of other displays (Gauges, graphs, etc) should be unaffected, as it is already higher quality within that display.

In any case, expect to see an improvement to text rendering in the next release, version 3.4.8... It will apply when the Picture Scaling Quality is set to "Good" or higher; that will tend to affect your output videos but not the preview (which is usually set to a lower quality for more responsive performance). It should also be slightly better on Mac than on Windows due to the way these platforms render text.

old thread, but i have to say, font rendering on 3.7.3 in 4k is still terrible. its so pixelated. any particular updates on 4k/5.3k resolutions? its been 6 years.. thanks