Thread: Tach and oil pressure quit working after tune 98 2.2L

Tuner in Training

Tach and oil pressure quit working after tune 98 2.2L

I did a tune on a 1998 Cavalier 2.2L. After the tune, the tach and oil pressure gauge don't work. Has anyone ever had this problem, and if so do you have a solution? Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    HPT simply put can't really be responsible for this problem on such an early make/model vehicle. You should ask the guy who installed your oil pressure guage if it's at least possible he did something to your tach by accident.

Tuner in Training
    We got another ecu from the salvage yard and put it in and the tach and gauge worked fine again. So we tried tuning that one, and again the tach and oil pressure gauge quit working. I have never had this issue before so I am perplexed!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    sounds like your flashing a repository file or an existing file he may have from a vehicle that is not yours. this is a huge no-no as it is the number 1 cause for blown ecu's. and hpt doesnt cover any ecu damage.

back in 07 i accidentally flashed a 2007 SS file into my cousins 05 SS and the fuel gauge started reading in reverse.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-28-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    No I am not doing that. I am reading the ecu, making my changes, and writing right back to the ecu...

Tuner in Training
    I would love to see some pictures of this "98 Cavalier" instrument cluster that is supposed to have an oil pressure guage & tach which I'm pretty sure they never came with back then. It would also be nice if you would include a shot of the actual VIN tag and a copy of the tune you flashed in. Also would be good to know why you didn't attempt to simply write the stock tune back onto the PCM or mention anything about trying this, why you got another PCM from the junkyard and after the same problem, not attempt to write the stock tune file onto that PCM either or again mention anything at all in regards to a honest attempt at actual PCM recovery. Smells like bullshit to me!
    Last edited by PopUpBlocker; 09-02-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Depending on the transmission and "trim" package they only had coolant, fuel gauge, tach and speedo. The oil gauge is just a dummy light that will let you know when your motor is dead.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.