Thread: First Gen 5 - a couple quick questions.

Potential Tuner

First Gen 5 - a couple quick questions.

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a few definitions / interactions. I am new to the Gen 5s and the definitions and tuning methodology are quite a bit different from what I am used to on other platforms. Have been reading and searching through gen 5 posts for a few days and haven't been able to find a conclusive answer:

The main things I would like to confirm are:

1 - Which retard data item is actually being driven by knock? There is "retard degrees" on the log graph and then there is "total knock retard" and "knock retard" on the data list as well.
    2- On the cam position, I have read that the values for variable cam position are in degrees of retard from maximum. So 0 is full advance, 2 is 2 degrees retarded etc. I just want to confirm this is true?
    3 - the logged value for cam is "intake cam angle" is this degrees of retard as well or degrees of advance?
    4 - I have read that the VE tables are still referenced when the vehicle is in MAF mode for various functions. Can you confirm this, and maybe direct me to which are the primary VE maps that need to be dialed in?

Many Thanks!

Yes the VVE is still used even in MAF only mode. VVE is under the EDIT tab because there are no primary VE tables. There should be 4 "tables" to choose from and you'd be making changes to both the open and closed tables. No need to change the DoD ones.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2.0 View Post
    I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a few definitions / interactions. I am new to the Gen 5s and the definitions and tuning methodology are quite a bit different from what I am used to on other platforms. Have been reading and searching through gen 5 posts for a few days and haven't been able to find a conclusive answer:

The main things I would like to confirm are:

1 - Which retard data item is actually being driven by knock? There is "retard degrees" on the log graph and then there is "total knock retard" and "knock retard" on the data list as well.
    2- On the cam position, I have read that the values for variable cam position are in degrees of retard from maximum. So 0 is full advance, 2 is 2 degrees retarded etc. I just want to confirm this is true?
    3 - the logged value for cam is "intake cam angle" is this degrees of retard as well or degrees of advance?
    4 - I have read that the VE tables are still referenced when the vehicle is in MAF mode for various functions. Can you confirm this, and maybe direct me to which are the primary VE maps that need to be dialed in?

Many Thanks!
    Knock retard = retard only from actual knock
    total knock retard = retard from burst knock retard, "actual" knock retard and I think a few other things
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes the VVE is still used even in MAF only mode. VVE is under the EDIT tab because there are no primary VE tables. There should be 4 "tables" to choose from and you'd be making changes to both the open and closed tables. No need to change the DoD ones.
    Got it - thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Knock retard = retard only from actual knock
    total knock retard = retard from burst knock retard, "actual" knock retard and I think a few other things
    Yeah - from watching the logs it sure seems like total knock retard is pulling from numerous sources. Thank you!

Potential Tuner
    Could anyone possibly answer the cam control questions I have?

Also if there are a couple of particularly good threads on the gen 5 control strategies, I would be very grateful if someone could post links, ir tell me a user whose posts I should search for etc. I don't want or need to be spoon fed, but I am finding the sheer amount of threads on the Gen 5s a bit daunting.

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    Not too much info going around for gen5 stuff. I recently just finished one. Its actually not too hard once you grasp it. Maybe search out driver demand tables. That might help you too.

no need to alter driver demand when the rest of the tune is right.

Tuner in Training
    HPTuner should make you pass a quiz on this prior to the software being able to flash!
    Anyone who's even CONSIDERING messing with their Gen5 should read and understand this! Thanks Higgs!

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post