Thread: Pulling SCT4 tunes

Advanced Tuner

Pulling SCT4 tunes

I thought that we were able to do this now.
    I pulled a SCT4 tune, said it needed Debugging so sent the debug.dat file to HP but they came back saying all is fine and nothing more they can do.

Has anyone had any success. Just thinking might be my laptop/software. I did update HP Software 2 weeks ago.

Advanced Tuner
    So when you pulled the tune do you have the .hpt file it created if so might want to post it up & see if we can pick it apart!

Advanced Tuner
    I can't post it up just in case if it does open could identify who it came from and we all know how touchy some workshops can be. I was asked again to solve a driving issue with this vehicle but looks like I cant help for now.
    Thanks for the offer tho. I might PM it to you Grant. I am just going to check it out with someone local first to see if their laptop is any different.
    Last edited by turbotrana; 08-26-2016 at 07:27 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ahh cool sounds good if I can help that'd be great!

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you can read the file, the OSID will be scrambled but it is fixable.

What I recommend is you do a return to stock and read that (make a backup) and make note of what the strategy is, then load your XCAL4 tune back in and do a read with HPT which will most likely say checksum failed.

You can then "simply" replace the OSID header with the one from the stock file which is what I did for my PCM. HPT doesn't currently have a method for doing this through their software however if you email support they may edit the binary for you if you supply both files and relicense it. Otherwise ask around and there are people who can do this for you eg Grant however he will need physical access to your PCM which is a PITA to remove.
    Last edited by rolls; 08-31-2016 at 02:16 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks, will give a go

Tuner in Training
    Just on this, is this what happens when trying to read a currently flashed X4 tune?

50th Anniversary FG.jpg

I tried reading my bro in laws 2010 50th anniversary ute that's been flashed. I can pull the auto tune out, just not the engines. I might follow the steps above and give it a crack.

Does returning back to stock then re-flashing back with the X4 use another "unlock" license on the device?

Advanced Tuner
    If you manually select the read method you can at least read the file. However if you want to edit the tune you are out of luck and need to do a return to stock.

Fairly sure you can do return to stock and load the SCT tune unlimited amount of times.

Advanced Tuner
    ive used hp 2.25 in the past when i've had issues readinng some sct tunes in newer software. also the unknown controller happens a lot on ba pcm, nothing specific to sct tunes.
    if you select black oak 1472k that is the correct one for ba pcm.

Advanced Tuner
    I loaded an X4 tune in my car the other night and tried sucking it out. Could read it but not view any parameters. Check sum failed etc. Is Eric unlocking X4 tunes for people? I like the ability to lock tunes if I want and therefore curious as to how secure they are!?

Advanced Tuner
    I unlocked mine pretty easily, just had to edit the osid and catchcode back to what it is meant to be. I don't think I had a checksum error though. SCT might be doing something else vs exe they did at the start of last year.

Do you know what the osid is meant to be?
    Last edited by rolls; 03-02-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I do, but I can't edit anything / add ID etc. I would have to send the file off for Eric to edit...nothing I can it do.

Advanced Tuner
    There is a high profile tuner workshop in Sydney that uses SCT and will no longer tune with the X3 he will only tune now with the X4 because he believes that HP Tuners cannot view parameters done with the X4 so he secures them from being used by others.
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    There is a high profile tuner workshop in Sydney that uses SCT and will no longer tune with the X3 he will only tune now with the X4 because he believes that HP Tuners cannot view parameters done with the X4 so he secures them from being used by others.
    As Rolls states they are real easy to unlock, identifying the OSID is relatively trivial and the calibration id takes a little more work but nothing special. If you have the catch code on the door then even easier but SCT can change the OS if they don't have it mapped like they did to a mates car by downgrading the OS from HACH4 to HACH3.

I am glad they think they are secure

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylC View Post
    As Rolls states they are real easy to unlock, identifying the OSID is relatively trivial and the calibration id takes a little more work but nothing special. If you have the catch code on the door then even easier but SCT can change the OS if they don't have it mapped like they did to a mates car by downgrading the OS from HACH4 to HACH3.

I am glad they think they are secure
    I guess the approach is there is always someone who can get around a secured situation, however this is usually confined to a relatively small number of individuals with the knowledge and tools, for the majority access is restricted, not optimum but I guess for those concerned better than nothing.

I was able to read my canned tune from an x3 and copy the file

Advanced Tuner
    The X3 can be read with VCM Suite, however, the later X4 cannot be read, noting the exception as pointed out by DarrylC in this thread.

The X3 can be read with VCM Suite, however, the later X4 cannot be read, noting the exception as pointed out by DarrylC in this thread.
    Is this still the case with the later versions of HP?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IXR08 View Post
    Is this still the case with the later versions of HP?
    It could be done in 3 point something at some stage (I tried it) however I suspect they removed it as it caused licensing issues. Eg in my case it meant I couldn't tune with SCT or HPT as the OSID was recognised, let me tune, then when I read it back out the licensing would fail. I think it was too much hassle for them so they took it out.