Thread: Corvette PDR - GPS and Car Data?

Potential Tuner

Corvette PDR - GPS and Car Data?

I may be way late to the game here, but I am curious if there is a way for Race Render to recognize the GPS and other Data that is recorded into the MP4 video file that the Corvette's built in PDR creates?

So far when I tried to open it in the Free version of Race Render it only sees it as a Video file.

Race Render appears to have much more configurability and output options than the Cosworth Toolbox that seems to be the only thing I can find that read the extra data in the MP4 from the PDR.

I also noticed a post with a video from a 360fly camera on a C7 that appears to be getting data from the car for the gauges and G's etc. This was recorded by Weston, so I am wondering what he used for the OBD Data etc on this video.

I'd like to potentially get the 4K 360fly and also make some videos that have multiple embedded PIP views along with GPS and other Data. From what I have seen Race Render seems to have all these abilities, it would be cool to not have to get additional data loggers etc and instead use the built in PDR.

I appreciate any help or direction anyone could give me.

Thanks

I haven't seen a data sample from the PDR system yet (my C7 is a '14; just one year too early), but if you have an easy way to share the raw files from it (ie Dropbox, OneDrive, etc), I'd be interested in taking a look and seeing if it's something we can get RaceRender to work with...

For the 360 videos I've posted, I've been using our TrackAddict app, which is able to provide speed, track map, lap times, and G-forces with just a smartphone. I then usually add an OBD interface to get things like engine RPM, throttle position, etc., as well as an enhanced GPS to get more precise driving line data and more accurate lap times. The compatible hardware for those will differ a bit between iOS and Android, but there are several good options for both. I primarily use an Android phone with an OBDLink MX or LX (LX costs less and works just as well here) and a Qstarz BT-Q818XT. With iPhones, it's usually a GoPoint BT1 or PLX Kiwi 3 for the OBD data, and an XGPS160 from Dual Electronics.

TrackAddict is also now able to automatically control the 360fly cameras over WiFi, and then RaceRender works well with the raw 360fly footage. When used this way, the 360fly's video typically starts within a second of the TrackAddict data/video, so it requires very little synchronization in RaceRender. This 360 video was shot with a 360fly 4K on the roof (controlled by TrackAddict), with TrackAddict capturing the data (including OBD-II) and the interior video, and finally using RaceRender to put it all together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TQ2Mfo5iqg The basic process in RaceRender is to press the "TrackAddict Xfer" button on the New Project Menu, then have TrackAddict share its data (and optionally video) with your computer over WiFi, follow the RaceRender prompts to select the data overlay layout you want, and then add your raw 360fly video file to your project (RR should prompt you to convert to a 360 project, etc).

Potential Tuner

Corevett PDR File

Thank you for the quick response. You all look like you have a great product.

Here is a dropbox link to a video from the Corvette PDR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvedp8mogj...0008_.mp4?dl=0

Let me know any issues with getting the file. It would be great if we got it working. Either way I am likely going to buy Race Render and Track Addict as the other controls of cameras and the other support looks really good.

Thank You

Tuner in Training
    Hello,

is it already possible to use the Corvette PDR in race render

br

Heinz

Advanced Tuner
    I tried importing the video from @TekJedi's dropbox link, but RaceRender does not appear to be able to extract any data from it. I know that RaceRender can extra data from a GoPro video though (assuming it has GPS capabilities).

It looks like you'd have to take a more manual approach of recording the video with a GoPro and recording data with a OBD2 reader with a phone app like TrackAddict. Maybe @Weston has this in an upcoming update though.