Thread: Whipple surging at 3k rpm

Tuner in Training

Whipple surging at 3k rpm

Having a problem with a 2014 chevy 1500 with a 5.3L whipple charger everything else is stock.
    the complaint from the customer is a 20- 30 kpa surge at 3k rpm. I've included the tune and the log.
    If you watch the throttle input (APP) when this happens, its not my foot twitching! its doing it all on its own.
    Its happing above 85kpa, it might fluctuate down to 70 kpa and around 105kpa. We are at 4800ft so anything over
    83 kpa is pressure.

Senior Tuner
    It is fine right to the point you go into CL. When you go closed loop the truck is using the MAF I see. With 4.8 PRC heads and an LSXRT 102mm I increased the base table by 10% and fixed the same issue. From what I read here guys 0 the tables out(I think they do this in SD although), this is just what worked for me before reading about the Predicted Tables here. I think you will have to increase the value if you are using the MAF.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 09-03-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuning Addict
    This needs to be in the gen 5 section, BUT what's most likely causing your problems are your cam tables (0 them out in the lower rpms - look to the lt4 for guidance - can even use those tables if you like) then you need to have real numbers in your peak torque table - these ECM's are torque biased if you don't know that, then finally - go back to stock driver demand tables and smooth them out - only increase the last line if it's closing the throttle any... You might even want to look at a lt4's tune for guidance with this as well - just make sure the axis are the same...

These should hopefully fix where your throttle is opening itself at 50% throttle input...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Moved
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Advanced Tuner
    check all 3 tables (the low.. med and high)....I had a situation where the high was not zeroed and truck surged...and I'm at sea level, go figure ...!!!
    2003 MY Z06 3.3 liter whipple ...sold at around 1000 rwhp
    wip 2015 Silverado w/2.9 Whipple (phase 1 completed) phase 2 in the works

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys sorry for not getting back. I need to get this guys truck back in to the shop and work on the tables mentioned here. And I thought I put this under gen v section. All good info, so much to know!
    Thanks again!
    Wade

been here before. Honestly referring to a lt4 file doesn't help at all, so much different about the file it, it really isn't useable. the only way ive been able to calm the surge is limiting the throttle angle at lower rpms.
    Owner of Cunningham Motorsports

06 z06
    2016 camaro
    68 Camaro
    2014 e63 amg
    07 LBZ Duramax

Tuner in Training
    Well I want to thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I did try to change the cam timing and and I did set the torque tables back to stock. None of this worked to reduce the surge. So I decided to do a holy mary and remove all of the limits on everything to see if that was controlling the throttle. It was! Surge is gone! Now I will start to put the limits back in one at a time to see which one is the cause. I'll post what I find as I can. By the way that tune made 466 rwhp corrected on my mustang dyne. 8 psi and everything else is stock.

Quote Originally Posted by TAETOE View Post
    Well I want to thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I did try to change the cam timing and and I did set the torque tables back to stock. None of this worked to reduce the surge. So I decided to do a holy mary and remove all of the limits on everything to see if that was controlling the throttle. It was! Surge is gone! Now I will start to put the limits back in one at a time to see which one is the cause. I'll post what I find as I can. By the way that tune made 466 rwhp corrected on my mustang dyne. 8 psi and everything else is stock.
    Good to know
    let us know what you will find
    How much timing you finished with it ?

Tuning Addict
    You'll probably find it to be the max torque table which usually just covers up for the driver demand tables unless you honestly had the max torque table too low.

I've seen a lot of surge to do with Driver Demand. Get control of it, you can make a big cammed motor drive like it was a Lexus if you spend enough time tweaking it.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Potential Tuner

Whipple Surge

What did you find was the final cause of your surge??

my bet would be overly aggressive drivers demand. I pulled 20% of my DD in my cruise range and it got rid of the TPS spikes.