Thread: Tips for tuning Camaro V6 2013

Tuner in Training

Question Tips for tuning Camaro V6 2013

Hello world!

I'm really a noob, I have the suite VCM STD for GM and I'm trying improve the performance of my vehicle.
    I have a log scan for 30 minutes, and the VCM read file.
    Please someone could recommend me What can improve on this vehicle.

Thanks to all!

Logs and Read VCM
    http://mitsui.social/camarov62013/camaro-logs.hpl *37 MINUTES*
    http://mitsui.social/camarov62013/camaro-read-vcm.hpt

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jquequezana; 09-07-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    15 Views 0 replies,

Some one can share a tune file please... I'm going to compare that with my stock tune file.

Regards.

Advanced Tuner
    Check the Tune Repository - it's on your customer page at the top - you should find a few Camaro tunes there... Also, you do not seem to be logging Knock Retard (aka Spark Retard in 3.x) - it's very important to log that one.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Check the Tune Repository - it's on your customer page at the top - you should find a few Camaro tunes there... Also, you do not seem to be logging Knock Retard (aka Spark Retard in 3.x) - it's very important to log that one.
    Thanks for your reply.

Have some question about "you do not seem to be logging Knock Retard (aka Spark Retard in 3.x) - it's very important to log that one" ... I was using the VCM Scanner 3.0.99 and I don't know why I cant log nothing in the knock retard...

Sorry I'm very noob

Regards

Potential Tuner
    Check what channels you're logging. If you updated your VCM Scanner from a lesser version sometimes the channels don't appear default as they should. Pulled my hair out for hours before when I updated to the latest version for something as simple as that.

First thing I would suggest since you're completely new is read all the stickies and threads about basic tuning you can.

You'll want to tune your MAF and VVE first. After that there is a few things you can change to make these 3.6 LFXs run a lot better and harder, but I suggest you get comfortable first with HP Tuners in general.

And remember not to get carried away changing all sorts of things at first. Modify one thing at a time and test drive to verify if it was a positive or negative change. Always make sure you have a stock tune saved that does not get altered or anything for back up or if you need to revert back to stock or for reference. Make sure you neatly label all your updated tunes and keep yours logs organized.

~Mike

If it is instant gratification you want.... you might change your PE settings... Engine>Fuel>Power Enrichment>Enrichment Ramp In= Change from 0.0500 to 1.000 (Higher than this is for boosted setup, so for a stock or NA Cold Air intake..1.0 is all you need), PE Delay>Torque %= Change from 100% to 40-50%, PE Delay>RPM=Change from 6,200 to 3,000-3,500, PE Delay>Delay=Change from 10ms(Milliseconds) to 0..... Those few changes will get you into PE faster and give you a little "Boost" in throttle... Out side of that... Learn the basics of tuning and don't make any drastic changes to fueling (MAF/VVE), timing, TQ Management etc... until you get comfortable with the software and the limitations of the vehicle... You could do some serious damage if you make a mistake in some of those parameters.... Also, get yourself a good WB O2.. You can't do a PROPER tune without one... But, just FYI... after looking at your previous post about your knock retard issue... I would fix that before doing ANY tuning.... You were getting as much as 8* of CONSTANT KR... THAT'S a problem....

And if you need some good instruction on tuning.... Contact Ed Mowton at ERM Performance... I learned more from him in 3 hours online than I did after weeks of surfing the web and reading books....

http://www.ermperformancetuning.com/
    Good Luck...

Last edited by Jggregory99; 09-11-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    If it is instant gratification you want.... you might change your PE settings... Engine>Fuel>Power Enrichment>Enrichment Ramp In= Change from 0.0500 to 1.000 (Higher than this is for boosted setup, so for a stock or NA Cold Air intake..1.0 is all you need), PE Delay>Torque %= Change from 100% to 40-50%, PE Delay>RPM=Change from 6,200 to 3,000-3,500, PE Delay>Delay=Change from 10ms(Milliseconds) to 0..... Those few changes will get you into PE faster and give you a little "Boost" in throttle... Out side of that... Learn the basics of tuning and don't make any drastic changes to fueling (MAF/VVE), timing, TQ Management etc... until you get comfortable with the software and the limitations of the vehicle... You could do some serious damage if you make a mistake in some of those parameters.... Also, get yourself a good WB O2.. You can't do a PROPER tune without one... But, just FYI... after looking at your previous post about your knock retard issue... I would fix that before doing ANY tuning.... You were getting as much as 8* of CONSTANT KR... THAT'S a problem....

And if you need some good instruction on tuning.... Contact Ed Mowton at ERM Performance... I learned more from him in 3 hours online than I did after weeks of surfing the web and reading books....

http://www.ermperformancetuning.com/
    Good Luck...

Correction on PE.

PE Enrichment Ramp In is how fast the computer will change to the commanded AFR. This does not matter if it's boosted or not. It should be 1 in general and never more then 1.5 and shouldn't be below .5. Keep it 1 whether you're boosted or not. If it is too high or too low then the computer might over compensate or not compensate enough when PE is active which could result in a overly rich or lean condition.

EQ Ratio under PE will change the commanded AFR ratio. 1.175 in these tables will command an AFR of 12.5 when PE is active IF you're MAF and VVE tables are correctly tuned. This is where you make changes to hit a desired AFR but only if you're MAF and VVE are correctly tuned.

Don't fret over making changes to PE yet. When you tune your MAF and VVE table, you don't want PE active or you'll have your values off for the tune.

I highly recommend focusing on tuning your MAF and VVE first before you even touching PE. Read articles and threads about tuning these how to do it and start in baby steps.

You want your fueling values correct before PE so when PE is commanded the computer correctly targets the right AFR.

If you're new to this, a wideband is a good tuning accessory to have. That way you can confirm your values are correct and the computer is giving the desired fueling.

~Mike

Tuner in Training
    Thanks to all for the replies

I found a tutorial http://gmtune.ru/tuning-fuel-ve-table-using-fuel-trims for VVE Tuning

I'm going to start to follow that tutorial, and I have some question about the Graphs

1.-
    I have a graph called (VE vs Fuel Trims) and I don't know what parameter need select in

Maths
    Fuel Trims
    LTFT + STFT ??
    LTFT + STFT (BANK SEPARATED) ??

2.-
    I have a graph called (VE vs STFT) and I don't know what parameter need select in

Generic Sensors
    Engine
    Fuel
    Closed Loop Fuel Learning
    Short Term Fuel Trim ??
    Short Term Fuel Trim BANK 1 ??
    Short Term Fuel Trim BANK 2 ??

3.-
    Since I have a lot of KR I write the PCM with the stock tune and I have the same KR, that's maybe is a mechanical problem?

Regards

*Note :
    I don't have a wideband but will try to do what we can with an standard suite .
    Last edited by jquequezana; 09-13-2016 at 01:28 AM.

A bit of mis-information here...unplug MAF, IAT goes away if you do this!!! Set Speed density by setting MAF High freq fail to 1 and P0101-0103 to Mil first error......Don't want PE active because it throws of your values.....error is based on actual vs commanded, why would it throw off your values?....maybe blowup your motor if disabled. Leave it enabled and setup Graphs based on LT+ST error and wideband Error as well as filters to provide only the correct error data....a wideband is a good accessory to have...its an absolute must...can't tune open loop/PE without it...that tutorial is based on Gen III setups. basics are there and well written...there are some differences though...

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Hello, thank you very much for your answers; They helped me a lot and achieve optimize the MAF and the VVE. LTFT betwen -5/5, I wonder if also have to optimize my LNF and how could start with this?