Thread: Edit fan control with SCT tune

Potential Tuner

Edit fan control with SCT tune

Hi guys, i have an XD ute with an FG turbo motor, it has been tuned using SCT. I have an issue with the fans staying on constantly & want to use HP software to try to sort it. If i was to use HP tuners, can i download the current tune off the ECU, edit the fan controls & load it back on without it causing any issues with the fuelling etc?

Advanced Tuner
    the fans come on because there is no speed sensor. i've had a fiddle before to see if the fan settings can stop it but i had no luck. im not sure what is happening in the tune/pcm when it checks for vss and fails. a few things are affected by no vss so i figured it is a separate strategy similar to a limp mode but not as restricted and not affecting as many tables etc.

Potential Tuner
    Even at idle? They come on as soon as its started. We have sorted everything else in the tune without a speed signal, making good power, getting full throttle, just the fans that are annoying me.

Advanced Tuner
    yep, bf do the same, ba don't

Potential Tuner
    Oh well, next one I do will run a haltech haha.

Advanced Tuner
    just go a bf pcm, you can hook up a speed sensor much easier to that. you can run an abs module for the fg pcm but obviously bit of hassle.
    i ask questions like this all the time and its really hard to get much info on quirky shit for conversions. hopefully with a few more people asking that kind of thing on here people will start to share info a bit more freely.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by misk View Post
    just go a bf pcm, you can hook up a speed sensor much easier to that. you can run an abs module for the fg pcm but obviously bit of hassle.
    i ask questions like this all the time and its really hard to get much info on quirky shit for conversions. hopefully with a few more people asking that kind of thing on here people will start to share info a bit more freely.
    Will a BF computer work with FG coils, throttle body, pedal etc? At the end of the day, the fans are annoying but definitely not the end of the world.

Advanced Tuner
    what OS/strategy is it & what options does sct have for vss options & fan control?

Potential Tuner
    honestly not sure, i had it tuned at a shop in Brisbane. I wanted to try to get the SCT software as i have an X4 tuner, but that is like pulling teeth. I see in the HP software you can set speeds for the fans, i thought maybe putting them all at zero would help.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah but if it's not seeing that zero it could be an issue, thats why depending on what's mapped out in the strategy you could change the vss source to register something?

Potential Tuner
    we tried changing the VSS from ABS to traction control & also tailshaft, but none of them made a difference. We got around all the other issues lack of VSS creates on FG ecu's, i guess the fans are the last stumbling block. tossing up whether ibite the bullet & buy the software to try it.

Advanced Tuner
    you might want to wait to see if anyone else chimes in with a fix, if you change the topic to fan control without VSS source it may help?

Potential Tuner
    You can always use temp sensor switch instead of using the pcm if you wanted a quick way around it, i put au motor in a ed and used a temp switch for the thermo's as i didn't add extra wires from the el ecu i was running

Advanced Tuner
    No, bf pcm wont work with fg pedal, but yes it will with fg coils and fg dwell settings and will work with fg manif9ld and tb.
    The oss listed in the fg tunes doest work, pin b7 doesnt work as the vss in like on ba bf, you would need to hook up an abs module to use either tcs or abs as the speed source and the 44 and 45 are for fz6 oss and 5spd auto oss.

Did you have issues with the car going in to limp mode or limiting throttle at any point with no vss?
    Which issues did you run in to and fix?
    I wouldnt go buying sct stuff until youve vheked with people that know sct well. What did you think sct might be able to access vs hp?

Advanced Tuner
    If you don't have a speed sensor attached can't you just set the Enable VSS to a massive negative number? I imagine when the sensor is unplugged it will read something like -25% of full scale range depending on the sensor.

I've not tried this but it is absolutely worth a shot.

If they specifically detect a failure and set certain things on/off then this will not work. Is the VSS sensor a pulse counter or an analog sensor? If it is the latter could you just pull it high/low use a voltage divider to get it at the speed you want?
    Last edited by rolls; 09-09-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    for fg you can only use an abs module or the 5spd and 6spd autos to get a speed signal, there is no vss in on pin b7 for fg like ba bf.
    the fan enable speed can only go as low as 0 staying within the normal parameters. last time i was messing around with this issue was before they allowed us to make changes outside those values. just no idea how you would try and log a speed the pcm thinks its seeing in VSS fail mode, which affects a fair amount of shit in the pcm, so i would assume its just running in a separate operating strategy where it sets a number of things to be 'safe' when in vss fail mode but not severe enough to be a full LHM.
    if you run a standard tune in ba-fg with no valid VSS in they run for 10-15-20min depending on type of driving done and then go in to LHM and limit the throttle to 3500rpm but ive been trying to narrow down what is happening in the tune when it does this for a while with no luck and ive posted on here, so who knows.
    but the fans and other stuff for fg turbo go into that limited/safe mode after startup.

would be awesome to get somewhere with this kind of stuff.