Thread: 03-early 04 data logging

Potential Tuner

03-early 04 data logging

Would anyone like to share what they are data logging on the early models ? I've got the early 04 and it has a pop I'd like to track down. Doesn't seem to be fuel related although I'd like to be able to check balance rates if possible. I've read that's not supported on the early ones, wanted to see if there was another way besides temp gun. The tuner has said the early computers can not adjust timing quick enough and that's where the pop comes in. I'd like to be able to verify all this because I just don't think that's the problem. So whatever I can log for timing as well, I just have main injector timing now.
    Thanks

the pop mostly comes from the pilot timing adder tables. It can be tuned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdracing57 View Post
    Would anyone like to share what they are data logging on the early models ? I've got the early 04 and it has a pop I'd like to track down. Doesn't seem to be fuel related although I'd like to be able to check balance rates if possible. I've read that's not supported on the early ones, wanted to see if there was another way besides temp gun. The tuner has said the early computers can not adjust timing quick enough and that's where the pop comes in. I'd like to be able to verify all this because I just don't think that's the problem. So whatever I can log for timing as well, I just have main injector timing now.
    Thanks
    What makes it pop? If it pops on a snap rev, your tuner is probably right. There is a limit to the acceptable rate of change of rpm on these computers, earlier trucks are more sensitive than later ones. I can set my truck at 10 degrees flat and it will still pop if it snaps loose in the rain. Unless HP finds that value, there's nothing you can do about it. Unless you have something else going on.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Potential Tuner
    That's probably what it is then. Only on the quick revs and mainly downshifts that really jump the rpm's. It's a auto but it's not built and only a single disc converter so there is a little slop on the downshifts sometimes. Truck has 100hp injectors, good cp3, 188/220, 63/74/14, big inter cooler etc. The only other reason I'm concerned it could be something else is the mileage seems off from the stock motor with just a predator. It's only getting around 15mpg when I would see 20's with the previous set up. What type of mileage are others seeing with the 03-04 ? This is a new motor with all new parts on it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mdracing57; 09-13-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdracing57 View Post
    That's probably what it is then. Only on the quick revs and mainly downshifts that really jump the rpm's. It's a auto but it's not built and only a single disc converter so there is a little slop on the downshifts sometimes. Truck has 100hp injectors, good cp3, 188/220, 63/74/14, big inter cooler etc. The only other reason I'm concerned it could be something else is the mileage seems off from the stock motor with just a predator. It's only getting around 15mpg when I would see 20's with the previous set up. What type of mileage are others seeing with the 03-04 ? This is a new motor with all new parts on it.

Thanks
    I see mid 20s, but stock cam and injectors...
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Curtis Silvia, Tenacity Tuning.hpt

I've done an 03 and early 04 and was able to get rid of the pop. It's in the pilot tables, attatched is an 03 6-speed with 60hp injectors and a box 66. No pop.. enjoy ladies. It's not a perfect tune by any means, but it runs hard, little smokey but working on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    Curtis Silvia, Tenacity Tuning.hpt

I've done an 03 and early 04 and was able to get rid of the pop. It's in the pilot tables, attatched is an 03 6-speed with 60hp injectors and a box 66. No pop.. enjoy ladies. It's not a perfect tune by any means, but it runs hard, little smokey but working on that.
    I do not run pilot or post injection on my early 04 and it still pops :-)

If you run more positive timing at peak torque it will smoke less. I like your scheme of limiting IPW with rail pressure at lower RPM.
    Last edited by Turbo_Mike; 09-14-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Chris Jewett Tenacity Tuning.hpt

The tune is actually the revised tune that I'm going to flash in tomorrow and will hopefully have less smoke. This truck does not pop at all and neither does the early 04 that I tune. That file is attatched for the early 04. I found that the adder tables for the pilot are wild. When I tried to modify them alot I'd get no start situations, so I pretty much just went in and took out the +50's and stuff like that and it's been pretty good sense then. I have tuned a lot of trucks with efi-live and never had any issues. I really don't like HPtuners all that much as far as the program is concerned but am glad that it's available for the early trucks.