Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyno Hire in Sydney

Tuner in Training

Dyno Hire in Sydney

Hey guys

I am considering buying a dyno and renting a small industrial unit in the Campbelltown area that people can come and hire for anyone that does self tuning, power runs or wants to check their tunes/cars parameters

I have priced both and am more than willing to give it a go but my question is would their be enough interest to justify actually giving it a go.

Please share your thoughts guys

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FPV523 View Post
    Hey guys

I am considering buying a dyno and renting a small industrial unit in the Campbelltown area that people can come and hire for anyone that does self tuning, power runs or wants to check their tunes/cars parameters

I have priced both and am more than willing to give it a go but my question is would their be enough interest to justify actually giving it a go.

Please share your thoughts guys
    INTERESTING..... SOME ROUGH NUMBERS (as a stand alone business)
    Capital outlay guestimate 150k (dyno and sound room) capital return @ 20% $30k PA
    Rent $20k PA
    Man the premises $50k PA
    Advertising costs? plus insurances? plus office setting up and running costs etc
    $100k pa $2000 per week to break even
    $150 for 2 hour rental
    2.6 cars a day average to break even (before tax).....I doubt you would achieve this as an average ????????????
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    INTERESTING..... SOME ROUGH NUMBERS (as a stand alone business)
    Capital outlay guestimate 150k (dyno and sound room) capital return @ 20% $30k PA
    Rent $20k PA
    Man the premises $50k PA
    Advertising costs? plus insurances? plus office setting up and running costs etc
    $100k pa $2000 per week to break even
    $150 for 2 hour rental
    2.6 cars a day average to break even (before tax).....I doubt you would achieve this as an average ????????????
    Lol nah mate not as stand alone business. More of an afternoon/weekend thing unless it really took off but I doubt it would gain that much traction. At this stage I'm just gathering info but as for insurances ect I will get a document made up stating use is at own risk and I will not be responsible for any damages or injuries ect

As for pricing the Dyno :

" Hi

Our 2WD600L Series base package is $ 36,750.00 + Gst and our 2WD600P Premium model base package is $ 48,000.00 + Gst.

There are numerous differences between the two levels / models but they both have the same power rating of 1200hp.

If you let me know which model is in your budget range I can provide more detailed information on either model.

As you are local, you just give us a call to discuss.

Regards,

Craig "

I will ring up tomorrow and find out exactly what a package includes.

The next issue will be venue in regards to noise ect but should be able to decently sound proof the location to make the noise within reason.

I was hoping to do $100 an hour to remain reasonable and drum up a bit of
    Interest

By no means will it be state of the art but I would get all the necessities in order for it to be effective
    Last edited by FPV523; 09-15-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    You can put disclaimers in place but I doubt they will stand up in court under consumer law if you were ever to find yourself in that position.
    All the best with it if you decide to go ahead with it.

Tuner in Training
    You can put disclaimers in place but I doubt they will stand up in court under consumer law if you were ever to find yourself in that position.
    All the best with it if you decide to go ahead with it.
    As I said just trying to work out if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Question is would you use it? d^_^b

Tuner in Training
    Something that comes to my mind is that this would not be a cost effective arrangement for the consumer to tune our Fords or any other vehicle can't be live tuned. Even a live tunable vehicle needs extensive data to make a "perfect" or sometimes even "decent" tune.

As someone who has spent countless hours road tuning live and flash setups, I can safely say that the average person does not have the data available to make a decent tune without having spent 40ish hours or so, logging and analyzing every part of the tune and making adjustments then logging and analyzing those too, etc, etc.

Obviously this would translate to far too much outlay vs results for the consumer, even if a lot less time was spent on the dyno due to previous data collection which leads to my next comment.

A much better tune can be obtained from a proven workshop that already has the data from countless combos and can apply it to any given setup and likely do a better job as they have tuned hundreds of cars already vs the average bloke never having tuned with a dyno before.

Yortt mentioned $150 for a 2 hours, which as someone who can tune his own car, I feel would be better spent on petrol as there is a lot of time, as I mentioned, gathering the necessary data.

I can see how power runs or wot tuning could be financially feasible for the consumer and for you if the interest is there, however this also available presently at most tuner shops and as such the market is saturated. For the 99% of the rest of the tune, most if not all home tuners can do it all on the road with a mate for free. With Fords it is just as easy IMHO to tune alone.

If it's just for love and not money then I'd say go for it. I personally feel owning a dyno shop is an all or nothing affair. Like any business, without regular work it will not turn a profit and likely will cost you thousands.

These are just my thoughts and are meant in a positive and constructive manner.

JETURBO would be the dude to comment further on this as he started out similar to this.

Tuner
    FPV I'm in the area and have been tuning on the side for a few years now, I mainly offer street tunes but hire dynos when I need, I have a few in the area that I can use at different prices, one is $200 on matter how long I take (I've been on it from 1-6hrs) another is $100/hr for Dyno hire and I operate myself, the other is $150/hr with the shop owner operating the Dyno, all of which I have a good relationship with and it just depends on the car and time frame I'm looking at.. The majority of the tune is completed on the street and just touched up on the Dyno, I only really use a Dyno a few times a month but will definitely be interested if you were to set something up.. A workshop with a hoist and basic tools would definitely help aswell as I work from home in the driveway.. I have a business name, Facebook page but work of mouth keeps me busy, I have accounts at most performance parts suppliers (mainly focussed around the Falcons and Commodores) and I only take on jobs I want to do, if I have time.. If you want more info or to have a chat PM me and we'll talk

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy_t View Post
    FPV I'm in the area and have been tuning on the side for a few years now, I mainly offer street tunes but hire dynos when I need, I have a few in the area that I can use at different prices, one is $200 on matter how long I take (I've been on it from 1-6hrs) another is $100/hr for Dyno hire and I operate myself, the other is $150/hr with the shop owner operating the Dyno, all of which I have a good relationship with and it just depends on the car and time frame I'm looking at.. The majority of the tune is completed on the street and just touched up on the Dyno, I only really use a Dyno a few times a month but will definitely be interested if you were to set something up.. A workshop with a hoist and basic tools would definitely help aswell as I work from home in the driveway.. I have a business name, Facebook page but work of mouth keeps me busy, I have accounts at most performance parts suppliers (mainly focussed around the Falcons and Commodores) and I only take on jobs I want to do, if I have time.. If you want more info or to have a chat PM me and we'll talk
    Hey mate

Can you pm me your number

Cheers

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=Puffwagon;452152]As someone who has spent countless hours road tuning live and flash setups, I can safely say that the average person does not have the data available to make a decent tune without having spent 40ish hours or so, logging and analyzing every part of the tune and making adjustments then logging and analyzing those too, etc, etc.

Interesting! does this mean you can achieve a better tune data logging live on the road than on a dyno?
    Last edited by Yortt; 09-16-2016 at 12:54 AM.

Tuner
    Depends how the Dyno is loaded up, but I have spent many more hours tuning on the road and or track then on a Dyno and always will.. I log and tune on the street 90% Dyno 5% 1/4mile 5% you'll never replicate all driving conditions on a Dyno and its oftern very hard to replicate a track condition ie tyres (height, width, construction, compound) weight of the car/person, incline, decline, surge

But each have their purpose, like learning the effects of timing and fuel on the dyno

and I don't have many points left to accumulate on my license haha

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=Yortt;452166]
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffwagon View Post
    As someone who has spent countless hours road tuning live and flash setups, I can safely say that the average person does not have the data available to make a decent tune without having spent 40ish hours or so, logging and analyzing every part of the tune and making adjustments then logging and analyzing those too, etc, etc.

Interesting! does this mean you can achieve a better tune data logging live on the road than on a dyno?
    According to some no, but I think I'm pretty close to spot on and doubt I could get more gains from dyno tuning. I'd pay for a power run but certainly not for tuning unless I was too lazy to relearn a new ecu/car etc.

It's not quick or easy by any means when you start with stock or blank maps and an engine/ecu that you may not be familiar with. This is why I recommended using a professional if paying for dyno time was considered.

In my comment I meant that regardless of dyno or road tuning it will be an uphill battle for the inexperienced to get a car tuned without any previous data and paying $100 p/h for it on a dyno does not make sense to me when it can be had free on the road.

I agree with everything Peppy_t said. I get vastly different suitable timing and boost results when I have a full tank of fuel, the family in and tow my trailer with a tonne of wood versus driving it with just me in the car. As such I know how to drive my car with hurting it, ie: never go wot with the trailer on. Plus I like my tailshaft attached.

If I was tuning for someone else I would have it turned down in the boost and timing maps so no matter what it couldn't detonate.

Dyno tuning certainly is a safer and more legal way of tuning.
    Last edited by Puffwagon; 09-16-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Just to clarify to people i would not be offering dyno tuning. More or less facilities ect

I will still be working full time and would have to book in a time which suited both me and the other party or am willing to do as many hours as possible on weekends in regards to the law with noise and all the other stuff of that nature

The dyno i am looking it at purchasing is a Mainline 2WD600

Maximum Rated Power @ 240kph: 850kW (1130hp)
    Maximum Rated Torque: 1700Nm (1254Ftlb)
    Maximum Weight: 2.2 Tonne
    Maximum Test Speed: 250Kph
    Roller Diameter: 217mm
    Knurled Drive Rollers: Standard
    Dynamic Roller/Retarder Balance: Standard
    Track Minimum: 600mm (400mm Option)
    Track Maximum: 2200mm (2400mm Option)
    Wide Track Roller Options: 400-2200mm/600?2400mm Optional
    Speed Sensor: Digital Pulse
    Force Sensor: Precision Bi-directional S Beam Load Cell
    Vehicle Tie Down Points: 12
    Electrical Requirement: 3 Phase, 32 AMP/Phase, 5 Pin Clipsal 56C532
    Dynamometer Control Module: 2WD ? RWD/FWD Control System
    Printer: Colour Inkjet
    Monitor Display: 22 LCD Monitor - Twin 22 LCDs Optional
    Hand Control Unit: Mini Wireless Trackball Keyboard
    Computer Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
    Dynamometer Operating System: Mainline/DynoLog 2WD Software Control System
    Deluxe Workshop Cabinet with Wheels, Twin Boom Arms & Crash Bar, & Computer/Printer storage: Standard

This kit also includes Computer, monitiors, cabinet, AFR and 2 boost sensors

Additional is the ramps and fan

Tuner in Training
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dunno, could be.

Do you own an orange farm or a juice factory?

Tuner in Training
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dunno, could be.

Do you own an orange farm or a juice factory?
    3 xD

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=Puffwagon;452170]

According to some no, but I think I'm pretty close to spot on and doubt I could get more gains from dyno tuning. I'd pay for a power run but certainly not for tuning unless I was too lazy to relearn a new ecu/car etc.

It's not quick or easy by any means when you start with stock or blank maps and an engine/ecu that you may not be familiar with. This is why I recommended using a professional if paying for dyno time was considered.

In my comment I meant that regardless of dyno or road tuning it will be an uphill battle for the inexperienced to get a car tuned without any previous data and paying $100 p/h for it on a dyno does not make sense to me when it can be had free on the road.

I agree with everything Peppy_t said. I get vastly different suitable timing and boost results when I have a full tank of fuel, the family in and tow my trailer with a tonne of wood versus driving it with just me in the car. As such I know how to drive my car with hurting it, ie: never go wot with the trailer on. Plus I like my tailshaft attached.

If I was tuning for someone else I would have it turned down in the boost and timing maps so no matter what it couldn't detonate.

Dyno tuning certainly is a safer and more legal way of tuning.
    Given both you and Peppy_t have direct comparisons from road to the dyno do either of you see a difference in fuel and boost delivery, also timing delivery in reference to the knock threashold when tuned on the road then checked on the dyno or alternatively tuned on the dyno and checked on the road?

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=Yortt;452305]

Given both you and Peppy_t have direct comparisons from road to the dyno do either of you see a difference in fuel and boost delivery, also timing delivery in reference to the knock threashold when tuned on the road then checked on the dyno or alternatively tuned on the dyno and checked on the road?
    My Ford hasn't been on the dyno.

Fuel delivery is tune dependant and will do what it is tuned to do. Boost delivery is load dependant and this is where road tuning and dyno tuning differ. A motor is less likely to knock if it accelerates through the map quicker rather than slower, if it is tuned right at the knock threshold, due to the heat produced.

I have yet to heat soak my intercooler on the road despite many consecutive stop start wot runs so I haven't corrected the tune for this but this but it could become an issue with repeated runs on the dyno due to airflow restrictions.

IMHO in an ideal environment 90% of the tune would be done on a dyno and the remaining 10 percent, which would mostly be temp corrections and some wot tuning, would be touched up on the road. I don't own a dyno so I make do with road tuning.
    Last edited by Puffwagon; 09-17-2016 at 02:55 AM. Reason: a word

Tuner
    Yes definitely Yortt, it is especially noticeable with the Commodores as fuel delivery is based on map vs rpm, and timing rpm vs Airmass (load). But then again it depends on the car, tyres, environment etc.. As said earlier most of the cars I do are solely on the street, if someone wants a figure or sometimes just to make it safer for me when tuning a car with 600rwhp+ I'll clean up the Wot on the Dyno, but will always log and make changes once back on the street or track, 9/10 times the values targeted from the street or track were ideal.. my car will always see a lower boost at the track then on the street or dyno (depending how it's loaded up).. Fueling tends to stay commanded when loaded up and is generally fatter with less load (wheel spin)

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy_t View Post
    safer for me when tuning a car with 600rwhp+ "and" 9/10 times the values targeted from the street or track were ideal.
    This^^

It seems this thread is just window shopping anyway.

Advanced Tuner
    This^^

It seems this thread is just window shopping anyway.
    "just window shopping "??????

Tuner in Training
    "just window shopping "??????
    I don't think the op thought it through further than "Hey that would be a cool thing to do".

Brb setting up a business at great expense then keeping it closed all week as I have to work full time.

No insurance? Not the way it works I'm afraid.

Window shopping at it's finest.

Op drives a vn exec with a chevy badge and the only juice they have is their fruit box