Thread: short timed video overlays not disappearing in rendered video

Tuner in Training

short timed video overlays not disappearing in rendered video

Hi

I've made a track video in RR3 Ultimate with a number of overlays. Besides the main video in the background a second one in the top right corner.

now for certain places i have a third video which I overlay for a minute or so in the top left corner.

in the preview window of RR3 it appears and disappears correctly when I move the timeslider at the bottom. Also the timeline shows correct start and end times for the small video overlays.

however when I use the "play" function in preview or when creating the video the top left overlay stays, even after the movie file ended.

I attached screenshots from the timeline, after playing through the overlay (until min. 2:00.40) and when using the slider to the same time (2:00.40). See red ovals.. rendered video shows the same effect, overlay stays immobile after it ended..

What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    any comments??

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like a bug. In some cases you have to play with the order of the objects in the Display Objects window. Make sure the large video is atop everything else. That should "cover" the other objects when they are inactive.

Tuner in Training
    it also covers the object when it's active then... i need to put the large one below the other objects... otherwise I can't see any of the objects, including the gauges..

I also think it's a bug... I could work around by specifing time-periods and make the object inactive after the movie's finished... but that's not really nice...

When a video completes playing, it will typically hold the last successfully decoded frame, however that may get reset when you seek, which would explain what's happening here.

The behavior of it holding the last frame was intentional and has been necessary for certain functionality, however a recent unrelated development could help us accommodate those situations, so I think I can add another option for this here.

I'm expecting that in the next RaceRender update (version 3.4.9 or 3.5), the display object properties box will have an Inactive/Active/Auto selection in place of the current "Active" checkbox, where the "Auto" setting will make it disappear when the input has reached its end.

How that setting will work for joined inputs with Time Fillers in the middle, I don't know yet, but it should be pretty straightforward for simple regular video and data inputs.

In the meantime:

As you've found, a quick fix for the way you've set this up is to seek the preview to the time at which you want one of these to disappear, open that display object's properties box, click the "Add" button at the top right to create a new timeline segment on it, accept the project time that's already set there, and finally un-check the "Active" checkbox. That will make this display object become inactive and disappear at that project time. This is what will be automatically accomplished by using the new "Auto" setting.

Another approach entirely would be to have just one video display object for all of these clips, and then use its timeline segment capability to switch between them at designated times:

(this is the typical way to accomplish camera switching, but can be more complex when you only have short clips, rather than multiple concurrent input feeds)

1) Seek the main preview to the start of the project, or the start of the first clip

2) Open the display objects properties box, and set it's "Input" selection to the desired video input for the current time

3) Seek the main preview to the time at which you want it to end

4) In the display objects properties box, click "Add" to create a new timeline segment, accept the project time that's already set, and then un-check the "Active" checkbox. The display should now disappear.

5) Seek the main preview to the time at which you want the next clip to appear

6) In the display objects properties box, click "Add" to create a new timeline segment, accept the project time that's already set, then return to Step 2 to set its Input and end time.

Tuner in Training
    ok, thanks... this means I can define multiple video-input-segments for the same overlay i.e. one per time segment?

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy View Post
    ok, thanks... this means I can define multiple video-input-segments for the same overlay i.e. one per time segment?
    Yes, just create a new timeline segment on the display object whenever you want it to switch, and then go change the "Input" selection at that time.

Tuner in Training
    ok, thx.