Thread: Too much airflow at idle and cruising when in gear

Senior Tuner

Too much airflow at idle and cruising when in gear

So I switched over to sensed map enabled, and been trying to get this thing to calm down. First off I needed to lower the minimum desired airflows way down, basically to stock levels, for it to idle down while in park/neutral.

As soon as I put it in gear, its basically driving itself, I have to hold it with the brakes. Same thing while cruising, has a touch of cruise control feeling. I have tried (1) adding airflow to the throttle body airflow table about 10-15%, (2) decreased both the large and small desired airflow tables about 20%, still doing the same thing, only a touch worse which makes no sense. Thing is its idling better than it ever has in park/neutral, and none of the aforementioned changes seem to be effecting this idle area.

Am I supposed to lower my commanded torque at idle? I can seein the log the torque in gear at a stop is 80-90ft/lbs and it only is commanding 33. Or do you guys adjust the airflow/torque factor table? I have mine LOWER than stock, which means more airflow than stock which usually bigger cammed cars need.

Did I just not raise my throttle body airflow enough to see a difference and I should keep going? It is still less by a good bit than what I am actually logging for total airflow.

Advanced Tuner
    "Did I just not raise my throttle body airflow enough to see a difference and I should keep going?"

Going from 80mm to 90mm TB usually needs 5-10% added to TB flow tables, so 148mmTB will need a lot more than that.

If the main part of the pedal feels ok, sometimes just add whole numbers to the entire table rather than a percentage.
    That way the lower numbers get a larger change than the bigger ones.
    Depends how it feels and where you need to calm it down.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 09-19-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks it feels completely normal under throttle only when I let off and when I'm at a stop in gear

Senior Tuner
    FYI - the throttle body airflow table did absolutely nothing, all it did do was result in the Total Airflow PID in the log to increase or decrease and basically just display whatever I put in the table. Its clear total airflow is a calculated number, not actual airflow, and it simply shows whatever I input to the throttle body airflow table. I stressed it to an extreme putting in values of 50 g/sec in the idle voltages and got exactly those values in the log at the same voltages I once logged 8g/sec.

What did eventually work was INCREASING the airflow in the row axis of the large and small desired airflow tables. Makes zero sense, clearly these tables are entirely mis labeled and don't function at all as they are described. To me, these two tables are the ACTUAL throttle body airflow tables, not commanded airflow tables. When I increased the airflow value at 0.20 volts, next log it immediately closed the throttle body more at idle in gear and got rid of almost all the cruise control feeling.

I've always controlled that cruise control effect via the throttle body airflow and also helped adding airflow on bigger cams that need more airflow. Not too sure why it's not working out with you. I know you've played with your large/small desired airflow, but try setting those back to stock and dialing in your throttle airflow. It is a limiter for throttle opening vs volts, reduce it too much and you'll feel like you have a dead pedal in areas.

It has to be fine tuned to get it to where you want it.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    I've always controlled that cruise control effect via the throttle body airflow and also helped adding airflow on bigger cams that need more airflow. Not too sure why it's not working out with you. I know you've played with your large/small desired airflow, but try setting those back to stock and dialing in your throttle airflow. It is a limiter for throttle opening vs volts, reduce it too much and you'll feel like you have a dead pedal in areas.

It has to be fine tuned to get it to where you want it.
    Ever tried it on a vehicle with sensed map enabled?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    FYI - the throttle body airflow table did absolutely nothing, all it did do was result in the Total Airflow PID in the log to increase or decrease and basically just display whatever I put in the table. Its clear total airflow is a calculated number, not actual airflow, and it simply shows whatever I input to the throttle body airflow table. I stressed it to an extreme putting in values of 50 g/sec in the idle voltages and got exactly those values in the log at the same voltages I once logged 8g/sec.

What did eventually work was INCREASING the airflow in the row axis of the large and small desired airflow tables. Makes zero sense, clearly these tables are entirely mis labeled and don't function at all as they are described. To me, these two tables are the ACTUAL throttle body airflow tables, not commanded airflow tables. When I increased the airflow value at 0.20 volts, next log it immediately closed the throttle body more at idle in gear and got rid of almost all the cruise control feeling.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer to increase all 3 airflow tables.
    I always make these tables exactly the same as each other as every stock file I have ever seen is like this.
    Probably throws off the airflow calcs if they are different, so have always made them match.
    Total airflow is just a calculation not actual.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 09-19-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks a lot, does the diablo log ACTUAL airflow? I have always logged sonic airflow, is this actual airflow?