Thread: Transmission Tuning Questions

Transmission Tuning Questions

Generic title I know... I am not exactly a noob when it comes to tuning, however this is the first vehicle that I will be tuning myself. I ordered HPTuners and it will be here in few days. In the mean time I have downloaded the software and looked at various tunes in the repository and I have specific questions around tuning the transmission.

I have read through the stickied post at the top a few times. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356667

I have an 05 A4. Mods:
    Ported TB
    Ported stock intake manifold
    Axle back exhaust
    Aftermarket plate and fin transmission cooler (mounted in front of AC condenser)
    Stock everything else

I plan on tuning the TCM first. My questions are below.

1: TCC PWM lockup. On a stock transmission and converter, will it destroy the clutches in the torque converter if I eliminate all PWM functionality of the torque converter and have it lock up without any slipping?

2: Shift times. I have read until my eyes have bled on this subject. On a stock trans it is bad to 0 out all of the fields? What exactly does the shift times table control? I have read various answers, some people say that it deals with the "adaptive shift" functionality of the transmission and that it will compensate for wear in the transmission and some say that it has something to do with the adaptive shift pressures based on the way you drive the car. Which one is right and will it kill my transmission if I set it to 0.

3: Torque Management. While the trans is stock, I plan on removing only 50% TM. From what I have read, this is fine as long as its not beat on all day long and you keep up regular fluid changes and have a transmission cooler. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

4: Torque Converter lockup during shifts... Can the stock converter handle this? I am assuming that its a good idea to keep it unlocked during shifts right?

5: Tap Up Tap Down (TUTD) shifting. I see that the tables are there in the tune to modify all of these settings. The T42 TCM in other cars supports this feature (corvette). Has anyone attempted to enable this? Does anyone know what pins on the TCM are used for the TUTD buttons or is that controlled by the BCM somehow because I did look at a pinout of the TCM and I didnt see anything for it.

6: Shift Patterns A and B. Does anyone know when the TCM/PCM uses these shift patterns?

7: What do the "saftey shifts" do and when does the TCM/PCM use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Philbar715 View Post
    Generic title I know... I am not exactly a noob when it comes to tuning, however this is the first vehicle that I will be tuning myself. I ordered HPTuners and it will be here in few days. In the mean time I have downloaded the software and looked at various tunes in the repository and I have specific questions around tuning the transmission.

I have read through the stickied post at the top a few times. http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356667

I have an 05 A4. Mods:
    Ported TB
    Ported stock intake manifold
    Axle back exhaust
    Aftermarket plate and fin transmission cooler (mounted in front of AC condenser)
    Stock everything else

I plan on tuning the TCM first. My questions are below.

1: TCC PWM lockup. On a stock transmission and converter, will it destroy the clutches in the torque converter if I eliminate all PWM functionality of the torque converter and have it lock up without any slipping?

2: Shift times. I have read until my eyes have bled on this subject. On a stock trans it is bad to 0 out all of the fields? What exactly does the shift times table control? I have read various answers, some people say that it deals with the "adaptive shift" functionality of the transmission and that it will compensate for wear in the transmission and some say that it has something to do with the adaptive shift pressures based on the way you drive the car. Which one is right and will it kill my transmission if I set it to 0.

3: Torque Management. While the trans is stock, I plan on removing only 50% TM. From what I have read, this is fine as long as its not beat on all day long and you keep up regular fluid changes and have a transmission cooler. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

4: Torque Converter lockup during shifts... Can the stock converter handle this? I am assuming that its a good idea to keep it unlocked during shifts right?

5: Tap Up Tap Down (TUTD) shifting. I see that the tables are there in the tune to modify all of these settings. The T42 TCM in other cars supports this feature (corvette). Has anyone attempted to enable this? Does anyone know what pins on the TCM are used for the TUTD buttons or is that controlled by the BCM somehow because I did look at a pinout of the TCM and I didnt see anything for it.

6: Shift Patterns A and B. Does anyone know when the TCM/PCM uses these shift patterns?

7: What do the "saftey shifts" do and when does the TCM/PCM use them?
    I have been trying to better understand much of this as well, but I see this post is from 2016 with no answers, anyone willing to chime in? Although I believe mine is the 4L70E
    Last edited by 00GrcyGtr; 03-26-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS