Thread: How to set up MPVI to log boost?

Advanced Tuner

How to set up MPVI to log boost?

I'm just wondering what the simplest way is to log boost with new MPVI? I have an 02 Z06 with A&A P1SC making 8-9lbs. I have an autometer electric boost guage that comes with a map sensor. It looks like an older map-flat on top with the vacuum hose and plug on the bottom. The guage only reads to 15psi-the map has three wires coming out of it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

(2barMAP -100)*0.14504 = boost
    ([PID.2333]-100)*0.14504

couldnt tell you off hand how to ook up the gauge..
    also you need to have a 2 bar OS applied to your file and need to be ligging 2 bar MAP in th etable display

also at 8lbs you should be seeing somewhere around 155kPa and at 9psi you should see around 162ishkPa
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Bor-I don't want to go 2bar OS just yet. I just want to log boost in the canner-there are 3 wires coming off the sensor-just can't figure out which ones to tap into and how to scale for boost.
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

Check HERE & see if they have your P/N.

The normal pinout for the vacuum line MAP sensors are:
    Pin A: Signal Ground
    Pin B: Sigal Output
    Pin C: 5Vdc Reference

A should go to the EIO ground
    B should go to EIO input 1,2,3,or 4 (your choice)
    Always Support Our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by vortech
    Bor-I don't want to go 2bar OS just yet. I just want to log boost in the canner-there are 3 wires coming off the sensor-just can't figure out which ones to tap into and how to scale for boost.
    you realize that you will easily max out the MAF with just a few pounds of boost....(just tried to do one yesterday..we maxed out his MAF with about 2.5lbs of boost)
    and if you use the 2 bar MAP in your car with a 1 bar os you wil be using only 75Kpa worth of cells with 6psi....
    which is crappy resolution

If you get a 2 bar sensor..its very smart to get a 2 bar OS
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Check HERE & see if they have your P/N.

The normal pinout for the vacuum line MAP sensors are:
    Pin A: Signal Ground
    Pin B: Sigal Output
    Pin C: 5Vdc Reference

A should go to the EIO ground
    B should go to EIO input 1,2,3,or 4 (your choice)
    and to scale it you need to know what represenst 5 volts and what represents 0
    then it becomes volts/(total volts/total kpa range) + (minimum kpa value)

if its 20.66-210 then its range is 189.34...
    so it would be 5/189.34 = 0.02641(rounded..LOL)
    which makes it volts/0.02641 + 20.66 in your EIO equation
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Guys-thank alot for all the help. The kit is a A&A P1SC kit-it's pullied to make no more than 9lbs at peak. I got a base tune from Andy and ECS and you scan see that there was some messing with the MAF tables. I haven't seen too many guys go 2bar with only 8-9lbs. I'm just afraid if I go 2 bar OS that I'll spend more time tuning than driving my car-2bar eliminates the MAF right?
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

I just did a d1sc....maxed out the MAF at 5000 rpm....
    we ended up winging it in the VE cause he olnly had a 1 bar sensor in the car..
    he's buying a 2 bar sensor sometime in the next month and having me retune it for 2 bar
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by vortech
    Guys-thank alot for all the help. The kit is a A&A P1SC kit-it's pullied to make no more than 9lbs at peak. I got a base tune from Andy and ECS and you scan see that there was some messing with the MAF tables. I haven't seen too many guys go 2bar with only 8-9lbs. I'm just afraid if I go 2 bar OS that I'll spend more time tuning than driving my car-2bar eliminates the MAF right?
    MAF still function of you leave it connected....but you get a 2 bar VE and most guys use the VE and take out the MAF if they use a 2 bar OS...especialy seeing that MAF is in full contol over 4000 rpm on v8's and basically you do the 2 bar OS to get rid of MAF and use VE instead....
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    So if the Range is 40kpa at 0 volts and 304kpa at 5volts does that mean the range is 264? So is 5/264=0.018939393 which then equals volts/.018939393 + 40? Does this sound right-but this would only show kpa right? So if 0=-14.7 and 5volts =29.4 is the range 44.1? So then again is 5/44.1 =.1134, then volts/.1134 -14.7? Is this right?
    GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!

02 C5 Z06
    8.8@160

Another question, I have a 2 bar map hooked up for my Alky injection. The map is hooked up to EIO input #3. I can select the GM 2 Bar Map PID and see it read in kpa. When I log its very close to my stock on in no boost areas.

Is there a way to reference the EIO input PID to create a new PID in the top section of the table using Soundengineers equation? (EIO Input #3 -100)*0.14504. I cant find the PID number for the EIO inputs.

Also how do you correctly calibrate the map sensor?

Thanks
    2002 Quick Silver Z06 - Breathless Performance Shifter, DynaTech Headers SwainTech Coated, A&A Vortech Kit

BTW: There is a 2-bar GM MAP sensor PID in the EIO section of the scanner. Looks to be plug-n-play...

EC

Advanced Tuner
    BTW: There is a 2-bar GM MAP sensor PID in the EIO section of the scanner. Looks to be plug-n-play...

EC

Could this be used when scanning a Grand Prix GTP? I wanna see how much boost my wifes car is running at.

Tuner in Training
    EC TUNE, I also found that last night while trying to get my scanner to log boost. I have a GM 2 bar MAP sensor installed. Is there any reason why it wouldn't log positive manifold pressure? How would you configure this. I did notice under the 2 bar map pid, that its value was 210KPA or so.

This is in a 98 F body.
    J
    98 Formula A4 |DIY'er Racing Turbo Set Up|9.1 comp Forged internal Block|ROCK ON Stage 4 4L60E|Vig3800|HPT/Synergymotorsports assisted Tune|

J,
    If you have the 2-bar O/S in your car there is a 2-bar PID pre-configured. Just delete the standard MAP PID & use the 2-bar PID. Good to go...

EC

Tuner in Training
    J,
    If you have the 2-bar O/S in your car there is a 2-bar PID pre-configured. Just delete the standard MAP PID & use the 2-bar PID. Good to go...

EC

Thanks EC, I don't have the 2 bar O/S just yet, i'm on a 2 bar SD "custom tune" right now. Guess I'll have to upgrade so I can get it to log boost.

J
    98 Formula A4 |DIY'er Racing Turbo Set Up|9.1 comp Forged internal Block|ROCK ON Stage 4 4L60E|Vig3800|HPT/Synergymotorsports assisted Tune|

Check for the latest version (2.1.10) on your login page if you have a serial unit or go HERE for 2.1.10 if you have the MPVI (USB) unit.