Thread: Autoupdater on Mac version?

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb Autoupdater on Mac version?

In 2016, can't RaceRender offer an auto-updater in the Mac version?! There is an open source tool called Sparkle many Mac apps leverage, please check it out! This is a much more elegant solution than popping open a dialog box to goto the download page on the website...

https://sparkle-project.org

i.e.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, but in 2016 there are many applications that don't support MacOS.

Exactly. As a creative person, I really enjoy seeing as many people enjoying this product as possible, but the business reality is that we do have to prioritize what we work on. It's 2016, and I'm typing this reply from a Mac, but I'm the only person in the company who does, and a similar but less extreme Windows vs Mac ratio can also be observed in our user base. I do pride myself in us offering a proper native Mac version of RaceRender, and enjoy using that myself (along with the Windows version on another computer), as well as the marketing opportunities that has opened us up to (television production with MAV TV, 360fly partnership, etc.), but 2016 is also a time of more platform division than ever, with mainstream users wanting products for Windows, Mac, Android, and/or iOS. As you might imagine, with a niche product like this, it's not prudent to split our attention too many different ways, and not much overall progress gets made that way. Most of the new features we add apply to both Windows and Mac versions, and often can be extended to our Android and iOS offerings like TrackAddict as well. I'm sometimes able to toss in some small perks in here and there, but ultimately the strategy is to focus on each new feature benefiting as many of our users as possible.

Tuner in Training
    ^ It's to everyone's advantage to be on the latest app version as quickly and painlessly as possible. IMHO, all non app-store apps should have auto-update ability. Of course it could be added to the Mac App Store, then it would also get auto-update abilities as well...

Unfortunately, the Mac App store would mean higher prices (as Apple takes a large cut of it), it restricts what we can do, has a different installation scheme that we'd have to make code changes to accommodate, adds delays to every update that we release, and then means that our user licenses would not be transferable between Windows & Mac. If it were a mainstream app, then it could make good sense due to the potential exposure, but for niche stuff like RaceRender, we aren't going to gain any more users by going to the Mac App Store, and we (and our users) would lose a lot in the process.