Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calibrating the MAF (V6)

Advanced Tuner

Calibrating the MAF (V6)

Could someone give me some assistance? I dialed in my VE Table and now I am working on my MAF. The attached scan (051806) is the one from this morning with the air temperature being around 50 degrees. The other scan is this afternoon (051806_PM) on my way home from work. To me it looks like the idle and some of the cruise is good, but the higher cruise is rich and the top end is lean. Would I scale the MAF in the cruise range down in 2% increments and the WOT range scale it up in 2% increments? I am also attaching my most current .hpt file. This is a slow process for me since I’m still trying to learn this tuning stuff.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Advanced Tuner
    Forgot to attach the files!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone with a little help would be appreciated?
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Do you have the EIO with a wideband? Check my reply to xonelith below your post. I would command 12.2-12.5 afr since your boosted.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Russ,

No I do not yet have the EIO or a wideband yet. I was following Gary's Tuning Guide and after I tuned the VE table with the MAF unplugged it says I need to re-calibrate the MAF. I understand there are 3 different MAF modes (Idle, Cruise, and WOT) and looking at my LTFT's it looks like the idle is good, but the cruise is rich and the WOT is lean. I was wondering if I should scale the cruise and WOT in the appropiate direction? I think that would be the next logical step. I'm new at this so anyone's input is appreciated greatly.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

With out a wideband and the EIO, your just guessing the afr. The maf error % histogram on 2.0 & up makes scaling the maf easy and accurate. You need to log commanded afr low res., and maf hz. Then the histogram works. The idea is to have your afr match the commanded afr.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6039
    this might not work for you, since it didnt work for me

Advanced Tuner
    Russ,

Are you talking about the "VE AFR Error, Air Fuel Ratio Error (%)"? Since this gives you the actual error % I should be able to scale the MAF by that percentage correct? I appreciate your help. I wideband is on my list to get.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

No, the maf afr % error histogram.This is used to scale the maf. I don't touch the ve table on the V6 cars as per HP Tuners advice.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    the gary's is old
    vipers/foff67's are better!

Advanced Tuner
    I have been trying to use Gary's because Viper's didn't look right for my FWD V6. I will try to look at it again. Thanks Slow.

Russ,

Is that histo one that I have to input into HPT? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm at a loss trying to figure out which way to go first. (Been like this for months now.)
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Do you have version 2.xx HP Tuner? If so then click on the histogram button, then select #7, then click on the folder to import histogram. Then you can pick the 3rd histogram from the top "Maf-AFR Error.hst. Next click on #8 histogram button, then click on the folder to import the 4th histogram from the top. But this table needs to be set up to log your wideband O2 sensor. So click on the button to the right of #8 "Configure Histograms", rename it to MAF-WB-AFR from MAF-Commanded AFR. Then under plot value, click the PID:<click to insert or change> , now a box appears with the available PIDS. Click on the AUX>wideband O2 and click on the brand of wideband you have. I also set the decimals to 2.
    You also need to log commanded afr low res., maf freq. and your wideband O2 sensor in the table display as well. The help files show were to insert the wideband (EIO input 1) on the right of the table near the bottom. I use a FJO
    wideband O2

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, I have 2.1.10. I inserted the histo you stated, but currently I do not have a wideband. I want to get this close now due to funds. I appreciate your help. Will this still log MAF AFR error without a wideband in there? I am logging for AFR comanded lo res, and MAF Freq. I hope to try this this weekend since I'm about 400 miles away from my car right now.

Russ,
    I appreciate your help.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcrusan
    I have been trying to use Gary's because Viper's didn't look right for my FWD V6. I will try to look at it again. Thanks Slow.

Russ,

Is that histo one that I have to input into HPT? Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm at a loss trying to figure out which way to go first. (Been like this for months now.)
    it will work they are the smae motor

basic tuning of any motor is the same
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Yes, I have 2.1.10. I inserted the histo you stated, but currently I do not have a wideband. I want to get this close now due to funds. I appreciate your help. Will this still log MAF AFR error without a wideband in there? I am logging for AFR comanded lo res, and MAF Freq. I hope to try this this weekend since I'm about 400 miles away from my car right now.

Russ,
    I appreciate your help.
    Yes, you need a wideband to be able to log maf error%

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    the Least you would need is a wideband, then you'd need the HPT EIO MPVI PRO cable. I doubt you could do it without the HPT EIO MPVI PRO

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by viper04af
    it will work they are the smae motor

basic tuning of any motor is the same

I understand they are the same motor, but I recall seeing something (I can't remember right now) that you had for a parameter that I didn't. I will go through it again. Maybe this time I will understand more.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by slow6
    the Least you would need is a wideband, then you'd need the HPT EIO MPVI PRO cable. I doubt you could do it without the HPT EIO MPVI PRO

Ok, so my next thing to buy is a wideband. Is there any other way to get a tune without a wideband? I know it will not be a "dead on" tune, but I would like it to run decent as I MOD the car more and more. Thanks a lot.

Wideband + upgraded HPT = $$$$$ Do you think it would be more than $600 for both?
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner

Ok, so my next thing to buy is a wideband. Is there any other way to get a tune without a wideband? I know it will not be a "dead on" tune, but I would like it to run decent as I MOD the car more and more. Thanks a lot.

Wideband + upgraded HPT = $$$$$ Do you think it would be more than $600 for both?
    cout on 800+ for both 649 for HPT and 200+ for a WB

to tune with stock O2 i would keep the 02 voltages 900mv+ that way its safe if your boosted 950+
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

Advanced Tuner
    $509 for HpT (basic)
    $199 for HpT MPVI EIO PRO
    $150-$200 for wideband depending on if you get the LC-1 or better
    But you already have HPT so it would just be the price of the MPVI EIO PRO and the wideband