Thread: Knock Knock, Who's There? .. Race Gas That's Who

Exclamation Knock Knock, Who's There? .. Race Gas That's Who

Missing label on 3800 - Caution - Knock Sensors will give you Migraines!

Knock under load with stock AFR, 93 octane

GTP - Intake, 11psi of boost, AFR commanded to 12.0, Knocking nicely without full boost.

100 octane blend to about 97.7 octane... knocking just as much as the 93

Thoughts?.... I have a few:
    I've gone mad.
    AFR will never help knock on a 3800 with high boost set it to 10.5 and pay for more gas (hello misfire).
    I need to pull a truck of timing out (stock currently).
    My knock sensors have a life of their own turn them off, tune appropriately, and forget about them.

I'm a fan of fancy electronic wizardry saving me from myself but when it begins to complain with high octane and conservative configurations I begin to question reality. (Yes 11 AFR would probably be more appropriate but it is already knocking there in the stock config.)

Three Scans: Morning 93 octane 12 AFR, Afternoon Highway 97.7 octane, Afternoon Drag (heatsoaked)

Attachment 1500

Attachment 1501

Attachment 1502

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you HPTUNERS for allowing me to dig into my 3800 with such ease.

Exclamation Brain

Current Brain:
    Attachment 1503

I had the same issue. For me, it was torque management. I wiped it out and most of my KR went away.

Another thing, maybe the KR is false (header bouncing of something... whatever).

Final approach for me, was I purchased a new knock sensor. Haven't put it in yet, but maybe your sensor is super sensitive????
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Lightbulb PE Attack

TQM is already nuked...
    Looking at the curves with a little easier foot Attachment 1504, 5 lbs of boost hitting before PE kicks in. .. I had not adjusted PE for the smaller pulley, at 30% TPS - 2300 rpm boost is building. Stock PE table kicks in at 45% TPS. By then I'm knocked into a corner.

This will get me closer but not to the end:
    Attachment 1505
    Last edited by Industrial_K9; 08-14-2006 at 06:30 PM.

You still have COT turned on. You may actually be getting rich knock especially at lower boost levels. Kill the COT.
    Also look again at TM. Spark Retard vs Tq Reduction. Try zeroing that.
    Max torque is 640 on these applications BTW.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    what is your full mod list? that may help.
    2002 GTP Coupe
    s1x - togs - 3.2 - 3.29's - 3250 stall - HPTuned - 13.0@104
    Connecticut Club Grand Prix

By zeroing the PEvsAddvsTime table like you did, you have to shoot for a lot lower than 12.0. Try 11.6 and see how it looks.
    2000 Grand Prix GTP 11.586 @ 118.20
    Best MPH: 121.72

New Ride: 04 GTO no times or anything yet

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John_F
    By zeroing the PEvsAddvsTime table like you did, you have to shoot for a lot lower than 12.0. Try 11.6 and see how it looks.
    I'll shoot the 11.6 config and see how it pans out. With the build of heat in the engine under load a PEvsAddvsTime makes sense to put back in but I wanted to limit variables initially. TM nuked 640 all over the place ..Timing reduction nuked from TM. I'll post result tomorrow am.
    Thank you EC_Tune and John_F for your help.

never0101 - just intake with cold induction not quite finished (about ambent +5) and 3.4 quickchange pulley at this point .. baby steps till KR = 0
    '99 GTP - Intake & 3.4 Pulley - 11lbs of free power, pfft ya right

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial_K9
    never0101 - just intake with cold induction not quite finished (about ambent +5) and 3.4 quickchange pulley at this point .. baby steps till KR = 0

a 3.4 pulley is not nearly a babystep. you need to free up your exhaust before you'll be safely running that pulley . dont take offense, just trying to save you from blowing up your motor! id go up a pulley size or put in minimum of a downpipe, i dont think tuning will do enough to get you 0 kr (unless you run 5* timing heh)
    2002 GTP Coupe
    s1x - togs - 3.2 - 3.29's - 3250 stall - HPTuned - 13.0@104
    Connecticut Club Grand Prix

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by never0101
    a 3.4 pulley is not nearly a babystep. you need to free up your exhaust before you'll be safely running that pulley . dont take offense, just trying to save you from blowing up your motor! id go up a pulley size or put in minimum of a downpipe, i dont think tuning will do enough to get you 0 kr (unless you run 5* timing heh)
    Well the tune is much closer. Minimal KR 3-4 . I agree the engine definitely needs to be uncorked to gain any more and to reduce heat build. Cold runs are fine. Once that heat has built up its knock time. It’s a driver not a racer so I will take heed and not set times with it until I uncork it.

Any have any PE vs Time suggestions?
    '99 GTP - Intake & 3.4 Pulley - 11lbs of free power, pfft ya right

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial_K9

Any have any PE vs Time suggestions?
    Theres a couple things you can do with that PE vs Time table. You can go back to stock and raise the base PE back to around 12.0 again or raise base to around 11.8 - 11.9 and add some fuel using the PE vs Time table again.
    Trial and error

On the V6 cars, I always set the PE vs Time table to 0. Then set the PE to 12.0 at all temps. Now using a wideband, set the maf table to get the actual AFR to match the commanded AFR. Check some of my posts for V6 tuning tips.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    On the V6 cars, I always set the PE vs Time table to 0. Then set the PE to 12.0 at all temps. Now using a wideband, set the maf table to get the actual AFR to match the commanded AFR. Check some of my posts for V6 tuning tips.

Russ Kemp
    You dont want 12.0 on a SC car thats for sure.