Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where can I learn to tune the 2.3 Ecoboost wtih HP Tuners?

Tuner in Training

Where can I learn to tune the 2.3 Ecoboost wtih HP Tuners?

I've tuned different stand alones, but never tuned an Ecoboost.

Is there a tutorial on how to tune the 2.3 Ecoboost with the HP Tuners software?

Advanced Tuner
    Your best chance would be to read through the 3.5L Ecoboost guide posted somewhere on here. The logic seems to apply just about the same in respects to many tables and relationships. Obviously the values, etc will be different than what is shown but it might help you understand how the ECU is thinking.

gte: datalogging your stock as a baseline is important so you can see what is going on as you tune
    I wrote up a datalogging guide and a tuning guide for the SHO's 3.5L EcoBoost, but the core concept is similar on the other engines. The 2.3L EcoBoost, I assume is from a Mustang or other 2015-up Ford, has different tables for some of the settings. But this might help you out a bit:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-Tuning-Guides

Tuner in Training
    Thank you both.

I actually have a Cobb right now, so I guess I would have to log the stock tune in to be able to datalog the stock tune. I want to get rid of the Cobb and use something that I'm not locked out of.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    gte: datalogging your stock as a baseline is important so you can see what is going on as you tune
    I wrote up a datalogging guide and a tuning guide for the SHO's 3.5L EcoBoost, but the core concept is similar on the other engines. The 2.3L EcoBoost, I assume is from a Mustang or other 2015-up Ford, has different tables for some of the settings. But this might help you out a bit:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-Tuning-Guides

Tuner in Training
    @Metroplex, I'm not trying to ask too much, but do you think you can address which of these need changing and which do not for bolt ons with the stock turbo? The same way you do with your pdf with numeric labels? And then explain the ones that do need addressing? If that isn't too much to ask? I took screen caps of the RS parameters.

Most of the tables look the same, I would recommend you go through the guide step by step. Without the license for a 2.3L RS, or having a RS to experiment with, I'm not really able to just whip up a guide or tune for you to use as a foundation.

With the 2.3L, I believe your airload is going to be higher, like 2.30 or higher. Your target boost is going to be higher, maybe 25 psi or so. Again, I highly recommend you do a few baseline datalog runs to have numbers to start with.
    Last edited by metroplex; 09-26-2016 at 04:44 PM.

The tuning school has a course due this week.

Tuner in Training
    They said it would be out last week, now they've said around SEMA in mid to late October. I'm not sure what to think with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    The tuning school has a course due this week.

Tuner in Training
    Their course will be good. I been tuning mine for 7 months. Just starting to get a handle on it. 11.80@115 Tune myself, intercooler, tires, E30

Tuner in Training
    The tuning schools course is up, it is very good I have a pretty good understanding of how to do some tuning now on my ecoboost

So is HPTuners going to go back and make sure all of the missing tables/settings are put in place based on the Tuning Schools class?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    The tuning schools course is up, it is very good I have a pretty good understanding of how to do some tuning now on my ecoboost
    You are talking about this one : http://thetuningschool.com/course/fo...evel-1-course/ ?

I m also interested to help me to tune my Focus RS, but all the part for the f150 < 2014 is like 30% on the total duration and it is useless.

I would like to have more detail in order to know exactly that is in the course, is that something really more that what we could find here on the forum (http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-Tuning-Guides) ?

So I don't know if I go to purchase or not as 500 USD it's a bit expensive (for me).

Senior Tuner
    I would also like to hear from someone that has purchased and had time to review the guide. I've been contemplating many of The Tuning School courses but have been afraid they would only cover the very basics and be a waste.

Tuner in Training
    So is HPTuners going to go back and make sure all of the missing tables/settings are put in place based on the Tuning Schools class?
    +1

It just makes sense since The Tuning School is using HPTuners, and hopefully all of the settings for EcoBoost (09-12, 13-15, 15-up, etc...) are unlocked by now.

I did the course last week, learnt a lot, setting up the scanner, throttle control was a huge eye opener - for me anyway. I would recommend to a medium level tuner.

So what are you now able to do with the throttle control?

So what are you now able to do with the throttle control?
    Well, the EcoBoost vehicles I've scanned in the past shut the throttle % down to 35 in some cases. This course teaches the use of the predicted TB angle and effective area parameters.

Ill post a log later on.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Well, the EcoBoost vehicles I've scanned in the past shut the throttle % down to 35 in some cases. This course teaches the use of the predicted TB angle and effective area parameters.

Ill post a log later on.
    Thanks Stevo, Does the course talk about only stock engine or they explain as well what are the consequences and how to adjust the ECU after basic change like HF cats, intake ... ?

Tuner in Training
    For info a good info on Ecoboost Tuning from COBB : https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...d+Tuning+Guide