Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where can I learn to tune the 2.3 Ecoboost wtih HP Tuners?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cyruss View Post
    Hi Stevo, question, on the Fuel optimization part of the course. Does they just explain how to change the desired AFR or they go a bit deeper and explain how to change the VE maps according to SFTF and LTFT ?

Does they explain which groups of the VE table to change (Slope, maximum load, .....) and if we need to lock the camshaft position to be 100% on each map (each map is one position of intake and exhaust VCT).

Thanks for your feedback
    Hi Bob, Happy to have you here. So yeah could you reply to my question in the quote on top and the one below :

Any ETA's for the next level 2 course ?

I guess HF cats, catback, wategate spring pre load are considered as basic modifications and covered on the level 1 course ?

Could we ask question even if it is not part of the course after paying and seeing the level 1 course ?

Tuner in Training
    I like the course hope now HP can add the PIDS that are missing 2016 Mustang....

Potential Tuner
    Good discussion ongoing here - especially for us wavering on whether or not to go with HP Tuners and tune our cars or to go with e-tuner.

Tuner in Training
    And also paying 500USD or not for the course, as a e-tuner solution is almost the same price if the course was 300USD I'll go, but 500USD without knowing exactly the topic is a bit risky I guess.

Hi Bob, Happy to have you here. So yeah could you reply to my question in the quote on top and the one below :

Any ETA's for the next level 2 course ?

I guess HF cats, catback, wategate spring pre load are considered as basic modifications and covered on the level 1 course ?

Could we ask question even if it is not part of the course after paying and seeing the level 1 course ?
    Hi Cyruss,

The course is ongoing in its development, and as updates get added you get them without additional cost for a year. With this course being so new and different than anything guys are used to tuning, we expect some good feedback and requests for items to be added. We look at those items and determine if they should go in a level 1 or level 2 course, and add them in. However, there will always be someone with some question that isn't in the course, and that's why we provide a year of support. You are welcome to ask anything you like, and we are happy to help answer it.

For example, your question about a wastegate spring change (or complete WG changeout) isn't directly gone over in the level 1 course, but you can ask about it and we can discuss it with you. Much of our additions come from that process. We did specifically test aftermarket WG's and larger turbos, downpipes, etc.... but didn't see a need to change that table (WG Spring) on our test vehicle. As with the internet, I'm sure someone will post a flaming angry emogee saying how terrible it would be if you didn't modify that table, and in their experience (internet forum warrior, as we like to say) it has to be done. We don't get involved much on the forums because we don't have time to deal with that mentality, but we are happy to listen and test with you. In our testing, we may not have found it to be an issue, but several of you may report it and we work out a fix together. That's how progress get's made when we all work together. Nobody can test every car and every combo, but as the central point between everyone, we are always gathering the info on what's working and what's not, and tweak the courses as needed.

We find guys have been successfully tuning with the Ecoboost level 1 course with stock or bolt-on Ecoboost cars and trucks (CAI, exhaust, downpipes, things like that). We define successful as a happy student who has now gotten a better understanding of how the Ecoboost ECM operates, and what tables control Fuel, Spark, Boost, ETC, and torque management, and have succeeded in raising boost, spark, ETC and getting the fuel they request for big gains. In an Ecoboost, that's a LOT to cover, which is why we left the bigger tuning (meth injection, bigger turbos, and more) for a Level 2 course. We already have a lot of that data gathered, but we need to put it together and test it like we always do (we run our processes through guys and girls who have never tuned before, and wait on their results, and tweak as directed) and be sure it makes sense. Our goal is 1st Quarter 2017 for that course. We appreciate all you guys/girls taking the time to consider learning with us, and hope we can help serve you in some way.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob Morreale
    Last edited by bob@thetuningschool; 11-28-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcpete View Post
    I like the course hope now HP can add the PIDS that are missing 2016 Mustang....
    Thanks Pete, we appreciate it! I'm sure they will add your PIDS needed soon!

Bob

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a lot Bob for your feedback, i really appreciate the time you take to answer my concerns.

Tuner in Training
    Bob is one hell of a good guy and friend.

Tuner in Training
    Just brought the course 50 USD off today. I'll give you my feedback soon.

Just brought the course 50 USD off today. I'll give you my feedback soon.
    Awesome! I hope you enjoy it, and let us know if you have any questions while you are tuning.

Thanks,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtuner77 View Post
    Bob is one hell of a good guy and friend.
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bob@thetuningschool View Post
    Thanks Pete, we appreciate it! I'm sure they will add your PIDS needed soon!

Bob
    Should I get in touch with Eric? Theres no mapped points for TQ, no Inj dc, compressor outlet PSI, and more. Got a turbo im testing and need this stuff sir.

Quote Originally Posted by rcpete View Post
    Should I get in touch with Eric? Theres no mapped points for TQ, no Inj dc, compressor outlet PSI, and more. Got a turbo im testing and need this stuff sir.
    Sure, it never hurts to ask. They may have it or be aware and can give you an ETA.

Good luck,
    Bob

Tuner in Training
    Almost completed the course, it is a good step by step tuning course. Could have a bit more of explanation but maybe it is because I m not that much experimented in this kind of ECU with turbo. I sent to you some specific questions by mail

I will let you know guys the result on the Dyno in the next weeks.

Potential Tuner
    Good morning Bob. I'm a Happy customer of the tuning School. We got 70 WHP and 50 WTQ last night from a 2.3 Ecoboost. Just need a little helo on part throttle since the car in jerking after adjusting The predicted throttle angle and effective area. Thanks Again.

Leo

Log the scheduled and actual engine torque at the time of the issue. Most likely your exceeding expected torque. You can bump up driver demand in the area that’s being affected to help solve the issue. Try that and also keep in mind that if you can’t get it calmed down you might have to much throttle in the lower rows of the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedworks View Post
    Good morning Bob. I'm a Happy customer of the tuning School. We got 70 WHP and 50 WTQ last night from a 2.3 Ecoboost. Just need a little helo on part throttle since the car in jerking after adjusting The predicted throttle angle and effective area. Thanks Again.

Leo
    A few of us here took The Tuning Schools course, and while it does produce results, I think the way they teach to get those results is wrong and doesn't produce a good driving tune. Yes you will see good dyno numbers, but that is the extent of it. I would suggest putting all your throttle settings back stock and keeping the driver demand table close to stock also. You can also put the dyno mode tab back stock and FF table and wastegate tables back to stock also. I think you will be much happier letting the vehicle produce power on its terms and the way that Ford mapped it out rather than trying so much to make it do what you want the way that The Tuning school teaches. Read through the threads in this section and log the vehicle in the stock form with All the sources you can add (Torque source, Spark source, Fuel source....ETC) at the fastest they can log and figure out whats limiting you one by one by moving them out of the way and you will have a much healthier tune and one that drives much better. Don't just max all these limits you get to out also....Just move them up until they are just out of the way.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 02reaper View Post
    A few of us here took The Tuning Schools course, and while it does produce results, I think the way they teach to get those results is wrong and doesn't produce a good driving tune. Yes you will see good dyno numbers, but that is the extent of it. I would suggest putting all your throttle settings back stock and keeping the driver demand table close to stock also. You can also put the dyno mode tab back stock and FF table and wastegate tables back to stock also. I think you will be much happier letting the vehicle produce power on its terms and the way that Ford mapped it out rather than trying so much to make it do what you want the way that The Tuning school teaches. Read through the threads in this section and log the vehicle in the stock form with All the sources you can add (Torque source, Spark source, Fuel source....ETC) at the fastest they can log and figure out whats limiting you one by one by moving them out of the way and you will have a much healthier tune and one that drives much better. Don't just max all these limits you get to out also....Just move them up until they are just out of the way.
    +1 to what reaper said, changing the throttle area table just messes up the ecu's throttle angle calculations and makes part pedal drivability almost impossible to tune correctly. Look up the guide metroplex made on this forum, most of Ford's ecoboost ecu's use extremely similar logic and the idea's he covers can be applied to the current Ford ecu for the most part.

true words. I also did the mistake to buy this course. the changings in the TB settings does not make good results.

Advanced Tuner
    can this be applied to a 2014 ecoboost f150?