Thread: Filtering at the rev limiter

Advanced Tuner

Filtering at the rev limiter

2005 p59 gen 3 ecu, lq4 6.0
    When tuning and accidentally hitting the rev limiter, I get false data such as overly lean which makes perfect sense due to fuel cut however I need to filter this out. Tps still says 100% as this is a cable throttle body so that's a no go. Fuel injector activity still logs like normal as the limiter comes on fast.
    What are my options?

Senior Tuner
    What about bumping the rev limiter past where you'll set it
    for driving, just for purposes of tuning? You always want
    the map to go further than the operating range. Then set
    it back when done.

Filter the conditions before the fact, rather than data
    after the fact, like.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue View Post
    What about bumping the rev limiter past where you'll set it
    for driving, just for purposes of tuning? You always want
    the map to go further than the operating range. Then set
    it back when done.

Filter the conditions before the fact, rather than data
    after the fact, like.
    Higher limiter is an option but I don't want to rev any higher on this motor. Even a little higher of a limiter will most likely, if hit, still fall in the same maf frequency so I'd have to give myself a few hundred rpm more to respond fast enough. I'll have to be more observant and maybe not try to tune on my own where I am having to watch the road, my tachometer and my computer screen simultaneously.
    Last edited by Matt_lq4; 09-27-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Why not filter anything above 1 or 2 hundred rpm before that limiter? I haven't tried to do that, but I think it could be done. Or filter anything that is leaner than X (commanded AFR)?

Senior Tuner
    u could set it so it filters after the limiter rpm but set it up so it removes the data before the rpm limit, so if u go to the limit it will keep data and if u go over it will remove data before
    Last edited by 07GTS; 09-29-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    u could set it so it filters after the limiter rpm but set it up so it removes the data before the rpm limit, so if u go to the limit it will keep data and if u go over it will remove data before
    Good idea as my cut off is 6620 rpm and re-enable is 6618 rpm so I could get it very close