Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who has a working 11-14 flex fuel tune using HPtuners

who has a working 11-14 flex fuel tune using HPtuners

Ok I have tried at least 4 cars. Every time I Turn on the Flex fuel Switch I get stuck in a Cold Start Emission Reduction Spark table that has no Timing in it. I know others are having this same problem. So is there something I am missing?

Edit just to clarify that on these cars the flex fuel logic is working and the cars start and adapt fine. It isn't until you drive them that you notice they have no spark advance.

Here is a log on the problemCold start emission red.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Same problem here... I experience the problem even when changing stoich in the tune and not enabling flex fuel. Over 50% it so ethanol content and it does it for me

Advanced Tuner
    mine works fine, 13 GT strategy FPFD1B5

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Would you mind posting your file ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Did you use hptuners only on your vehicle? IF so can you post your file. You cam move the spark tables and such to stock. Just trying to figure out if its a strategy problem or something more

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
    Would you mind posting your file ?
    Here is a older tune with flex enabled. I think this is one before VCT changes, don't recall 100%. my current one also has flex enabled but it's for nitrous

Mustang_CJ_VCT_Headers_Flex.hpt
    Last edited by Jn2; 10-04-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Isn't there known issues with using a 13-14 strategy on an 11-12 car? I found your tune in the repository and was going to try it but didn't because I had read that before. If I copy the spark differences that have to do with idle and cold start from your tune to my friends 2011 his car won't even start even though everything in the tables looks good so I feel like there's something going on that we aren't seeing.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Isn't there known issues with using a 13-14 strategy on an 11-12 car? I found your tune in the repository and was going to try it but didn't because I had read that before. If I copy the spark differences that have to do with idle and cold start from your tune to my friends 2011 his car won't even start even though everything in the tables looks good so I feel like there's something going on that we aren't seeing.
    Yeah you don't want to mix 11/12 strategies into 13/14 car, or vice versa.

Tuner in Training
    Post up the tune and I'll take a look

Senior Tuner
    Here is a tune file from a car I have the issue on. When we got too high of ethanol content and it started doing it I turned off flex fuel and changed stoich in the tune and it still had the same problem.

FlexFuelRev4.hpt

I've gotten a few emails about this. If you guys cannot find a solution with the current available parameters, please let me know and I will see if I can come up with a solution.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    I have spent a good bit of time trying values from all different tunes that have flex fuel working and can't seem to find a solution. The problem I encountered causing the car to not even start after modifying certain spark tables seems odd also and I wonder if it could somehow be related.

Senior Tuner
    I noticed that your emissions reduction distance table is zeroed out, compared to Jn2's tune. This could possibly cause the car to get stuck in that mode with out seeing some distance off MP0. The high amounts of fuel and low amount of air(load) once the car adapts could be the root cause of all this. The ECU doesnt know its cleaner burning fuel and it just thinks its burning too much fuel and goes into emissions mode.
    My other thought would be the inferred EGTs get too low and O2 duty cycles are too high causing it to go into the emissions mode. You could mess with those tables and see where that gets you.
    Last edited by murfie; 10-04-2016 at 12:53 AM.

I noticed that this emissions reduction table seems to be populated in 13/14 files, but not 11/12, even on V6 cars.

Senior Tuner
    It does it with or without the values in the Emissions Reduction table. I just tried that. The only thing I'm seeing that I haven't messed with yet different is LTFT Air Mass vs. KAM. Think that is the problem? I'll try changing it to what the newer cars have it set to next time I get a chance to mess with my friends 2011

Senior Tuner
    I wonder if in the older strategies the flex fuel multiplier tables in the borderline and MBT spark area ending at 65% is whats limiting the spark. After 65% it doesn't infer 1 and just multiplies by 0. This auto infer could have been fixed in the newer strategies and the 65% would then need to be change to 100% in the older cars for the multiplier to work above 65%. The blending vs % goes to 100% in both years.
    Modify it to look like this.
    FF x.PNG
    Last edited by murfie; 10-08-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Senior Tuner
    No. It didn't make a difference setting it to 1. I have the same issue even without flex fuel enabled. Can just set the stoich in the tune and it still goes into this mode.

I appreciate everyone's attempts to work together to help find a solution.

Yea I just tried another coyote yesterday. Same problem.

in for solution