Thread: LS1 Beginner Tuner

Tuner in Training

LS1 Beginner Tuner

Hello , this is my first HP post. I've been using HP for over a year now with upgrades here and there. My most recent upgrade was a cam install on my stock LS1. I've done the AFR, MAF, and idle tuning and feeling more comfortable. I was wondering if someone can look at my tune AFR and MAF histograms and see if they look ok. Car runs awsome, I love HP tuners, but not afraid to admit to being a newbie to this era type of tuning. I know my file is the old HP2 version but I was absolutly lost when I switched to the HP3 in the middle of tuning so I switched back.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    that VE is abnormal. NA you should be max at 105 correction, also depending on your cam, i dont think those little LS1 injectors would be enough
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    Comparing that file to a stock 01 M6 F-body file you changed 5 tables. Idle Speed, Idle Airflow, VE, MAF, and PE. Sorry but all five tables look horrible. Return them all to stock and start over.

Tuner in Training
    Horrible? Dang! Here are my my mods to this LS1 WS6 M6. Airbox, long tubes, larger rear pipe with flowmaster 40, ASA cam, LS6 springs, LS2 chain. It idles great from cold start, comes off and returns to idle great. Is the peak in the VE what is adnormal? I tend to agree on the 28# injectors but changing pump first that's on order. I've looked for histograms for similar setups but they're all in HP3 format. Ues I know I should update but I was lost when I did it last time.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Final After Cam After SD and MAF before WOT_changes.hpt

flash this, again depending on your cam specs your injectors may be out
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Will do, and thank you very much for your time. The cam specs are 226/236 .525/. 525 110.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, sorry it took so long. I flashed your attached tune and here is my warm up and basic low RPM driving scans. What do you suggest doing from this point?

Tuner in Training

PE Table

If normal driving looks good, should I just make adjustments in the PE multiplier table for WOT to get the AFR correct?

Still needs more tuning, it's pulling fuel just about everywhere. Commanded AFR is 14.6 but your wideband shows 12-13's for the most part the fuel trims are pulling fuel nearly all the time.

More VE and MAF tuning first to get fuel trims in check, then you can work on WOT.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, with that said I have a question. I put some miles on it in normal non tuning mode to see what my trims would do. After settling down with little or no STFT going on, I noticed that my wideband "gauge" is agreeing with commanded AFR, but my wideband in the scanner is about 1 point rich. Am I having a ground offset issue?

Tuner in Training
    LOL, don't answer that. When I installed the wideband last year I did a fresh air calibration on my gauge, never did it on HP Tuner. Using the Bosch LSU4.2. Will do that next and log a run. I am learning though.

Tuner in Training
    I hope I'm on the right track here. I'm using the fuel trim method this time which is much easier and I seem to get better results. I dialed in my wideband better (bosch LSU4.2). The run file attached was before smoothing.

Something is messing up your readings for sure it seems, the VE table is far too choppy. Look at your 3D graph.

Remember to remove the MAF sensor from the channels when VE tuning. I'd still try and use your wideband to make an AFR error to dial in the VE.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training

Injector Change

Hello again, I'm still working on tuning my LS1. Started from scratch as you recommended and found some of my set up errors. Changing fuel pump and cracking open throttle 2% really helped out with some issues. As we figured, I was pushing over 90% injector duty cycle over 5000 rpm. I replaced the stock 28# injectors with 36#. I understand how to calculate the 0 volt flow rate but I'm having issues finding information on where to go from there. I'm thinking that I need new flow/KPA and offset tables just to start. Anyway you could help me with this? Below is what I know about these injectors. My rail pressure is 62 psig.

Technical Data 0280155737

Coil Resistance: Approx.12 Ohms / High Impedance
    Static Flow Rate: 36 lb/hr = 380 cc/min @ 43.5PSI ( 300kPa )
    Gain: 0.12ms/MG
    Offset: 0.055ms
    Turn on time @ 14VDC: 1.14ms
    Turn off time: 0.85ms @ 300KPa
    Amperage: 1.0 Amps
    Pressure: Min 30PSIG/ Max 100PSIG

Advanced Tuner
    0 volt flow rate? Most important table to change at this point is the flow rate vs kpa table. offset vs volts vs vac table and short pulse adder table and min/default injector pulse tables are also important and should be modified.

Some of these values/tables are things you simply cannot calculate (some you can such as flow rate vs kpa), they must be measured on an actual test apparatus. Thankfully you got some common injectors with known data.

See attached data

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, I was referring to the help in HP tuner, "Your new injector flow rate will be calculated automatically. This rating is for 0 VAC." Thanks greatly for the file! I will input that data and go from there. Thanks again!

Any update? I just installed the same injectors. How has the tuning been for you?

Tuner in Training
    Injectors are performing great, about 65% duty cycle at WOT.

Would you mind sharing your tune on here? I'd like to compare with mine. I'll attach my tune as well.9th21217tune.hpt
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6, Forged LS6, Ported LS6 Heads, LS6 BBK Intake, Texas Torquer V3 cam 231/234 .643/.598, Harland Shop Roller Rockers, TSP Hardened Pushrods, Pacesetter Headers, LS7 Lifters, SLP Oil Pump, 3" Exhaust Borla w/cutout, Mahle Pistons w/Hellfire Rings, Forged Eagle Rods, ASP Underdrive Pulley, Rollmaster DBI Timing Chain, LS7 Clutch, BMR Torque Arm/Suspension, 3:73 gears, Pro 5.0 Shifter, ARP 2000 Bolts

Tuner in Training
    Hey, sorry, been recovering from the flu. Here is my tune that is still a work in progress. Please feel free to comment on anything about the tune. Are you using the old HP 2.24 version or the newer 3.0+ version?back to normal after tuning 6 16FEB17.hpt