Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM 6spd auto shift settings is this safe to change

GM 6spd auto shift settings is this safe to change

I am wondering if I can change the auto shift patterns to performance without causing any damage to transmission right now pattern A is set to pattern 1 and pattern B is set for economy mode. If you don't know for sure please leave comments out I only want information from an experienced tuner who has dealt with this and knows for absolute sure of the outcome Thanks in advance for all help..

What vehicle?

I only have Normal, pattern A and pattern B in my Silverado with the 6L80e. Everything is considered normal or pattern "x" for shift pressures unless I select tow/haul but that mode is pointless to make adjustments too.

It also says under the shift pattern type to NOT CHANGE them, doing so could brick the computer.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 08-22-2016 at 08:52 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It is a chevy Silverado 5.3 flex fuel 3.42 gears with 275/55/20 tires the shift from 2-3 is flared if abouve 40 percent throttle so tring to get rid of it my tune shows a performance section but like stated could brick ecm and I think there is someone who has tried and knows just need that person to confirm so I know what way to go . and is a 2011 year model 2wd

Adjust shift pressures and the on-coming pressure presets a little to try and get rid of the shift flare. It seems to help the issue and makes the shifts overall better.

Post the tune and I can tell you what you can try. I've had good success tuning my 6L80e with some minor adjustments.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Here it is , check it out and if you see anything that could use a review let me know and I will revisit it ,please outline in detail of what and why so that I can gain a greater understanding of how to deal with future issues or help others later Thanks in advance .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Again this is a 2011 Silverado 5.3 flex fuel with 3.42 and six speed just to make sure that I clarified that

Just a FYI off the bat, stock driveshafts are not rated for speeds over 100mph. I noticed you removed the limiter so I wanted to let you know, they can and will explode at speeds above 100mph. You may get lucky a few times but I'd be careful for sure.

On the 2010+ 6L80e's the real main shift time tables is the "Shift time torque Adder" upshfit normal tables. If you click on the 1-2 shift you will see how quick its calling for a desired shift time based off engine torque and rpm. I normally keep keep is scaled but reduce the numbers to quicken the shifts. On a big heavy truck like these keep it around .3000 for a maximum shift speed. I've done quicker but it can clunk and get jerky on you so I wouldn't go past that. Change your regular 1-6 gear changes but you can leave the double shift and triple/quad (3-5, 2-6) shifts like stock as they fine.

On the shift pressure side, a table to help with minor flaring is the base shift pressure upshift X tables. From 0-221 ft lbs and from 68-257 degrees trans temp, adding 5-10% more to the shift pressure should help. Do that for the 1-4 gears as 5th and 6th are pretty much overdrives and don't really need it, I don't mess with them.

Next is the Oncoming pressure presets, it's also used for how quickly it enters the next gear. If you click on the 1-2 shift there are a 0,1,2 with 3 different numbers, like 11, 35 and 53 psi. I normally add anywhere from 10-20% depending on gear to help get a nice clean shift. Try like 18, 45 and 65 for the 1-2 shift and adjust 2-3 and 3-4 shifts as well.

I've done these changes on a few trucks now and the results were great with no complaints and much better shifting feel.

Also anytime you make transmission related changes like these you must let the computer know, flashing the tune file is needed of course but one more step needs to be taken. After you flash the tune and before you start the vehicle, open the vcm scanner, start scanning (cycle the key first) ,once the scanner is running go to the special functions icon. Once in there go to the tranmsission part and find the "transmission presets reset" I think it's called. There will be a reset and preset button, do rest and then preset so it will take the changes made to the tune. Start the vehicle and go for a drive and see what it's like. The first few times through the gears it might be a little lungy feeling or lurch a bit but it will calm down quickly as it relearns.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 09-04-2016 at 10:24 PM.

I will attack this as soon as I get back home off the road this is real info that I have been needing thank you for the information and I will update to let you know how it works out . have a great labor day .

I made changes to the tune but the numbers you describe in the oncoming pressure presets are no where close to what is showing in my tune if you get a chance take another look at it to see what I am talking about, other than that I made changes and will be running it to see where I may need to tweak it after initial changes, I will take into advisement about the driveshaft, I generally do not drive that fast but have once or twice . I will say that I have learned a lot in the last 8 months with the software , it is much diffternt than all of my old sb stuff with 4150's on top and simple timing with distributers and simple cable or servo changes to adjust the transmissions , but once I have these basics down on the electronic way it will be just as easy I hope. again thanks for your help . Have you ever had much trouble with spark retard on these trucks because I cant seem to get the timing up even with good gas , Its like the knock sensors are hearing ghost knock because I cant hear anything please advise if you are able. also you can email me at [email protected] also

Change the setting from kpa to psi on the on-coming pressure presets. KPA is in green in the upper right corner, just click it until it changes over to psi.

If you are getting knock under heavy load I'd suspect your lean commanded AFR. 12.9 is pretty lean in a heavy truck with minimal to no other major mods done. Richen it up to 12.3ish under full throttle.

I would agree with being careful about going over the speed limiter with the stock driveshaft. They absolutely do explode... it's not a one in a million type thing either
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I have made changes of 15percent across the board for 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts also have power enrichment set for 18 % at 1.18, Will load this in and give it a run and a relearn thanks will update on progress thanks for all of the help

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy9185 View Post
    I have made changes of 15percent across the board for 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts also have power enrichment set for 18 % at 1.18, Will load this in and give it a run and a relearn thanks will update on progress thanks for all of the help

Are you talking about the EQ ratio??

That table isn't a power enrichment percent. It means 14.68/1.180 = 12.4 afr commanded.

So if that is the commanded afr where do I find the area to set power enrichment to 12.3 , sometimes I wish this was a old holly carb LOL but with help and trial and error I will learn , I am like a blind pig in the woods every once in a while I will find an acorn lol thanks for pointing that out

EQ Ratio is your commanded AFR. So if you wanted to command 12.3, you'd need to enter like 1.195ish or close that.

Always read the text blurb at the bottom of the window when you drag your mouse over the table, it will say what most of the tables mean.

I did that set it 1.19 shifts are better will have to fine tune 2-3 shift but a lot better overall thanks

Potential Tuner
    will you help with a 07 esv tune file?

what types of problems are you encountering, post your tune and it will increase you chances of someone being able to help

Advanced Tuner
    To clear a stuck solenoid do you just press reset in the scanner. Then do you do the preset? What is the exact procedure?
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Tuner in Training
    i love the tech info. post a vid if you guy can on the gm trannies