Thread: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Supercharged- Can't force open loop, cant force PE until WOT

2005 Jeep Wrangler Supercharged- Can't force open loop, cant force PE until WOT

2005 Jeep Wrangler,
    SRT 4 MAP
    SRT4 injectors
    Walbro fuel pump
    Ripp Supercharger Kit
    Golen 4.6 stroker.

Long story short, I've been working on this one for 2 years. I'm out a ton of money and time on this, and I'm doing everything I can to make the customer whole.

Vehicle was originally flashed with Diablo, then SCT, now HPTuners.
    Everything is great.....EXCEPT I can't force open loop (Even if I set enable to 191 C and disable the O2 switches), and I can't get enrichment no matter how low I set the pedal voltage for enrichment .

HP Support has basically told me (I'm paraphrasing) there is nothing wrong on their end and they cannot help me.

Could I be dealing with a corrupt PCM?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    stupid question, how have you verified you are not in open loop? 2005 is a funky year, not sure a reflash clears your fuel trims. You could be just logging old fuel trims learned from before but still be in open loop.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    stupid question, how have you verified you are not in open loop? 2005 is a funky year, not sure a reflash clears your fuel trims. You could be just logging old fuel trims learned from before but still be in open loop.
    Long terms and short term fuel trims are still present.

Senior Tuner
    could be the issue I mentioned then, fuel trims are just not clearing from the memory. Pull the ASD fuse or try to the fuel trim reset in the scanner special functions (if its there). There is a parameter you log in the scanner for open or close loop, called Fuel System #1 Status (SAE). See if its there for you, this will tell you your open/closed loop status.

Potential Tuner
    In order to reset my LTFT's on my 2005 wrangler, I remove the 3 plugs from the PCM for 5 to 10 minutes. It definitely resets the trims. Only way I've found to do so. I found this information in another post of 06300CSRT8's on these forums.

I have Coolant Temp and ECT Rear both set at 376F as well, with my O2 sensors enabled, and it keeps me in open loop. STFT's never adjust and Wideband reflects this.

Potential Tuner
    Was there ever a solution to this issue? I have a supercharger on my 05 with a piggyback Split Second fuel timing computer. The extra fueling and timing retard is working fine but the Jeep isn't going into open loop like it should be and is trying to compensate for the extra fuel from the injector in the supercharger.

I've adjusted the TPS WOT triggers to nearly zero and it makes no difference.

I haven't touched the coolant temp closed loop trigger yet, I suppose that would probably keep it in open loop indefinitely, if it actually works. That's not exactly the solution I'd like either.

Tuner in Training
    Would it help to reference a Banks Turbo tune in HPT format? I don't think it always goes open loop instantly either. They use 35 lb. injectors with no extra injector.

Potential Tuner
    Can't say that would help my specific issues but it'd still be cool to see what they did, so yeah, if you have a copy of that, that'd be cool. Going to larger injectors all around has been plan b for a while anyway. I did max the coolant closed loop temp yesterday and it drives much better, not fighting the enrichment when the boost comes on, but has some odd quirks out of boost in the lower revs.

This is the first vehicle I've ever done any tuning on, so I'm still figuring a lot of this out.

Potential Tuner
    So as an update I'm running open loop all the time now, and after clearing out the LTFTs it runs good. Idles at around 14 afr, acceleration out of boost is anywhere around 12.5 to 13.5.
    When the 7th injector kicks in during boost, it runs too rich, as low as 9.5 when it starts choking itself, but I will tune that out with the Split Second FTC.

What's the downside to just running open loop all the time?

And how rich is too rich out of boost? I don't want to wash the cylinders and kill the rings or something.

I don't see any other way to make this work.

Do you ever get this figured out?
    2004 jeep LJ
    Stock supercharged 4.0, 36lb injectors, 62mm bbk throttle body.
    2017 f250 6.7 Diesel
    2020 Explorer 2.3 ecoboost

Tuner in Training
    Check under PE and make sure the WOT time delay and rpm settings are zeroed out.

Quote Originally Posted by TJTurbo View Post
    Check under PE and make sure the WOT time delay and rpm settings are zeroed out.
    I am sure Ryan got this figured out since he is now the Jtec Guru. I don't think he will offer much help at this point as it may cut in to his business.
    2004 jeep LJ
    Stock supercharged 4.0, 36lb injectors, 62mm bbk throttle body.
    2017 f250 6.7 Diesel
    2020 Explorer 2.3 ecoboost

Tuner
    you probably right, he sure didn't reply back to let this thread know how he solved his issue

Hi everyone- I don't always check this forum. Long story short, PCM was corrupt, new PCM and hptuners and customer was good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    I am sure Ryan got this figured out since he is now the Jtec Guru. I don't think he will offer much help at this point as it may cut in to his business.
    I have helped thousands of people over the last decade. 05 is a NGC3 anyways...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    Hi everyone- I don't always check this forum. Long story short, PCM was corrupt, new PCM and hptuners and customer was good to go.
    Ryan, did you have a surefire way to diagnose that the PCM was corrupt with this issue? I'm working on the exact same YMME, and experiencing the exact same issue. Vehicle will not go into open loop no matter how low the enable voltages are set, delays zeroed out, etc. This customer and build has been through the ringer over the last 6 months, so I just want to reassure him that the PCM is going to rectify this current issue.

A lot of times a simple reflash with the stock file will help, I have had similar issues before and this has work.

Reflash with factory file
    Do a new read
    Re load tune

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

Quote Originally Posted by N2speed View Post
    A lot of times a simple reflash with the stock file will help, I have had similar issues before and this has work.

Reflash with factory file
    Do a new read
    Re load tune

I ran into the same deal twice with 05 4.0 jeeps , both times a re-flash to stock was 1st step, worked once the 2nd one the PCM was corrupt.