Thread: iPhone autofocus

Tuner in Training

iPhone autofocus

Is there any way to bypass the autofocus on the iPhone 6 SE? I see some Android phones have such an option. My phone has a tendency to focus on the windshield rather than outside.

The iOS version of TrackAddict sets the camera to a far focus, in an attempt to avoid problems like that. In many cases, that's effectively locking it to an infinity focus and works really well, but as you've found, there can still be some issues if it sees something nearby (pits in a windshield, etc).

Try as we might, I don't believe iOS gives us a way to guarantee an infinite focus... Our options are essentially "far", "near", or automatic (which is very problematic for this type of use). We could also set a lens position, but Apple makes a point to mention that using the maximum setting there still doesn't guarantee infinity, so I'm not sure if that's really any better, and it could introduce some problems.

One thing you could try is to change the distance between the phone and the windshield glass... It might actually work better if you move the phone a bit closer to the glass. Also, it's usually advisable to clean both sides of the glass to help make it as invisible as possible. And finally, it will set the focus when you start recording, so it could be helpful to start the recording at a time when you aren't facing the sun or otherwise having a lot of windshield glare... In Circuit mode, it normally starts when you reach 10 MPH, but you can press the button to start it manually before then. In Segment or Drag modes, it starts as soon as the vehicle is stopped.