Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molch's DIY tune touchup - Ford G6E Turbo

Molch's DIY tune touchup - Ford G6E Turbo

Hey guys, new to the world of hptuners and have been doing as much reading and learning that I possibly can. My car has a few mods and was originally bought with an SCT x3 and a couple of tunes for e85 and 98.

My turbo bearings failed and i went through an upgrade and finding a new tuner. Just as I got one problem sorted another jumped up until my final piece of luck and my X3 was stolen out of my car.

So I decided instead of paying for another SCT unit and future tunes, I would jump into HPTuner and get it setup the exact way I want. Also want to build another E85 tune once I am completely happy with a 98 tune. I've previously tuned a forexter xt (2.5l turbo), which made decent safe power and never exploded so just going to apply the same go slow process to this.

Mods: Mamba Gt 3584 turbo (T04z 12 wheel hybrid), 4inch Dump and exhaust to xforce twin tips, 1000cc injectors, Herrod in tank e85 pump (350lph walbro), Turbo Side Intake, PW stage 2 Intercooler.

My Aim is to get a safe level of power out of it while maximising usable power. In hindsight, maybe I shouldve chosen a different turbo but ill do what I can with what I now have. I will use this forum to keep a log of the work and choices I make along the way.

Long term I'm hoping to maybe even one day do a how to write up for newbies. Something with similiar structure and outcomes to this http://files.jdmvip.com/SubaruFast/e...ng%20guide.pdf but for HPTUNER and our Turbo Fords.

So first up trying to determine what I should be monitoring using V3.x of the scanner. Looks to me like historically not many used the logger and found and SCT device to be better. I believe that now we have many of the DMR's defined so this is improved. I am planning to be only using VCM Scanner.

I went and added most of the ford DMR's, did a scan this morning and it only returned 3 of the results I was requesting. I'm pretty sure this is due to trying to scan for too much data at once. Ive found that Max Bytes should be less then 48 but preferably lower then 24 to get the best results. It looks like the table summary containing the max bytes does not exist in V3 of the software.

Initially I want to determine base engine stats (RPM, ECT, throttle position), and then some details for boost and spark.

So to get started does anyone have any saved channel config files they are willing to share?

Attached is my first channels config and a math parameter for boost. Still trying to figure out how to get the customer math parameter added to the channel config.

Boost Pressure (PSI).MathParameter.xml

g6e-spark - boost.Channels.Channels.xml

Potential Tuner
    Welcome mate, i'm new to tuning with hp tuners myself and haven't had the chance to get into it much apart from doing a few conversion or helping out mates with badly tuned pcm just so they'd run. Any information you are willing to put forward will be helpful, i know there's plenty of info out there but when its all scattered between different threads or forums it can be hard to put together specially when no one wants to share the knowledge. Best of luck anyway

Cheers Menice.

So first log attached. Things I've noted.

Need to add Load to the next log.
    Need to create custom channel for boost
    Need to get LC-1 hooked up for AFR's

Couple of concerns

1.)There was a Fw knock events. I do have a intermittent clicking lifter. could it be that?
    2.) Its over boosting on gear changes and a couple of other points. At non of these is WGDC very high so i need to look into this.

drive 0002.xlsx

Advanced Tuner
    Can you post your engine and trans tune to have a look at?

What do you guys think of the below. The turbo I'm using comes on boost a bit later then the 3582. I will monitor boost and see what is achieved with WGDC closed and then change the desired boost numbers to match. End goal is to re-enable the boost control and have similiar operation whether in closed loop or open loop operation.

You have not sealed that flapper correctly and over shot the port ( if everything else is correct ) as that's enough D/C to send a rocket to the moon on a mechanically correct turbo vehicle

As Terry has said, up load your file and a full data log if you want help that's not just guessing
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Quote Originally Posted by JETURBO View Post
    You have not sealed that flapper correctly and over shot the port ( if everything else is correct ) as that's enough D/C to send a rocket to the moon on a mechanically correct turbo vehicle
    Ok cheers Jet, I haven't loaded the above WGDC and Boost tables to my ECU as yet, was just looking for some opinions as it was much much lower and is not building the boost I want it to down low. No changes have been made to the flapper port since the car was boost creeping to 26psi. What I did do was port a channel inside the housing to improve & direct the flow to the wastegate flapper.

Is it a normal strategy to have WGDC of 1 down low in the RPM until desired boost is built or am I way off in the first half of the WGDC table? according to some crappy logs I took this morning driving to work:

5psi by 2000rpm @ WGDC around 50
    10psi by 2250rpm @ WGDC around 50

Ill attach the log and file shortly

Ok I know Im still only talking theory at the moment. Have changed the WGDC to be less aggressive. May still be over the top but its probably a better start then what I had before. Id really like all my engine parts to stay in this world and not blast off to the moon.

Next step before I even make a single change is to log some more. I'll take a detour home today and I'll try and do a couple of WOT runs this afternoon on the freeway in 3rd gear. Now that I fitted the innovate LC1 on the weekend I'm interested to see where my AFR's are sitting.

hmm forgetting about boost or WGDC for a while. I had a look at the AFR's on the log above. They average out aligned to the "Fuel Base" table to 4000 RPM then over it looks to me like they start to run lean.

I had my car on a dyno only a month or so back and it appeared to have AFR's floating around 12 so not sure if this is a problem with my wideband or if it is running lean. I am guessing this could come to do injectors or pump or ????

The Injectors are ID1000's so they are ok, the fuel pump is a herrod intank e85 pump (Dont have exact specs but i believe walbro 350LPH in custom case).

Do you think it could be a mechanical limitation or is it a tuning issue?

Some logging is showing my AFRs are not close to the fuel base. When I started this thread I was assuming my fueling would be fine and connecting the wideband wast going to confirm this was ok and give me a point of reference to continue to measure.\

Now that's not the case im questioning whether my fueling was incorrect to start with, my wideband is innacurate or replacing my narrowband with my wideband ( LC1 - replicating the narrowband ) is warping my stft/ltft and affecting the whole system.

Question, does the ltft affect WOT OL fueling? What are the thoughts of more experienced people on here?

drive 0003 -home.xlsx

Tuner
    The car could definitley be running leaner once it is loaded up properly, it's hard to check sensors unless you also have a known trustworthy sensor, otherwise just make sure your sensor is free air calibrated..

Lower your high slope to make a global WOT fuel change or lower the corresponding cells value in the SD table to alter it by cam angle and rpm... to put it simply

The trims do not effect WOT fueling

How is Speed density tuned on the FG's? I dont see any of the tables for MAP per Airmass (High Res) under any of the FG tunes that I load up in VCM. I have seen them on a BF tune so can see what im looking for.

Also below is a small wot run done in 3rd gear this morning only up to 4500. You can see the fueling doesn't match my base fuel table also below. Even if my wideband is not as accurate as needed I would expect the measured lambda to still follow the trend of the base fuel which it doesnt.

Fuel bas Table:

Speed Density options:

Tuner in Training
    Different turbo would have different airflow to standard. Maybe try comparing your speed density figures to a FG F6 (similar turbo) to see the difference (once you work out where they are).

Also lower your target AFR above 3000rpm which is where the error seems to start and log again to see if it makes a difference, if not you may be running out of fuel.

well finally got a decent log. I found the scanner is not too happy (kept freezing) working on Virtual Box of my macbook. My brothers windows 7 HP laptop worked flawlessly.

After some decent runs and everything looking good, upped the WGDC and also upped the timing under 2500RPM back to standard numbers and ended up my Sunday with the following data log.

drive 0007 frewway entry 1 - interpolate.csv

This was the WGDC, Wideband fuel logs and boost logs. 3rd gear pull on a freeway onramp. Im happier with the fuelling as it is dipping a little rich between 2300 and 3000 but its not anything to be too worried about at the moment. The rest of the RPM its pretty much as requested in the Base fuel table.

Obviously have some work to do on WGDC but will get it to 19-20PSI all the way through the rev range.

Ok, its been a while since I have posted an update in here.

I have had some time recently to look back into my tuning. After skipping the injector tuning as I thought the previous tuners would of left it in a good spot, I noticed the LTFT were around -15. around idle and low down under 2000 rpm. So I disabled closed loop and drove the car around in open loop for a week. It was running so rich i went through a tank of fuel in like 250kms. Under WOT pulls it was close to target AFR but it was cruise and idle that was running really rich.

This led me to believe I should be targeting Low slopes.

This week I have changed the injector low slope by multiplying the current low slope value by 1.1 to make it 10% leaner when under the breakpoint.

Original Low Slope: 126.35379 lb/h
    New Low Slope:138.98910 lb/h

High Slope: 107.22022 (Unchanged)

I re-turned on closed loop and the ltft and stft values have been with 5 and everything was looking good around idle and also generally feeling smoother (placebo-effect maybe)!

Then I did some logging to see how things were looking and its not all adding up. The car is going lean at different rev ranges when under load. At idle etc its looking good.

Below are some charts and logs Ive made using HPTUNERS.

IDLE: 0013 - driveway idle.hpl

WOT RUN 1: 0013 - 3rd gear run 1 - lean spots.hpl

WOT RUN 2: 0013 - 3rd gear run 2 - lean spots.hpl

Any tips to point me in the right direction? I didn?t buy or install the injectors and its possible when I bought the car I was handed incorrect information. Was told they were ID1000?s but the invoice says KPM injectors. The initial tune data didn?t match the spec sheets of either so it leaves me puzzled here.

Is the Injector data just way off and I need to start again with the injector offsets and slopes???
    Or is the lean spot a symptom possibly a fuel pump or fuel filter causing the issues?

Ive also just done a few more runs i'm still looking at the data. It looks like it replicable and I notice that the injector pulse width flattens out where the lean spot is also.

the below example shows its between 3500-4000rpm then flattens back out!