Thread: Garmin VIRB XE camera Accelerometer & multi-camera

Tuner in Training

Garmin VIRB XE camera Accelerometer & multi-camera

Considering moving away from GoPro to Garmin VIRB XE for multiple camera support. Any experiences with the VIRB XE?
    The Garmin VIRB XE, has a built-in Accelerometer and GPS that would be nice to leverage. Do not see an option in TrackAddict to select an external source for the Accelerometer, is this something being considered in a future release?

For multi-camera support on Garmin, is my understanding correct, in that TrackAddict would be able to start the master camera and the master camera would then start the slave?

I haven't tested with the VIRB XE model, but rather the earlier VIRB Elite... TrackAddict is able to start & stop video recording with that camera, and theoretically any other Garmin cameras that use the same protocol and endpoint, when the phone is connected to its WiFi network. Whether that works for the newer XE or it's multi-camera mode is not yet known.

As for tapping into a camera's accelerometers or GPS in general, we typically get more reliable and just as good, if not better, data from the smartphone itself. Camera GPS'es are usually 1 Hz just like a smartphone, with similar accuracy, and the accelerometer data is really sensitive to latency and sampling rates. So, we probably wouldn't pursue trying to get it from a camera, as that adds a lot of complexity and potential problems without offering much potential improvement in return. However, that data is often still available in RaceRender if you wish to use it. As I recall, the Garmins should give a .GPX file with at least its GPS data in it.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the quick response. I'll track down a local retailer to give it a quick test drive.