Thread: Vve tuning done right?

Advanced Tuner

Vve tuning done right?

the car is a '10 camaro SS auto, its a full bolt ons cars + tsp vvt1 cam on the stock converter, the paid tuner only did idle and PE settings and now im trying to tune the SD part and then tune the MAF, set fail high freq to 2 and started logging, after each iteration y reset the LTFT thru the logger, but at the end my VVE table ended up looking pretty irregular.
    camaro2010 tune vve 1.hpt
    camaro2010 tune vve 3.hpt
    SD log 3.hpl

vve1 is the stock program only with the MAF failed
    vve3 is what the program ended like after i did my 4th iteration (MAF is restored because it was late at night and i wasnt doing any more changes for the day to the car)
    LOG 3 is what came right before the 4th iteration.

am i missing something, did i fail the MAF incorrectly ?
    does it look like that because it still needs more driving?
    the car is really slow off the line (wont even bark the tires on launch), tuning the SD part will fix this?

Tuner
    In VVE 1 set the DTC's P0101, P0102, P0103 to "Mil on First Error". You can leave SES ticked for light or untick.
    Under Airflow in Eng Diagnostics set High/Low Threshold count to 1 & 1.
    Set Dynamic Airflow RPM Disable/R-enable to max or some high rpm the engine doesn't see.

That will get you into speed density.

You need to gather steady state data, the more the better, you can use a combination throttle, gears and brake to hit cells, just try to get steady state though.

Look into setting up filters for your graph to weed out shite data.

Just to add a tidbit more, when changing the VVE copy your changes to the rest of the tables so they match up :ie Man Switch Closed is default table that gets opened, so if you are making changes to that table, copy those changes to the Man Switch Open and the DoD tables as well just for sanity sake.

The more I look at this the more needs doing. Turn off you Cat over temp protection whilst tuning as well as DFCO, you can do that by raising the enable temp (max it out).
    Last edited by Codes; 10-07-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, started over, drove quite a bit and populated as many cells as possible, also raised PE to 50% so i it would be easier to populate them, im surprised to see that even with a cam it has negative trims mostly. heres the resulting tunes and the last log
    camaro2010 tune vve 4n.hpt
    SD log 3N.hpl
    still not a smooth looking ve graph as a result. And still a sluggish car off the line

I also made my cells hit count atleast 50 otherwise your not getting good enough data. I see MAF is still registering, I unplugged the yellow signal wire from the harness to prevent signal. Your VVE table still looks like the rockies smoothing it out via tuning does help off line throttle response. In VCM scanner you can force closed loop tuning as well. I have a VVT1 in my truck and I had the same off line issue, now it spins the 37" mud tires a bit. It does take time and try to do it all in the same day too.
    Last edited by RySmDPT14; 10-08-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RySmDPT14 View Post
    I also made my cells hit count atleast 50 otherwise your not getting good enough data. I see MAF is still registering, I unplugged the yellow signal wire from the harness to prevent signal. Your VVE table still looks like the rockies smoothing it out via tuning does help off line throttle response. In VCM scanner you can force closed loop tuning as well. I have a VVT1 in my truck and I had the same off line issue, now it spins the 37" mud tires a bit. It does take time and try to do it all in the same day too.
    From what i read, the MAF will still read, but will not be taken into account by the ecu for fueling purposes, i used 100 count and put a filter to take out tps>50%.
    Did you have to advance timing a lot on the lower rpm parts to get the power back or did it come back alone after you tuned SD?

After I tuned SD it came back, I did nothing to the tables. The only tables I altered were the VVT tables intake low med and hi baro. The only time I changed my timing tables was when I was done and looked for any knock, which I got around 1500-1800 rpm and just required 2 degrees of time to be removed.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RySmDPT14 View Post
    After I tuned SD it came back, I did nothing to the tables. The only tables I altered were the VVT tables intake low med and hi baro. The only time I changed my timing tables was when I was done and looked for any knock, which I got around 1500-1800 rpm and just required 2 degrees of time to be removed.
    Then i have to still work on the sd tune because with what i did alone isnt enough, i added 2 degrees from 1000 to 3000 and got a Bit of power back but still its not as fast as it should be, 410 whp should be enough to fry the tires at will and the way it is now it wont even heat the tires ar rhe track without having to resort to a line-lock, still got a personal best of 13.1 on 95* heat

keep on tuning, I also found out that i got better results when I adjusted the VVE table by hand after i applied my LTFT+STFT. When I did smooth selection or interpolate I found it skewed my table too much. I will also state that when I have TC on it will just barely bark the tires, fully off and its a whole other beast.

Advanced Tuner
    well after more tuning got the car to take off pretty good, VE tuning did make my drivability better and even the fuel consumption went down, took it to the dyno and ended up with pretty good numbers
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyjxbs929p...only.jpeg?dl=0

blue line is how the paid tuner left the car, red line is what i ended with after doing the VE, MAF, VVT and PE tables

Nice gains

Very nice, glad it all worked out for you. I had my truck on the dyno last week and only hit 360 tq and 354 HP at the wheels. The "tuner" couldn't even get any more power out of it, his adjustments decrease power and he finally gave up stating I did a better tune than he could do. My fuel LTFT were at 3% and AFR and WOT 12.3%.

Advanced Tuner
    seems like tuning vve and maf gets you some power, this car gained a up to 30whp in some parts, and another friends bolt on camaro got +10 whp from vve+maf tuning alone

Tuner in Training
    So just to get my hand back on track and double check myself on this VVE matter.
    With the following steps all inputs are welcome!

Step1- Logging graph for VVE/lambda error with breakpoints for rpm and load from vve table, also logging commanded lambda from same table points.

Step2- once ive logged a good amount off data from the error graph I'm copying error percentage from graph to the VVE table as per paste special%

Step 3- once I paste that data into the first table ex: open manifold I'm going to paste that same percentage error into ALL the following tables ex: closed manifold SO everything will stay pretty much same and smoothen either by the smoothen/interpolate options or manually!

Is this correct? Just making sure I understood that correctly thanks in advance gentleman!

Pretty close. After you get one VVE table how you want it, hit calculate coefficients. Then copy/paste that table in for the other 3 VVE tables and hit calculate coefficients on each one. It will change slightly when you hit calculate as it best fits the speed density coefficients to what you've requested.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Schpenxel!
    Forgot to mention those last little steps but appreciate the confirmation.. back to the lab lol...