Thread: Getting control of overboost through logging

Tuner in Training

Getting control of overboost through logging

Switching from another tuning tool to HPT, I'm trying to start from a stock tune. Because I have an upgraded wastegate I can't even do that without making some adjustments because the car will overboost.

I see a difference in the log between wastegate duty cycle and wastegate duty cycled desired, they track up until around 3900rpms, but I notice the throttle starts to close around 3100rpms? Why does wastegate pressure jump from 45 inHg to 90inHg at 3818 rpms?

Does the log indicate why the vehicle is overboosting? I wanted to ask for help before I just started tweaking different things, since this is my baseline that I'm trying to get established.

Thanks

10-08-16.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Bump

Can you provide some more information? From the log it looks like the car is a '16 Focus RS. What wastegate are you running (and what is its spring pressure), and what changes have you made to the tune to account for this wastegate?

And I'm not sure if that is your normal logging channel list, but its almost always a good idea to log the "sources" (Torque Source, Driver Demand Limit Source, Throttle Angle Source, Fuel Source, Spark Source), while trying to diagnose this it may also be helpful to log your TIP's (Throttle Inlet Pressure Desired and Actual).

Side note, is there a specific reason you changed out the wastegate in the first place?
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport - 3.5L EcoBoost
    2006 Ford F150 Lariat - 5.4L 3V (315,000 miles )

Tuner in Training
    Sure, it is a 2016 RS.

The car is being converted from a tuning device that I have no control over, to an HPT. The car is already modified, the wastegate spring/actuator is a little weak from the factory, so it's been upgraded. Basically it has all bolt ons. The 7psi factory gate is replaced with a 14psi Turbosmart gate.

I've loaded my stock tune to the car and had the HPT device download that, so that I can start from stock. I also don't have a normal logging list, as I'm starting at the ground level with the HPT and Ecoboost ecu.

I'm going to change my logging parameters to match these as recommended by the Ecoboost tuning guide.

PID List:
    Engine RPM
    Air Load
    Engine Coolant Temp
    Cylinder Head Temp
    Intake Air Temp (these is the temp at the airbox)
    Ambient Air Temp (SAE)
    Intake Air Temp 2 (this seems to be similar to Manifold Charge Temp)
    Trans Fluid Temp
    Throttle Inlet Pressure Desired
    Throttle Inlet Pressure Actual
    Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (SAE)
    Barometric Pressure
    Throttle Angle
    Commanded Throttle Actuator (SAE)
    Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 – make a custom MATH parameter, multiply this by 204.8 for AD counts
    Torque Source
    Driver Demand Limit Source
    Throttle Angle Source
    Desired Brake Torque
    Scheduled Torque
    Spark Source
    Fuel Source
    Timing Advance
    Knock Retard
    Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (SAE)
    Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 (SAE)
    Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 (SAE)

Just for reference, this is my channels list I use on my 3.5 V6 Ecoboost. You can load that up and just delete anything that has a broken chain link next to it. It also looks like you have 15 mapped points (I only have 6) so you should add those if its supported.

I am still running my stock wastegates, so I don't know EXACTLY what you will need to change to get these right, and don't see anything on the forums talking about it either. Unless someone else chimes in you may need to resort to trial and error. I would be careful though, I'm not sure what kind of boost those motors can take, but it looks like you peaked out our map sensor in that log so who knows how high the boost actually went. You may want to do some part throttle stuff until you start getting it dialed in closer to prevent a potentially dangerous overboost.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport - 3.5L EcoBoost
    2006 Ford F150 Lariat - 5.4L 3V (315,000 miles )

Tuner in Training
    Thanks.

I have race gas in it, so that limits the trouble I can get in, to a point.

I found a spring preload value under Engine-->Torque Management-->Turbocharger-->Wastegate

Stock is set to 9.5psi, so maybe if I set it to 14 or possibly 16.5 (spring pressure plus ~2.5psi), it will get itself under control and make the necessary changes automagically? I guess there is only one way to find out. I'll report once I get the opportunity to strap her back down to the dyno and make the HPT changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent_Petersen View Post
    Just for reference, this is my channels list I use on my 3.5 V6 Ecoboost. You can load that up and just delete anything that has a broken chain link next to it. It also looks like you have 15 mapped points (I only have 6) so you should add those if its supported.

I am still running my stock wastegates, so I don't know EXACTLY what you will need to change to get these right, and don't see anything on the forums talking about it either. Unless someone else chimes in you may need to resort to trial and error. I would be careful though, I'm not sure what kind of boost those motors can take, but it looks like you peaked out our map sensor in that log so who knows how high the boost actually went. You may want to do some part throttle stuff until you start getting it dialed in closer to prevent a potentially dangerous overboost.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gte View Post
    Thanks.

I have race gas in it, so that limits the trouble I can get in, to a point.

I found a spring preload value under Engine-->Torque Management-->Turbocharger-->Wastegate

Stock is set to 9.5psi, so maybe if I set it to 14 or possibly 16.5 (spring pressure plus ~2.5psi), it will get itself under control and make the necessary changes automagically? I guess there is only one way to find out. I'll report once I get the opportunity to strap her back down to the dyno and make the HPT changes.

Hi gte,

I was planning to change (with others) the IWG on my RS 2016 as well. Did the change on the spring preload value helps ? As far as I look this is the only parameter that need to be change for that mod.

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gte View Post
    Switching from another tuning tool to HPT, I'm trying to start from a stock tune. Because I have an upgraded wastegate I can't even do that without making some adjustments because the car will overboost.

I see a difference in the log between wastegate duty cycle and wastegate duty cycled desired, they track up until around 3900rpms, but I notice the throttle starts to close around 3100rpms? Why does wastegate pressure jump from 45 inHg to 90inHg at 3818 rpms?

Id need to see a few more channels. The closing throttle doesnt exactly mean you are over boositing. Many factors play into Ford tuning
    The Tuning School Ecoboost class explains alot

Does the log indicate why the vehicle is overboosting? I wanted to ask for help before I just started tweaking different things, since this is my baseline that I'm trying to get established.

Thanks

10-08-16.hpl
    The closing throttle doesnt indicate overboosting. Theres lots many tq management with Fords
    Theres a channel just to monitor overboosting. The Tuning School course gives you a great layout for Ecoboost and teaches tq management
    Last edited by dlgransion; 11-15-2016 at 09:00 PM.