Thread: Monitoring OBD data while recording

Potential Tuner

Monitoring OBD data while recording

Hello!

Is it possible to display data from the OBD port while recording?
    In particular, I would like to be able to monitor coolant temperatures next to the lap time recorder.

Thanks!

It's not presently possible to display OBD data while recording a session, but it is on the radar for the future... This is something that I'd like to have as well.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Weston!

Update: This will become possible in TrackAddict v3.4.2, which should be released within the next few days... I'll be doing final testing on Friday and then submitting this app update to Apple and Google before I leave for SEMA.

To set it up, you would go to "More Options" -> "Setup Dashboard Display", and then you'll be able to configure up to two data channels to monitor, along with being able to set warning levels. They'll be shown as horizontal bar graph displays at the top of the "Record" screen. If the current sensor reading triggers the warning level you had set, the bar will turn red and start flashing.

The available data channels for this will include OBD, GPS speed/altitude/accuracy, accelerometers (ie G-force), and probably anything else that we might add in the future too.

To get your OBD data channels to show up in the selection list, you'll need to have TrackAddict's OBD option enabled and your interface fully connected to the vehicle at the time. The list would then include the OBD channels that you had selected to capture, which you can change via "More Options" -> "Configure OBD Data Channels".

Tuner in Training
    anyway to overlay VCM scanner data onto a session in post production?

Quote Originally Posted by JST1970 View Post
    anyway to overlay VCM scanner data onto a session in post production?
    Yes, that can be done with our RaceRender desktop software...

1) In VCM Scanner, go to "Log File" -> "Export Log File" to create a .CSV file from your data, which can then be used in RaceRender.

2) Start RaceRender and set it up with your TrackAddict or other data/video as normal (if applicable)
    . a) If you don't have any TrackAddict or other primary data to use (besides the VCM Scanner data), then select "Data Overlay - Simple" from the New Project menu and add your video file, or just create a new blank project.

3) Add the .CSV file from VCM Scanner to your project (you can just drag & drop it onto the window, or use the "Add" button under "Input Files" on the main screen)
    . a) If this is the first data file in your project (ie no TrackAddict or other data), then you'll be offered a menu of standard data layouts to start with (speed, rpm, throttle, etc)

4) Create your desired displays for each data channel in the VCM Scanner data:
    . a) Click on the VCM Scanner input in the "Input Files" section so that it is highlighted
    . b) Click the "Add" button under "Display Objects" to create a new display object
    . . i) The "For Input File:" selection at the top should be the VCM Scanner input file; if not, change it to that
    . c) Click to choose your desired display type (ie Gauge, Bar Graph, Time Graph, Text Data, Enhanced, etc.)
    . d) Use the "Field" selection at the top to select the data channel (if using Text Data, do this in the properties box that appears on the right)
    . e) Click on your desired display style
    . f) Use the properties box on the right to customize the look or function of this display as you like

5) Use the Synchronization Tool on the VCM Scanner input to sync it's timing up with that of the rest of your project

Potential Tuner
    Thank you very much Weston! Much appreciated!!!

Potential Tuner
    I tried to display coolant temps on the screen while recording my lap time, but something is wrong.

When I click on the "Monitor" button in the setup screen, I get correct readings. But in the recording screen, it shows temps in the 600-700 range. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
    I tried to display coolant temps on the screen while recording my lap time, but something is wrong.

When I click on the "Monitor" button in the setup screen, I get correct readings. But in the recording screen, it shows temps in the 600-700 range. Any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
    It should show the same values on both the live monitor, and on the Record screen's bar graph when they are configured for the same OBD-II data channel... The first thing to double-check would be to connect your OBD, then go back into More Options -> Setup Dashboard Display, and ensure that it's set to the right data channel, but otherwise I've not seen that type of problem occur before.

If the problem persists, please let me know what type of phone you are using (ie iOS or Android) and which specific data channel you are trying to use, and I will try to replicate the issue here... Posting screen shots would be most helpful in this case.