Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBK 85 mm Coyote

Senior Tuner

BBK 85 mm Coyote

Does anyone have the actual data for a BBK 85 mm throttle body? Just tuned a Boss Manifold, JLT intake, off road X pipe 5.0 with BBK 85 mm throttle body and I didn't even mess with the throttle body settings and the usual JLT intake MAF curve I use seemed to work fine but the car is not going fully into OP mode.

Is this because my throttle body settings are wrong? I'm using all the same VCT settings that I haven't had an issue getting to stay in OP mode on other setups.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Does anyone have the actual data for a BBK 85 mm throttle body? Just tuned a Boss Manifold, JLT intake, off road X pipe 5.0 with BBK 85 mm throttle body and I didn't even mess with the throttle body settings and the usual JLT intake MAF curve I use seemed to work fine but the car is not going fully into OP mode.

Is this because my throttle body settings are wrong? I'm using all the same VCT settings that I haven't had an issue getting to stay in OP mode on other setups.
    Have the owner put the stock TB back on and throw that thing in the trash. Waste of time and effort.

Second, log your MAF period vs. LTFT and see if your fuel trims are off. What are you seeing for load?

Senior Tuner
    Rev2.hpl

That is with untouched MAF scaling from a different JLT car. Needs a little added but was very close. I didn't mess with it because I already planned on having the owner put the stock throttle body back on if I couldn't find good throttle body data. I added a little fuel and kept timing low just to get a good driving base map on the car for now.

Thanks for your help. The car goes 100% OP but falls out of it at about 4500 RPM without dropping load. I did realize that I accidentally copied fuel settings from a tune with flex fuel enabled but I've never had an issue before with flex fuel being enabled and falling out of OP mode.

wbt is right the bbk are junk
    although I have some data for an 85mm that's works half way decent
    give me a few and I will get it up

Senior Tuner
    So would throttle body tuning being off cause the issue with OP not having full weight at WOT like I would expect to see or did I possibly copy something over wrong when creating my base map?

I'll try to get the owner to put stock throttle body back on. If he insists on a throttle body I'm guessing the Ford Racing one that I could get good data for would be the way to go?

So would throttle body tuning being off cause the issue with OP not having full weight at WOT like I would expect to see or did I possibly copy something over wrong when creating my base map?

I'll try to get the owner to put stock throttle body back on. If he insists on a throttle body I'm guessing the Ford Racing one that I could get good data for would be the way to go?
    I have not seen throttle body data keep a car out of op mode, it would affect driveability I would assume.
    there has to be something else not allowing it to go in.
    post your file if you don't mind

Senior Tuner
    Rev2.hpt

Flex fuel was enabled by mistake. I turned it off in the next revision and am going to try to get the owner to put the stock throttle body back on the car before I mess with it more. I can compare to see if I missed an axis or something when copying things over but I honestly don't know what exactly causes it to fully weight OP mode even.

Rev2.hpt

Flex fuel was enabled by mistake. I turned it off in the next revision and am going to try to get the owner to put the stock throttle body back on the car before I mess with it more. I can compare to see if I missed an axis or something when copying things over but I honestly don't know what exactly causes it to fully weight OP mode even.
    with the data I will post I have had success with the 85mm, you can give it a shot and see if works for you. give me a few ill look at yours and post that data here

Senior Tuner
    Cool. Thanks. I will give it a try before recommending he switch back to stock. The car drove surprisingly well on stock throttle body settings and didn't surge or anything. Hopefully the throttle body settings are causing my issue with falling out of OP mode though.

BBK 85MM Ford TB data.xlsx

Here is the 85mm data i have

Senior Tuner
    Thanks. After looking and seeing that you didn't really have to mess with WOT I'm thinking I have something else going on keeping the car from staying fully in OP mode.

Thanks. After looking and seeing that you didn't really have to mess with WOT I'm thinking I have something else going on keeping the car from staying fully in OP mode.
    check pm

Advanced Tuner
    Why do people say that the BBK is junk? Doesnt it use Ford hardware?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    Why do people say that the BBK is junk? Doesnt it use Ford hardware?
    They could be referring to the gains, or lack of gains worth the hassle.

Advanced Tuner
    Perhaps. I have a 90, and somehow got it and the adapter for $300. Tune was not too bad to do and it drives like stock. Well worth it for the money.

It's not a bbk; but I was curious why I keep reading that its garbage. Bigger hole = more air.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    Perhaps. I have a 90, and somehow got it and the adapter for $300. Tune was not too bad to do and it drives like stock. Well worth it for the money.

It's not a bbk; but I was curious why I keep reading that its garbage. Bigger hole = more air.
    Considering others have made 1k HP through the stock tb, on a NA stock cam 11-14, the restrictions are primarily on the exhaust side of the motor, not the intake.

My own car has been 6.75@100 in the 1/8th with the stock intake manifold, TB and injectors, stock long block.

Larger TB's are a waste on a stock long block N/A motor and not worth the effort unless you just want something to do.

Senior Tuner
    The person I was referring to had no problem with it when I told him go ahead and put stock throttle body back on and sell the BBK and that I would get it running better with stock. Got a text very shortly after saying he put the stock back on.

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    Considering others have made 1k HP through the stock tb, on a NA stock cam 11-14, the restrictions are primarily on the exhaust side of the motor, not the intake.

My own car has been 6.75@100 in the 1/8th with the stock intake manifold, TB and injectors, stock long block.

Larger TB's are a waste on a stock long block N/A motor and not worth the effort unless you just want something to do.
    I don't think this is true wbt. I put the cobra jet intake manifold and TB on my NA coyote and I have both timeslips and data logs to prove it was worth it. My car picked up .35 in the 1/8th mile. And my load went from a max of about .98 to about 1.08. So I'm definitely getting higher load and power.

My first day at the track with the mods I had multiple people who saw my car every week come up to me asking what I did to the car to wake it up.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dbb2797 View Post
    I don't think this is true wbt. I put the cobra jet intake manifold and TB on my NA coyote and I have both timeslips and data logs to prove it was worth it. My car picked up .35 in the 1/8th mile. And my load went from a max of about .98 to about 1.08. So I'm definitely getting higher load and power.

My first day at the track with the mods I had multiple people who saw my car every week come up to me asking what I did to the car to wake it up.
    I have been working on and running various combos on my car for several years. I can without a doubt, with supporting data, say that when I ran the CJ setup on my car with the large FRPP TB and FRPP CAI, there were exactly 0 gains over my Boss intake with stock TB and Airaid CAI. I collected data for 8 months for each combo, no other changes to the car.

That said, there is ~.15 gain between the stock mainfold and Boss/CJ setups. This is due to being able to sustain peak power for ~1K RPM at the top.

I have put as many if not more of these cars in the 10's N/A, stock long block, as others. None of those have anything CJ on them. The largest restriction is on the exhaust side of these motors N/A.

/off my soap box.....

What times does your car run?

Quote Originally Posted by wbt View Post
    I have been working on and running various combos on my car for several years. I can without a doubt, with supporting data, say that when I ran the CJ setup on my car with the large FRPP TB and FRPP CAI, there were exactly 0 gains over my Boss intake with stock TB and Airaid CAI. I collected data for 8 months for each combo, no other changes to the car.

That said, there is ~.15 gain between the stock mainfold and Boss/CJ setups. This is due to being able to sustain peak power for ~1K RPM at the top.

I have put as many if not more of these cars in the 10's N/A, stock long block, as others. None of those have anything CJ on them. The largest restriction is on the exhaust side of these motors N/A.

/off my soap box.....

What times does your car run?
    My 1/8th mile times are a 1.55 60 ft, 7.17 1/8th at 95.36 MPH. I don't have a clean 1/4 mile yet because I've been working through a shifting issue in 4th gear, but based on my 1000 ft it should be 11.teens once I get it resolved.