Thread: Hp Tuners on a Tablet?

Potential Tuner

Hp Tuners on a Tablet?

Has anyone put Hptuners on a tablet? I would like to have a mount in the car that would hold a tablet instead of the laptop in the passenger seat, besides my laptop only lasts for about an 1.5 hours running the scanner.

Tuner in Training
    I have tested it on my surface 3 and seemed to work well, would probably be an ideal device to data log with and dial-in tunes on the laptop sure there has to be some cheaper options out there.

No reason you can't. GMTech leaves his in the car 100% of the time, others tune on tablets all the time.. no reason it won't work
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

It will work as long as it is a windows tablet. I use this tablet for datalogging and small tune adjustments.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Jumpe...ck-365510.html

It works great. Battery life is good so far, usually get 4-6 hours out of it.

Tuner in Training
    I use a Dell Inspiron tablet/laptop running windows 10 on a floor mount, in car 100% of time for logging and tuning. I also run a floating power supply (= no ground loops) for unlimited logging time. IMG_5847.JPG (I have a previous post on the floating power supply.)
    - Ken

2014 Chevy SS, LS3 6.2L, auto, Whipple Supercharged, 8 psi on 91 octane.

Tuner in Training
    I picked one of these up the other day, just cause it was cheap and in store and I like gadgets...the OTG cable with it runs perfect with Hp Tuners so far and this one has HDMI out so you can hook it up to a big monitor...

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ctID.608755100

Just a thought if anyone runs through this thread later, pretty sure this is a generic 8" tablet microsoft just adopted to get people in store so I have seen plenty of them out there. Just make sure it can support OTG as I have only found 2-3 tablets that have full USB ports on them, OTG support will allow you to connect peripherals through a cable that converts micro-usb to standard usb.

I use an RCA Cambio..Yes, RCA. $129
    It charges from the micro USB connector plugged into the cigarette lighter and also has a Type A (Full size) USB going to the scanner.
    Koomis mount plugged into the CD slot

Potential Tuner
    has anyone tried with a nexus 7 tablet?
    just curious on that specific one being I can mount it on my dash and it would be awesome to be able to datalog with it
    link below is the mount im talking about if anyone is curious

https://store.audiodesignscg.com/pro...tang-dash-kit/

Quote Originally Posted by j_verrett5.0h View Post
    has anyone tried with a nexus 7 tablet?
    just curious on that specific one being I can mount it on my dash and it would be awesome to be able to datalog with it
    link below is the mount im talking about if anyone is curious

https://store.audiodesignscg.com/pro...tang-dash-kit/
    A nexus will not work. You must use a tablet that runs Windows 7,8, or 10. You might find a windows tablet that will fit in that mount however.

Advanced Tuner
    Levono Yoga 2 11 here! Windows 8.1 also.

Potential Tuner
    okay thanks. Im goin to get the rca 10.1" windows tablet and fab up mu own mount
    thanks for the info guys

Tuner in Training
    Kinda a old thread but trying to do this on my next book ares tablet. Ive down loaded the drivers and 3.6. Yet still tells me cant open the file, am i doing something wrong?

Can't open what file exactly?

If you're talking about this tablet, it's ANDROID and not going to work: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-...-Core/43267399

Advanced Tuner
    Reviving this thread because I just tested out a Fusion5 tablet and it works with HP tuners.
    https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Fusio...gateway&sr=8-3

It's slow to load but is a heck of a lot easier to use in the car than my HP elite workstation. Just make sure you switch from Windows 10 S OS to Windows 10 Home.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by j_verrett5.0h View Post
    okay thanks. Im goin to get the rca 10.1" windows tablet and fab up mu own mount
    thanks for the info guys
    Did you ever fab up that mount? Curious what your setup looks like.

Potential Tuner
    i no0w this is an old thread, but i new to LS and Tuning at all.. thinking forward to running one in my set up.. anyone have one showing pics of the set up?
    thanks in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting thread. I too want to charge my laptop while on the road because I can't get enough batt life out of it.

I have a tablet with longer batt life but it won't work with HP Tuners. Since there is a variety of ways they won't work, I fear spending more $ for another paperweight. Data transfer is another concern so I'd MUCH prefer to keep using my laptop since I can do more with it and be substantially faster doing it.

I read about the ground loop issue destroying the dongle. If I knew why it's happening I could fix it, plus I'm super curious as to why. I would've "assumed" ground loops can't get past the laptops power supply. It has filters and a transformer which I would assume is isolated because why wouldn't it be? Or maybe the loop only happens on certain laptop/charger/inverter combinations which would be way too much work to check so they just say it's not safe period. Like parents saying "because I said so" which translates to I don't know or don't want to explain, which ironically means I'll do it to find out. In this case that could be expensive with a lot of down time so I don't want to trail and error this one.

I'm also not sure how a ground loop would bother the dongle... Where exactly is this ground loop? Is it the neg OBD terminal or flowing through one/some of the other pins? And what exactly about this kills the dongle? Could a diode or choke in the right place solve this? If the issue is in the neg or pos OBD wires then if I cut one/both will the dongle still work via laptop power? It appears to be working via the USB port but unsure if it's completely operational or just the part that makes you beg HP to use it?
    That begging part annoys the crap outta me btw. $700 and I have to beg every time I use it. I don't always have internet so that's a problem. Why can't the dongle simply be cleared to do whatever you want with the car you paid tokens for? From what I understand the dongle already knows my car is paid for, so wth? I can't even open the Editor without permission, which means dragging the dongle with me.

While I'm here: What is up with the forum timing me out every few minutes? Eg; when I go to post this I will have been timed out and have to log in yet again. Can't it stay logged in for a realistic amount of time? I just don't understand... I saw no setting anywhere to change it.

wolfy692005: Running a charger for a laptop or using a tablet? Or HP Tuners period?
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909