Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Crank Relearn "How to Video"

Advanced Tuner

Coyote Crank Relearn "How to Video"

Hey guys,

I remember someone asking how the crank relearn process works. Well I recently had the clutch swapped on my mustang and decided to make a video of the process for reference. It is as simple as the process sounds and takes less than a minute to complete.

You won't know you need to do the process until you actually try to rev past 4k rpm, the check engine light will flash and it will misfire a ton. When the car was started it drove fine with no CEL until after the first attempt to rev past 4k.

Last edited by Jn2; 10-26-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    Hey guys,

I remember someone asking how the crank relearn process works. Well I recently had the clutch swapped on my mustang and decided to make a video of the process for reference. It is as simple as the process sounds and takes less than a minute to complete.

You won't know you need to do the process until you actually try to rev past 4k rpm, the check engine light will flash and it will misfire a ton. When the car was started it drove fine with no CEL until after the first attempt to rev past 4k.

I have one now that runs like a top that had a clutch put in. but threw the typical misfire codes. still runs great. gotta do the crank relearn next week

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rshoe09 View Post
    I have one now that runs like a top that had a clutch put in. but threw the typical misfire codes. still runs great. gotta do the crank relearn next week
    Mine drove fine below 4k rpm with not CEL, when it would rev up past 4k it the Cel would flash, after a minute it would stop flashing and no CEL on the dash. After about 6 miles the misfire CEL set all the time, that is when I did the crank relearn. Fixed it immediately, no more misfiring up top.

Advanced Tuner
    Having read a few other posts about someone having an issue with the relearn, it is my understanding that you don't do the relearn unless you have the CEL show up. Is that correct?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    Having read a few other posts about someone having an issue with the relearn, it is my understanding that you don't do the relearn unless you have the CEL show up. Is that correct?
    So here is how I did mine(influenced by the same thread you saw)

- Clutch was swapped
    - While cruising I drove slightly past 4k and felt the car misfire like crazy and the CEL was flashing, I let off and the CEL kept flashing for another 15 or so seconds. It eventually stopped flashing and the CEL was off
    - Tested again, and CEL flashed once more under same circumstances
    - After about 50-60 miles a steady CEL came up, forgot the code, maybe P0300 or which ever the misfire one was, along with cylinder 5,6,7,8 misfires.

After the CEL was on all the time I started the relearn process seen in the video(that was my first and only attempt and it worked)
    -

Advanced Tuner
    So here is how I did mine(influenced by the same thread you saw)

- Clutch was swapped
    - While cruising I drove slightly past 4k and felt the car misfire like crazy and the CEL was flashing, I let off and the CEL kept flashing for another 15 or so seconds. It eventually stopped flashing and the CEL was off
    - Tested again, and CEL flashed once more under same circumstances
    - After about 50-60 miles a steady CEL came up, forgot the code, maybe P0300 or which ever the misfire one was, along with cylinder 5,6,7,8 misfires.

After the CEL was on all the time I started the relearn process seen in the video(that was my first and only attempt and it worked)
    -
    I will be doing an engine upgrade soon. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the video

Tuner
    Quick question about my flywheel swap:
    Do I need to do the crank relearn anytime I swap the flywheel
    or
    Only if the CEL comes on, else not needed?

I don't want to do a relearn if not necessary

Tuner
    Mine threw the code, so I need to do a relearn but it won't take.

After I hit "OK" and wait a little it comes back and says the function timed out. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Plimmer View Post
    Quick question about my flywheel swap:
    Do I need to do the crank relearn anytime I swap the flywheel
    or
    Only if the CEL comes on, else not needed?

I don't want to do a relearn if not necessary
    Only do it if you need the relearn(misfires will occur and eventually throw the code). Don't try it unless you have the code. I just ran into a GT500 that did one when it didn't have the code and the P0315 code popped up after and it would not go away no matter what he did. Tried to refresh the ECM, pull battery cable, refresh a tune, nothing worked.

Only do it if you need the relearn(misfires will occur and eventually throw the code). Don't try it unless you have the code. I just ran into a GT500 that did one when it didn't have the code and the P0315 code popped up after and it would not go away no matter what he did. Tried to refresh the ECM, pull battery cable, refresh a tune, nothing worked.
    Juan, what did you end up with? Have exactly the same shit right here. Changed the clutch and did a re-learn. Everything works good but the code won't go away.
    Tried with nGauge but to no avail - it says to rev and return to IDLE but it never returns to idle according to nGauge and procedure starts over and over again.

HP scanner says the re-learn was successful but the code won't go away. It's waiting for confirmation which I clicked.

Frustrating...

Non stock tune with few mods. IMRC removed and TPMS not present - wonder if any DTC can disturb this process?
    Last edited by veeefour; 12-15-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Juan, what did you end up with? Have exactly the same shit right here. Changed the clutch and did a re-learn. Everything works good but the code won't go away.
    Tried with nGauge but to no avail - it says to rev and return to IDLE but it never returns to idle according to nGauge and procedure starts over and over again.

HP scanner says the re-learn was successful but the code won't go away. It's waiting for confirmation which I clicked.

Frustrating...

Non stock tune with few mods. IMRC removed and TPMS not present - wonder if any DTC can disturb this process?

This is exactly what I'm seeing on my 2014 GT500. I can go through the relearn procedure, says crank relearn successful, but still has CEL for crank not learned. First time I had to relearn I had to do it with SCT, worked fine, no issue, CEL was gone, no dtc.

Talked to HPT about the crank relearn not working, they had an update, still won't relearn, but now even SCT won't relearn. So I am riding around with CEL on, dtc for crank not learned, runs great though. Not sure what's going on, since HPT says crank relearn successful, and it runs good, but not sure why CEL and dtc for crank relearn is still on.

From reading on here, seems to only be a GT500 problem, is this what y'all are seeing?

"No error reported" for this DTC is my temporary fix, FTW. Car runs great, 2h log and ZERO misfires detected.

I did a bunch in the past but this is the first time I have problems with this - had to do this as car was misfiring all over the place after clutch upgrade.

Advanced Tuner
    "No error reported" for this DTC is my temporary fix, FTW. Car runs great, 2h log and ZERO misfires detected.

I did a bunch in the past but this is the first time I have problems with this - had to do this as car was misfiring all over the place after clutch upgrade.
    Are you saying that changing the dtc to no error reported fixed your misfires?

No, re-learn was successful(no misfires anymore) but the DTC remains - switched that DTC off and problem solved. Not sure what is going on with this procedure.

Advanced Tuner
    No, re-learn was successful(no misfires anymore) but the DTC remains - switched that DTC off and problem solved. Not sure what is going on with this procedure.
    Oh, ok, sounds exactly like what mines doing. First time I did a relearn w SCT. Built the motor, then wanted to do it again, since motor was out, HPT says relearn successful, but dtc & CEL remains, and car runs good. Maybe they'll get it figured out sometime along.

Is the car you're having trouble with also a GT500?

Advanced Tuner
    If you do a re-learn before the re-learn code pops up you may end up with a permanent unclreable re-learn code. Even if a re-learn is successfully, you will have a code that never goes away, in that situation set it to no error reported, if it's a 18+ also take off the check mark

I had misfire codes popping out like crazy - this is why I decided to do a re-learn. I'm afraid disabling the code is the only way.

Advanced Tuner
    I had misfire codes popping out like crazy - this is why I decided to do a re-learn. I'm afraid disabling the code is the only way.
    See if a SCT will relearn it. It did on mine, before HPT tried fixing the issue, now it won't.