Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/f ratio

A/f ratio

The more I read on di engines, they seem to be able to run a much leaner a/f ratio than non di engines. What's a safe lambda to tune these engines?

Tuner in Training
    Are you talking N/A or forced induction?

I've seen a lot of dyno sheets for EB 3.5s running about 12:1 or 0.85 lambda (with the factory stoich at 14.08)

I run my LNF (GM's 2.0L GTDI) at 0.85 and others have gotten max power with that engine at 0.85 or even slightly leaner. I tested my SHO's engine at 0.79, 0.82, and 0.85 and found 0.85 to run very well without taxing the fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by ptharris View Post
    Are you talking N/A or forced induction?
    Forced induction....ecoboost.

Quote Originally Posted by 02reaper View Post
    Forced induction....ecoboost.
    Such detail.

Perhaps you should say what ecoboost seeing how they have like 10 of them out now. Each engine and application could be different for what fuel ratio works the best.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Such detail.

Perhaps you should say what ecoboost seeing how they have like 10 of them out now. Each engine and application could be different for what fuel ratio works the best.
    Being that this is the ecoboost specific section, I figured that was pretty much a given. It's a 2016 f150 3.5 ecoboost engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 02reaper View Post
    Being that this is the ecoboost specific section, I figured that was pretty much a given. It's a 2016 f150 3.5 ecoboost engine.
    Better detail.

Remember you asked for help.

Most around here are not interested in helping if you don't help us help you.

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    Better detail.

Remember you asked for help.

Most around here are not interested in helping if you don't help us help you.
    I understand. I would post my file, but it doesn't seem that people want to post them with the vin number. Is there anyway I can post it without sharing that information?

I'm not sure why posting the VIN number would matter, they are basically public knowledge to anyone. I could walk up to any vehicle on the street and write one down.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'm not sure why posting the VIN number would matter, they are basically public knowledge to anyone. I could walk up to any vehicle on the street and write one down.
    If I was tuning my vehicles I wouldn't want Ford to find my VIN on a tuning site and use it as evidence to void my extended power terrain warranty.
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport - 3.5L EcoBoost
    2006 Ford F150 Lariat - 5.4L 3V (315,000 miles )

Senior Tuner
    You think they wouldn't be able to tell anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    You think they wouldn't be able to tell anyways?
    From what I've seen online, yes they can send the PCM off for analysis and determine. That's why the best bet is to leave your car completely stock while under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent_Petersen View Post
    From what I've seen online, yes they can send the PCM off for analysis and determine. That's why the best bet is to leave your car completely stock while under warranty.
    I've posted my log and the tune files in the review my logs thread if anyone would like to point me in the right direction with my tune. Thanks

I love how no one else even bothered to answer the OP's question.

I love lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I love how no one else even bothered to answer the OP's question.
    You noticed too? I was told not to post my tune file, but I did anyway in hopes that the person telling me not to was wrong. I see now that my tune file has been downloaded 4 times with not one reply to help, as in this thread. Thank you Metroplex for your threads to help the community. Ive had to go back through them several times when I run into a issue.

Sorry, I looked in the OP of this thread for the logs and tunes and didn't realize that you just started a new thread with your logs and tune. As far as AFR, I personally am running ~0.825λ @ ~15 psi

Here is a link for everyone else. Thread: Review my log

I'll have some time today to look at the files. When I tested my SHO, I didn't find any benefit to going to 0.76, 0.79, or 0.80 as it wouldn't really reduce knock retard. It would however, tax the fuel system (lower fuel pressure) at higher boost. I think it was dipping into the 1800 psi range or lower when I ran 0.79 at WOT with 18 psi. I'm running 0.85 lambda now with 18 psi and the pressure doesn't drop below 2000 psi at WOT and I didn't even touch the fuel pump settings.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I'll have some time today to look at the files. When I tested my SHO, I didn't find any benefit to going to 0.76, 0.79, or 0.80 as it wouldn't really reduce knock retard. It would however, tax the fuel system (lower fuel pressure) at higher boost. I think it was dipping into the 1800 psi range or lower when I ran 0.79 at WOT with 18 psi. I'm running 0.85 lambda now with 18 psi and the pressure doesn't drop below 2000 psi at WOT and I didn't even touch the fuel pump settings.
    Right now I am running the stock lambda settings with a maximum of 16.5 psi of boost. Im showing some limiters with a insufficient fuel flow limit, but its not affecting lambda any, just the fuel rail pressure about 100 psi or so. Thanks for looking at it.

I can't access the log/tune files right now, but what was your fuel pressure at WOT? Is it hovering near 2000-2300+ psi? I've seen other EcoBoost engines that would get the insufficient fuel flow limit error but their fuel pressure was still looking good. I know my SHO would throw that error with too rich of a lambda at WOT. My commanded WOT lambda is 0.85, but the actual lambda drops down to 0.80 at above 5000 RPM for some reason and I still haven't found a solution.