Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Trim Tables

Woohoo

MAF/VE still need to be tuned I'm sure, I just wanted to get it started.. now you can start tuning it

I would start by lowering the MAF and both of those VE tables by say 20% just to get it a little closer

Tuner in Training
    haha now youre gunna feed me to the wolves I see I see...just kidding. you have been a huge help. Thank you very much.

No problem, I'm just glad it was something easy in the end.

Tuner in Training
    Looks like getting it running was just the beginning of my problems...I tried to do the CASE relearn procedure and it hasnt worked yet. Ive tried with HPTuners and my Snap-On scanner. The snap on scanner says malfunction conditions not met. The HPTuners doesnt really say anything when I click it. It does do the fuel cut off around 4,000rpms but ive done it several times and it still comes up with the DTC for CASE relearn and throws the light on. I also have a bunch of unrelated codes that i didnt have with the old ECU.
    The procedure I am following goes as follows:
    Foot on brakes (i dont think its wired to the ecu to be honest, so problem #1)
    Start car
    Hook up scanner (HPtuners or snap on)
    Hit CASE relearn function (HPTuners says to rev the engine slowly and let off, snapon says conditions not met)
    Rev engine to fuel cutoff over approx 4 seconds (HPtuners only, snap on wont get this far)
    Let engine return to idle
    Turn off for 15seconds
    Restart car
    Check for DTC (which CASE relearn is always the first DTC to pop up)

So i think i have two problems currently
    I do not believe the brake pedal is hooked up to the ECU
    The ECU believes it is always in Gear, this was also the case with the previous ECU.

The codes that are coming up are as follows:
    P0036 O2 HEATER BANK 1 SENSOR 2 - car does not have back O2 sensors, i have this unchecked on HPtuners
    P0056 O2 HEATER BANK 2 SENSOR 2
    P0315 CRANKSHAFT POSITION SYSTEM VARIATION NOT LEARNED - the evil bastard
    P0443 EVAPORATIVE EMISSION PURGE SOLENOID - doesnt have any of this
    P0449 EVAPORATIVE EMISSION VENT SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT - no got
    P0452 FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE - not hooked up
    P0463 FUEL LEVEL SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH VOLTAGE - not hooked up
    P0532 AIR CONDITIONING REFRIGERANT PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE - not hooked up
    P0622 GENERATOR F TERMINAL CIRCUIT - as far as i know the ecu is not wired to the alternator
    P0645 AIR CONDITIONING CLUTCH RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT - as far as i know the ecu is not hooked up to the a/c

Most of these codes are unchecked in HPTuners. I assumed that meant they wouldnt even post but apparently it just prevents them from turning on the MIL.

Just to clarify, this is a transplant in a 1957 Chevy, thats why a lot of this stuff isnt hooked up or isnt there. I didnt do the transplant, im trying to fix the transplant...

Now for the REALLY bad news, i took it for a spin around the block. it feels like it has no power. very sluggish, almost slipping transmission sluggish. i got back to the shop ASAP. Could it be in Limp in mode? Could the tune be that far off?
    Know what this thing needs? A carb and a distributor ha! Kidding.

Just for fun here is the current tune and the data log from the around the block trip
    RECTune-20%.hpt
    rectune round block.hpl

Set the codes to no error reported. Unchecking the SES box turns the light off but the codes will still be there. So, switch all of the ones that need to be disabled to no error reported and that should take care of a lot of the ones you listed out that don't really apply to a build like this.

Tune does need some work, you can see fuel trims all over the place

Transmission wise.. that one someone else will have to answer. I'm not that knowledge on autos unfortunately

Tuner in Training
    I've done a lot of research tonight. First thing in the morning I am going to see what the ecu is seeing in the way for brake signal and transmission position. So step one is get the case relearn procedure done. One thing I noticed is speed was not logged when I drove around the block so the ecm must not be seeing the speed signal. Something else to check on. I'll keep this all updated in case someone else happens to have the same issues

Tuner in Training
    Still haven't been able to do a CASE relearn. The I've gone as far as to cut the wire for the brake signal and it still reads released. The pnp pin is receiving a ground signal in park and neutral which from what I read is correct but the ecm still reads IN GEAR. I've disabled all the DTCs that are noise and am left with just the p0315 case relearn. I did a log file cold start up to op temp with some acceleration in park. Ltft is at -25 and stft is in the negatives too. This is after taking 20% out of it. It also threw bank 1 and 2 rich codes in that run. I haven't messed with the tables anymore because I want to get this case relearn figured out. I've seen similar threads but it doesn't seem like anyone gets it figured out...anyone have ideas?

I got nothin on the CASE relearn

Feel free to pull another 20% out of VE and MAF if it's needed. I didn't think 20% would be enough but was hoping to just get it closer to the ballpark

Tuner in Training
    I wonder what the consequence of not doing the case relearn is.

Banned
    limp mode

best regards

Tuner in Training
    Quick question. Why is the VE table on the LS3 tune I am working off of all 0s and the car still functions properly

I'd have to see it

I'm assuming it's set to run in MAF only, but I've seen even that not really be enough

I'd be surprised if fueling is correct during transients

Tuner in Training
    John Minter 1968 Camaro LS3 Stock Tune + 750 idle + more idle air.hpt

This is the tune I am basing off of. It is a GMPP tune with minor changes for higher idle.

VE isn't 0 on that tune

Go to edit-->virtual VE and you'll see the VE tables
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Ah! My bad.

Tuner in Training
    11102016 3.hpl
    RECTune-VE Tune 11 10 2016 v2 maf fail.hpt

for your viewing pleasure. This is the latest and greatest log and tune. right now I have the MAF set to fail while I tune the VE Table. The only thing I don't get is when I look at other peoples VE Tables in a 3D form they have smooth hills. Mine has random peaks and valleys, almost like a bed of nails. But I am excited to have gotten this far and have a lot of the LTFT/STFT in the single digits. Still have some work to do.

Are you copy/pasting special %? That usually gives a bunch of little peaks and valleys.

Yeah that VE table looks pretty rough. Time for a lot of smoothing for starters. I'd just select the whole thing and smooth it 2-3x

It's best (IMO anyways) to take trends you should be able to see when logging and apply them across as many areas as you can. Also smooth things out if they don't end up smooth. It's not unusual when street tuning to have some cells you hit and get good data in then sometimes a cell right beside of that you might not get any (or enough) data for. If you just copy/paste then you end up missing that cell you didn't get any data for, even though if you looked at the data in detail it's usually pretty clear how that cell needed to be changed. That's part of how VE tables end up looking like that.

Hopefully that makes sense

It should really be shaped like a torque curve looks for a given MAP. Starting low, peaking around peak torque, then dropping back off some at higher RPM's

Tuner in Training
    I've been logging around town trips just like the log I posted and taking the average off the VE vs fuel trim table and multiplying the be table by those differences. Right click, copy, multiply by %. I've done the data logging and changing of tables 3 times this represents the 3rd data log and I changed the VE TABLE with this data but I have not driven the car again. I've been really happy with the results thus far.

Question for the smoothing. I did a smoothing pass on the VE table and it looked like it raised some values and lowered others. It would seem to me lowering values would be counter productive. But I am new at this. Should I instead use the graph and drag the values to match a smooth curve?

Once I get the VE table nice looking I will move on to the MAF table. Is this the proper procedure?

Pretty much, VE then MAF. Yeah smoothing will usually take some up and some down, it's fine