Thread: Ethanol sensor content changing during WOT affect AFR's?

Ethanol sensor content changing during WOT affect AFR's?

I am working on solving my issue of AFR's swinging out of my range of comfort during WOT. One thing that I did notice in my data log is that for some reason my ethanol sensor will sometimes get false readings during WOT. Will that have any affect on injector pulse width during a pull? Key on engine off the sensor is reading a stable 76-77 alcohol content. Under WOT I have seen it bounce to 60's, 50's, hell 39 lol.

It's a real sensor right and not the virtual sensor that is useless.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It's a real sensor right and not the virtual sensor that is useless.
    It has the actual sensor wired in.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93 View Post
    It has the actual sensor wired in.
    Is it in the supply or return line?

Yeah something's not right then. I've seen when there's no fuel going through them the readings change sometimes

Where is located?
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Its in the return line right off the rail.

Any possibility you're running out of fuel?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93 View Post
    Its in the return line right off the rail.
    That's the problem right there. As demand for fuel goes up you will start having vapor in the return line along with the liquid fuel and your reading will be off. There are a couple ways to skin that cat, but running the sensor in the supply line is usually the best idea, if it works for your car.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by realsquash View Post
    That's the problem right there. As demand for fuel goes up you will start having vapor in the return line along with the liquid fuel and your reading will be off. There are a couple ways to skin that cat, but running the sensor in the supply line is usually the best idea, if it works for your car.
    What other recommendations do you have if the return line is the only option? Restrictor of some sort or just better supply? What if you've got a dual pump kick In fuel feed setup - would you still have the aeration and drop out? Just wondering in case sensor moving isn't an option...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    What other recommendations do you have if the return line is the only option? Restrictor of some sort or just better supply? What if you've got a dual pump kick In fuel feed setup - would you still have the aeration and drop out? Just wondering in case sensor moving isn't an option...
    As long as the pump(s) aren't cavitating you won't see a problem with vapor on the supply side. The return side is a tough one because the regulator itself introduces a lot of vapor, and if you don't have a completely filled line/sensor the reading is way off. You can put a restriction in the return side, like a very light (but high flow) check valve to try to help keep the return line at least full. The problem with that is if you restrict it too much the pressure regulator can't do its job and you get weird pressure fluctuations as demand changes, secondary pumps come on, etc.

Why isn't the supply side an option? It's the only correct place to put the sensor IMHO. If the sensor causes a restriction on the supply side that can be dealt with.

Yeah, can't be that big of a deal to add it to the supply side if needed. And the sensors flow quite a lot.. you'd have to be in the 1000rwhp'ish range for it to possibly be a restriction, and you can always Y the feed line, run sensor through one side

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

I never put them in the return line anymore due to this problem. The last car I had a sensor in the return line I set the volume delay to something like 0.1gal or more so that the content stays locked even if the sensor fluctuates. This gives you somewhat of a buffer but makes the sensor less responsive at the same time to actual ethanol content changes.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

That's a good idea on changing the delay volume, assuming you aren't making 1 mile pulls or something

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by realsquash View Post
    As long as the pump(s) aren't cavitating you won't see a problem with vapor on the supply side. The return side is a tough one because the regulator itself introduces a lot of vapor, and if you don't have a completely filled line/sensor the reading is way off. You can put a restriction in the return side, like a very light (but high flow) check valve to try to help keep the return line at least full. The problem with that is if you restrict it too much the pressure regulator can't do its job and you get weird pressure fluctuations as demand changes, secondary pumps come on, etc.

Why isn't the supply side an option? It's the only correct place to put the sensor IMHO. If the sensor causes a restriction on the supply side that can be dealt with.
    I agree - I just wanted to know if there was a "work around" for when one might come in the shop in the future like this and now I know there is

This is the way I was fixing to install one - still technically on the supply side, but no risk of starving fuel before the injectors... And if this is who I'm thinking of - yes your AN fittings are larger in diameter internally than the said other main competitor - in fact your (-6) is right in between "their" (-6) and (-8) - guess only the external specifications are more or less mandated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (76.1 KB, 21 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (30.7 KB, 19 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (36.8 KB, 19 views)
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC