Thread: correlating GoPro video with TrackAddict files

Potential Tuner

correlating GoPro video with TrackAddict files

I've only ever used TrackAddict with my smartphone video. It's been over a year since I did that. As I recall (looking back at the files I have in ReceRender project) the video and data files for each lap are paired-off with similar file names so you can easily match them up for use in RaceRender. I now have a GoPro. I have it set so TA triggers the GoPro via wifi to start recording. Will I get similar individual lap pairing of video and data file names or is the GoPro going to give me one big multi-lap file? I sure hope the individual lap files are paired up.

The GoPro file naming will still be the default style that the camera uses, but the content of those recordings will be closely synchronized and match the length of your corresponding TrackAddict data recording. Typically, a road course session would contain multiple laps (and you can then select them individually in the software if desired), while each autocross, rally, or drag race recording would contain only that one run.

There is a possibility that you may have multiple GoPro files for one TrackAddict session, if it was long enough to exceed 4GB of file size, because the camera will split it at that point. In that case, the additional files have a slightly different naming convention that indicates which ones go together, and RaceRender is able to recognize that and automatically join them. Just be sure to copy them all onto your computer's hard drive first, rather than operating directly off of the camera or its memory card.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Weston, I'm looking forward to working with the GoPro, TA, and RaceRender in a couple of weeks when I track my car for the first time in a long time. It was all pretty straight forward last time and looks like it will be pretty easy to figure out this time.

Potential Tuner
    Holy cow. Got back from my track day and looked at my Track Addict data files and see that the sessions are not broken out into individual laps.

All I have is
    Out Lap: 0:20.786*
    In Lap: 24:12.966*

Boy that is going to be a bear to sift through. Last time I used TA each session was broken into individual lap numbers and lap time.
    Last edited by Ricknau; 11-19-2016 at 07:39 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I take that back. Not a bear at all. Race Render takes care of it all. Took me a while to learn how to use it with "external" GoPro videos but glad to see it clocks the individual lap times that TA lumps into one big "lap". (Not to mention the seamless joining of the two video files for the session.) Beautiful piece of software!

Tuner in Training
    The other adjustment you need to make is sync the goPro video with the Trackaddict data within RaceRender. Not sure where your camera is positioned, my goPro is mounted behind me (back seat driver) to capture my steering and shifter lever input as well as the view out the front windshield. Found this perspective to most helpful for learning. You may also look into experimenting with the "Record Now" when you're in the staging lane, select the button just before leaving. Discovered by accident, it seems to sync the goPro record start closer to the Trackaddict data.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah I'm having to work a little to get the data and video to sync up. My camera is dash mounted and I have no external car data being recorded. All I have is the G forces from my phone. Using that I can get it close enough. What I could really use is an external GPS receiver. My speed and position goes wonky every now and then. But it's all good enough for a twice-a-year trash-my-car guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricknau View Post
    Holy cow. Got back from my track day and looked at my Track Addict data files and see that the sessions are not broken out into individual laps.

All I have is
    Out Lap: 0:20.786*
    In Lap: 24:12.966*

Boy that is going to be a bear to sift through. Last time I used TA each session was broken into individual lap numbers and lap time.
    In that case, the track selection most likely just wasn't set to the correct start/finish point for the circuit that you were driving on, or there may have been some problem with it. I've done this myself too... In a rush to get ready in the car, forget to set the right track, then go driving and discover that lap timing isn't working.

But as you discovered, taking the data file into RaceRender can often correct it automatically... RaceRender will detect if there aren't any complete laps in the data file, and then attempt to calculate the lap timing based on known circuit start/finish points nearby. We use the same capability to automatically add lap timing to even plain GPS data files that didn't have any lap info to begin with.

Potential Tuner
    Something I would like to do is edit the GPS data file. Specifically the speed. Mine has so many dropouts and bad data areas that it is almost useless to display. Mostly I'd like to apply some smoothing. I know how to work in Excel but I'll bet Race Render reads the .tad file whose format is most likely beyond my ability to edit.

RaceRender reads the .CSV file, so you can edit that in Excel or another spreadsheet program... We'll make more use of the .TAD format in the future, as it can improve load performance and add some new features, but the .CSV output will remain at least an option, and RaceRender would then be able to work with either format.

As for the problem of GPS dropouts and bad areas, we'd usually start attacking that issue by first placing the smartphone on a sturdy windshield mount, which has the benefit of giving it a reasonably clear view to the sky... That can make a big improvement over placing it in a cup holder, in a pocket, etc, but performance will depend on the device, the vehicle, and the situation. Going beyond that, the use of an external GPS unit (Qstarz BT-Q818XT for Android, Dual XGPS160 for iOS) can solve most reception issues and take the data accuracy and precision to the next level... I usually simply velcro the GPS onto the top of the windshield mount, or to the dashboard, and get good results. Some people go to the extreme and mount them on top of the roof of the car, which is theoretically the best spot, but extra care needs to be taken so that you don't lose it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    RaceRender reads the .CSV file, so you can edit that in Excel or another spreadsheet program...
    That's good to hear. I may mess around a little with that.

My problem was that my Ram mount which had held my cellphone in the past now holds the GoPro. My intention was to tape my cell on the dash up against the windshield to get good GPS as well as G forces. But I didn't realize until I got to the track that no tape would stick to my dash board. So I had to wedge the cell phone into a nook way down in my console which made the GPS crappy. I'll probably get an external one before I go out again.

Tuner in Training
    Regarding an external GPS, very good results with the Garmin GLO. It uses GLONASS and GPS for greater accuracy. No issues with consistent BT pairing with my iPhone 6+ and Trackaddict.
    The module is small enough to accommodate varying installation options.