Thread: So f-ing mad. Please help me sort this out. Install / ADD KEY related

Banned

So f-ing mad. Please help me sort this out. Install / ADD KEY related

- I downloaded the demo version a couple of weeks ago.
    - I finally received VCM Suite Standard and am trying to install it.
    - I now have the HP Tuners USB stick plugged in to my laptop + the MPVI (green power light is on).. and am stuck.

I went to install whatever is on the USB drive and it said I already have the latest version. Okay.
    I skipped that part then connected the MPVI. It says in the instructions "When Windows recognizes the interface, it will prompt you for drivers". Yeh well it didn't.
    I don't know if I already have those drivers installed on my laptop or not.. but think I do.
    Inside the USB drive and Drivers folder there are no Driver install files it seems.
    In my Device Manager, I found HP Tuners MPVI Channel A + B. Are they the damn drivers, and if so, why aren't they called "DRIVERS"?

Here's my main question/problem:
    I figured everything was previously installed so I opened up VCM Editor. I entered my Application Key and then my Interface Serial Number automatically loaded up next to my Application Key.
    Cool.
    (Just when I thought all was good..) Now under those 2 there's a blank (text) section asking me to "Add Key" and won't let me select anything or proceed unless I write something in the blank "Add Key" section. WTF is Add Key???! Am I supposed to write "YES you unnecessarily complicated pos, ADD THE DAMN KEY!" or re-write my Application Key in the Add Key section? There's no mention of this anywhere!

Oh how I knew I would have these headphuks during the install

"Can't wait" to get to the Credits part. Bet it's real simple and everything will go smoothly

Tuner in Training
    If you have the key listed all should be well.
    What actual problem are you experiencing while using the software?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolution Stu View Post
    If you have the key listed all should be well.
    What actual problem are you experiencing while using the software?
    Thanks for your quick reply.

It is "asking" me "Add Key" and I'm supposed to type something in.. but I don't know the damn key digits that I'm supposed to enter.

Banned
    I have and entered:
    - Application Key
    - Interface Serial Number

and now out of the blue there's a 3rd section where I'm meant to type some numbers/letters ("Add Key").

Banned
    I can only use the demo version without this "Key" bs.

Banned
    Step 3: Running the Software
    Now, open up VCM Editor for the first time. You can find it in your Start Menu->Programs->HP Tuners->VCM Editor. You will be prompted to enter in an application key. You should have received your application key via e-mail after you placed your order or inside of the box with your interface.

Step 4: All Finished
    You are now ready to use our product...

Yeh no. Not finished.

No mention of "Add Key" in any of their instructions.
    No mention of "Add Key" in Search.

Advanced Tuner
    I would completely un-install the software and then re-install from scratch and see if that helps... It shouldn't be this hard.

Just make sure to save any files you need - they *should* remain there, but I would back them up just in case (config files, logs, tunes, etc).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I would completely un-install the software and then re-install from scratch and see if that helps... It shouldn't be this hard.

Just make sure to save any files you need - they *should* remain there, but I would back them up just in case (config files, logs, tunes, etc).
    Thanks. I was going to mention that but wanted to keep my long post as short as possible.

BUT, even if I do uninstall HP Tuners then install it again, I'm pretty sure "Add Key" will still show up after entering my Application Key.

Tell me something.. what happens after YOU enter your Application Key? Does your Serial number autofill? Have you ever had to enter "Add Key" digits?

Anyone know anything about this "Add Key" BS???????

Banned
    Oh.. and I'm paranoid about being locked out or some BS if I uninstall HP Tuners then re-install it and re-enter my application number.. so I want to avoid doing that unless I'm 100% sure it's okay to do..

"Install the software, install the drivers, open the vcm editor or vcm scanner, nothing thats overly complex really." - Bill@HPTuners (a couple years ago)

Yeh-sure..
    Easy-as..

Sounds like you already added your key. There's no need to keep adding keys if you've already added the key for your only interface.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Oh.. and I'm paranoid about being locked out or some BS if I uninstall HP Tuners then re-install it and re-enter my application number.. so I want to avoid doing that unless I'm 100% sure it's okay to do..

"Install the software, install the drivers, open the vcm editor or vcm scanner, nothing thats overly complex really." - Bill@HPTuners (a couple years ago)

Yeh-sure..
    Easy-as..
    You aren't going to be locked out. You can delete, uninstall, reinstall, whatever, it's not like some software where you get one shot with the key and that's that
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Sounds like you already added your key. There's no need to keep adding keys if you've already added the key for your only interface.
    Thank you.
    But then what am I suppose to do when "Add Key" pops up after I entered my Application key?
    There's no other option. There's no way around it. I HAVE to type SOMETHING in the blank text-area for me to be able to select/click the Add Key box and proceed.

I'll check it again.. brb 5-10mins.

Post a screenshot

Just hit escape or close the form (click the X on the top right). It's that simple.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Banned
    YESSSS! It works!
    So yeah, as Keith wrote above, that was my issue. I thought if/when I clicked on the "X" that my Application Key wouldn't be stored and would be forced to use the demo version..
    but I re-opened VCM Editor + VCM Scanner and checked "Application Keys" and my info was listed there.
    Hooked it all up to my car for the first time, turned the ignition on and it started reading everything... Just recorded a quick log.

Looks like "Add Key" just means "re-enter other application key number".

Thank you everyone. Love you long time. I'm finally going to bed (12:45am here).. and will be able to sleep now.
    Can't wait to record a run tomorrow
    Last edited by Mr. Smith; 11-04-2016 at 08:47 AM.

You can add multiple application keys for multiple interfaces for people/shops that have more than one