Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG. It won't read my PCM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The unlimited gen 3 car license is 30 credits, not 6.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Banned
    Thanks Schpenx..

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Application key just tells the interface how many credits you've paid for basically. Using them is a totally different thing
    Not sure what you mean here, but no.. once you license a particular vehicle/ECM those credits are gone, can't use the same credits for another ECM on the same car

..but I didn't get to the "Credits part" after entering my Application Key. I entered my details (App.Key + Serial ID whatever), then tried reading my PCM and it failed. It didn't ask what credit option I wanted to choose... It didn't eat any of my 8 credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Thanks Schpenx..

..but I didn't get to the "Credits part" after entering my Application Key. I entered my details (App.Key + Serial ID whatever), then tried reading my PCM and it failed. It didn't ask what credit option I wanted to choose... It didn't eat any of my 8 credits.
    It won't ask you to license a vehicle until the tune can be read. If the read failed than no credits were spent. That is to say, I am assuming you are still having a locked ECM problem. It will only ask for credits on a tune that can be modified. You can test this by going to any thread or the repository and looking for a tune file. Try to open it and a window will pop up asking if you want to license it. If you say yes, it will ask again... if you say yes again...bye, bye credits...
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    It won't ask you to license a vehicle until the tune can be read. If the read failed than no credits were spent. That is to say, I am assuming you are still having a locked ECM problem. It will only ask for credits on a tune that can be modified. You can test this by going to any thread or the repository and looking for a tune file. Try to open it and a window will pop up asking if you want to license it. If you say yes, it will ask again... if you say yes again...bye, bye credits...
    YESSSSSS!

Thank you very much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    The unlimited gen 3 car license is 30 credits, not 6.
    Okay, I misread/remembered it.
    So Year/Model License for 6 GM Credits = (for eg.) scan/tune an unlimited amount of 2002(year) LS1's?

Right, you can read the ECM without licensing but you can't save the file or flash it back without licensing.

It won't ask you anything about licensing until after it's successfully read the ECM
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Banned
    Right, you can read the ECM without licensing but you can't save the file or flash it back without licensing.

It won't ask you anything about licensing until after it's successfully read the ECM

At least I still have my 8 credits ............... even though I can't use them to read/tune my damn car

Hopefully they unlock that thing for you.. that's pretty frustrating.

Yeah when you go to license an ECM you'll know it.. it will go through 1 or 2 prompts of ARE YOU SURE before you spend those 2 credits

Banned
    Hopefully they unlock that thing for you.. that's pretty frustrating.

Yeah when you go to license an ECM you'll know it.. it will go through 1 or 2 prompts of ARE YOU SURE before you spend those 2 credits
    Cool.
    I'm not gonna get my old tuner to unlock it since he's charging me. I'm gonna end up swapping my PCM over for another. Just waiting on my work to get in another LS1 powered car..
    Can't phuking wait going

Tuner in Training
    Mr. Smith,

If I remember correctly you can have anyone with EFILive unlock your PCM. They will need to flash in a stock file set not to lock the controller. The factory file should unlock the PCM, but you will loose anything your "tuner" did. You will be dealing with the same problem though, who ever you use with EFILive will have to license the controller to flash ($125). I would have your "tuner" unlock it with a factory file at no cost, and you can take up the tuning side.

Sam

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Okay, I misread/remembered it.
    So Year/Model License for 6 GM Credits = (for eg.) scan/tune an unlimited amount of 2002(year) LS1's?
    No.

year/model license is for 1 year of one model.

For instance you can tune an unlimited amount of 2002 Corvette V8's for 6 credits, if you wanted to tune an unlimited amount of 2002 Camaro's it would be another 6 credits and so on.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Does this work the same on gen 5 GM models?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 RUM View Post
    Mr. Smith,

If I remember correctly you can have anyone with EFILive unlock your PCM. They will need to flash in a stock file set not to lock the controller. The factory file should unlock the PCM, but you will loose anything your "tuner" did. You will be dealing with the same problem though, who ever you use with EFILive will have to license the controller to flash ($125). I would have your "tuner" unlock it with a factory file at no cost, and you can take up the tuning side.

Sam
    Thank you, Sam.
    The thing is, my old tuner wants $100-150 to unlock my PCM (which he locked and didn't tell me at the time) and I can (eventually) get a free PCM from my work (change-over). So I'm better off waiting until my work gets in the right car/PCM. I thought it would take a few days.. but it looks like I'll be waiting a few weeks Beats wasting $100-150 though. I'm not loaded and make f-all.
    Like I wrote in one of my posts.. I like the guy, so I don't wanna demand he unlock it for me for nothing and get into an argument with him. On top of that, he said I'd have to wait a while.. like a month for his (ex-)boss to come back from a holiday to unlock it..
    Btw, my PCM hasn't been tuned. It just had the security crap deleted so it could work with my vehicle.
    Last edited by Mr. Smith; 11-18-2016 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Deleted last few lines since I repeated myself in post #38

Banned
    Does this work the same on gen 5 GM models?
    I'm guessing it does / you can..... but it might cost 8-12 credits instead of 6.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    No.

year/model license is for 1 year of one model.

For instance you can tune an unlimited amount of 2002 Corvette V8's for 6 credits, if you wanted to tune an unlimited amount of 2002 Camaro's it would be another 6 credits and so on.
    Thank you. That's what I thought.. just forgot to add "model" in my post. There's only 1 model for a 2002 LS1 in my country I believe.

I was certain I was gonna do the 6 credits thing.... but now thinking I'm probably better off just choosing the single vehicle option for 2 credits.
    Can I sell 6 of my credits back to you? I can do $500 for 2 or $800 for 6.

The credits are not transferable or re-sellable, as they are locked to the MPVI through the Application Key.
    Sometimes I stick an ice cream cone to my forehead and pretend I'm a Unicorn...!

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    At this point I highly recomend downoading another file from the repository with same year, make, model, engine as your current vehicle just to look over and become firmiliar with. It will ask you to license it, just say no and you can still download and look at and learn it all you want for free. Just name it "SAMPLE TUNE" so you don't confuse it later on for something else. That way you can get a jump on the learning curve at your leisure and get an idea of what you're trying to change knowing what you plan on doing once you finally "step into the ring" and do your first tune on that bad boy. There will also be a far better absorbtion of the learning material that way as opposed to the urgency felt with an already tunable car right in front of you and a whole bunch of new tables you have'nt seen or learned yet, suddenly available all at once.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jggregory99 View Post
    The credits are not transferable or re-sellable, as they are locked to the MPVI through the Application Key.
    Thanks for the info. I was only messing around btw..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    At this point I highly recomend downoading another file from the repository with same year, make, model, engine as your current vehicle just to look over and become firmiliar with. It will ask you to license it, just say no and you can still download and look at and learn it all you want for free. Just name it "SAMPLE TUNE" so you don't confuse it later on for something else. That way you can get a jump on the learning curve at your leisure and get an idea of what you're trying to change knowing what you plan on doing once you finally "step into the ring" and do your first tune on that bad boy. There will also be a far better absorbtion of the learning material that way as opposed to the urgency felt with an already tunable car right in front of you and a whole bunch of new tables you have'nt seen or learned yet, suddenly available all at once.
    Thank you. I've been wanting to do that but can't find a tune/file for my type of vehicle/model/application. I found other similar ones though and took a good look at everything + played with the tunes + am slowly learning how to tune + checked out the default sample tunes/files...

Questions to all (please help.. even if you can only answer 1 qn.. will be much appreciated):

- I finally have access to the right type of PCM/car I need to switch my PCM over with. Just to be clear, the plan is to switch my locked '02 LS1 PCM for a (hopefully unlocked and factory tuned) '01 LS1 PCM, which is in a car at my work, which we will sell/wreck. Will it be a simple plug n play deal, or will both cars fail to start because of some security crap or something? And if so, can I sort both cars out with VCM Suite?

- Would it be a good or stupid idea if I connected my HP Tuners to the car at my work and licensed the PCM before removing it from the car, or will I stuff myself over by doing that? I just want to be sure the PCM will work with my VCM Suite and is unlocked, before I go ripping out interiors/computers...

- Is there a place online which has factory tune files which you can download of every (tunable) car, or am I going to have to make a "factory tune files" thread here in the near future?

- I won't have any issues going from a 2002 PCM to a 2001 PCM, correct? Just want to be 100% sure.

https://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php

This has a lot of stock tunes but the search feature is pretty useless. May help, may not.. give it a shot if you're trying to find a stock file

I wouldn't license anything until it's in your car just to be sure you don't waste any credits somehow

Banned
    https://www.hptuners.com/customers/tune.php

This has a lot of stock tunes but the search feature is pretty useless. May help, may not.. give it a shot if you're trying to find a stock file

I wouldn't license anything until it's in your car just to be sure you don't waste any credits somehow
    Thanks. I'll wait then. Hopefully that other PCM isn't locked too..

I remember seeing that HPT Customers page a few weeks ago but didn't bother making an account. Will make one today..